Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Building a Gentle Lady!

Old 12-01-2004, 04:23 PM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Gentle Lady!

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

Have a couple left. Ask Mark about quality.
If you have a couple for sale --I'm interested---Let me know where,and how much...Thanks ---Joann
Old 12-01-2004, 04:26 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Joann, Send me an e-mail. Have two rounds (O-Chutes) black and red almost ready to go. Need to dress the ends of the lines after they are tied to the bottom ring. I have the light weight top rings for hi-starts.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:23 PM
mr_frogdude

Yep,

I loved the feeling of going up instead of down! I tried to fly today but AFTER I got the hi-start setup it got a little too windy for me! I realized that it took a while to set up the hi-start and adjust for wind...so I launched anyways!!! The wind was almost overpowering, but I managed. Its cool how the Lady just floats on the wind for such a long time! I got off two launches and then decided to call it a day. After I got the hi-start wound back up...the wind stopped!!!!!!!!! *FIGURES*

I was using the small up-start this time for lack of field(I wasnt at the alfalfa field)...it works well now that I take 30 LARGE steps, this is about maximum stretch! I usually get 175-200ft launches off this one. The alfalfa field that I usually go to is HUGE so I use the regular hi-start here(~500ft launches!)! The cool thing about this field is that there is always a hawk in the area...this should aid my beginner skills!!!

The quality of Socals chutes are superior to the normal type. I like the way they always open and return the line toward you! These are top-notch!!!

MTT: Whenever I see those puffy clouds I wish I was in the air! I do all of those things and more! AWWW, its getting dark...oh well, tomarrow is another day!

Hopefully I'll be able to fly tomarrow!!!

Well...talk to ya later,
Mark
Old 12-02-2004, 08:14 AM
smoking joe

Yesseree, he's hooked!!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:22 PM
mr_frogdude

I was able to fly today,

I had two great flights out of the 1&1/2 haurs of flying. Today was a very good day to fly...little wind and heating rapidly(from sweatshirt to t-shirt weather!). My first launch lasted about 5-7 minutes, hooked a tiny thermal again and lost it!

But a few launches later proved to be the best flying I've had yet!!! I launched(200ft) and was riding the wind when I saw my whole plane going up for a little bit...so when it wasnt lifting anymore I turned downwind and just kept turning when I saw any lift. All I could think was how much I wanted to go up high, so I was doing 15ft circles in order to stay in it! This thermal took me up an extra 200-300ft or so! It was awesome! I eventually lost it a ways downwind so I headed back upwind floating ever so slowly....................as I was getting ready to position the Lady to land I spotted a Hawk just getting started in a thermal right over my house!! I was a little higher than he was so I started circling a tad downwind from him, and sure enough there was the lift! This thermal was weaker than the one before, and it died after 2 minutes or so...I didnt see where the Hawk went so I landed after searching for some more lift.

This was the best flight I have had so far!

Any suggestions of how to stay in the lift when you are downwind(kind of hard to see the plane)???

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-02-2004, 07:31 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Don't fly too far down wind. Always search for thermals up wind. Bail out of them when you are over head and go back up wind to find another.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:39 PM
mr_frogdude

Will do that thanks

Mark

ANYONE ELSE HAVE SOME THOUGHTS??? OR MORE FROM YOU??
Old 12-02-2004, 07:52 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Don't SHOUT!

Other tips? Keep the wings level when landing. Don't "pull" the plane off of the hi-start. Should be slack in the line so the parachute is pulled off of the tow hook. Don't trample the alfafa as it is some ones income.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:13 PM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

Mark:

You mentioned the hawk is generally at the field when you fly. Watch him every time he flys. He is the master and can teach you a lot about flying in thermals. Be aware that hawks can get an attitude during mating season and can be agressive.

Remember that thermals move downwind and you will have to let your plane drift downwind with the thermal. However, while you are learning your plane don't let it get too far downwind that you can't get back. There is generally an area of sink just upwind of a thermal, so watch for that phenomenon.

Spend some time reading the Jake McHone's threads on RC Groups.

If you can get out to a glider club field, some of the regulars can help you with your technique and can help you learn to spot lift and reading the signals your plane is sending you. Most of it is experience and being familiar with your plane.

Glad everything is going well. You are on your way. Fly whenever you can. Experience IS the best teacher.

EJ
Old 12-03-2004, 07:07 PM
mr_frogdude

Thanks Guys,
Sure do appreciate the comments!

Mark
Old 12-03-2004, 10:29 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_frogdude

I found the site! Thanks, The rubber is 40' long and the string is 200' long...it said to take 10 steps back, umm thats how many I took, but it wasn't enough or something! I should be flying again this weekend, hopefully the only thing that broke was the crystal!!!!!

Mark
Got this from page 3 of the posts. The Whisper is a lightweight little 55 inch model. It's quite likely the mini start that came intended for the whisper isn't long enough or powerful enough for a model of the GL's size and weight. In fact it's most likely not long enough. If the rubber will only support 10 paces of stretch then it sure won't have the length of pull to get the Lady as high as it needs to be. That lack of pull is probably what caused the crash.

Sorry to read that you pranged it Frogdude. But this is just another reason why it's wise to get connected with a club. It's very likely the more experienced folks would have identified the problem before you tried to fly.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:02 PM
k4kjf

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

Joann, Send me an e-mail. Have two rounds (O-Chutes) black and red almost ready to go. Need to dress the ends of the lines after they are tied to the bottom ring. I have the light weight top rings for hi-starts.
This is an old thread, I know. But it has been quite helpful to me, a new pilot getting ready to my launch my Gentle Lady on a High Start for the first time.

I bought 100 ft of rubber tubing, had mason's twine given to me, and also bought a few rings and even a reel (meant for electrical cord storage). But..... can't find a parachute for it. Temporarily I'm just going to use a streamer ribbon, but would really prefer a chute. So, can anyone point me at a source? Tower shows the Dynaflight parachute as discontinued.

So Cal GliderGuider, maybe you make these or have a source? Anyway would appreciate any info or comment.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 05-20-2007, 06:31 PM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

Northeast Sailpanes (www.nesail.com) is still showing the chutes he uses on his high starts as available separately. His chute works really nice, but he will kill you with postage and handling on just one chute.

I picked up a couple at the hobby shop near the AMA field in Muncie last summer, but I don't like them as well. SoCal makes a great winch chute but it may be a little big and heavy for a high start.

I have seen some advertised on ebay. You might keep an eye open there. Again watch the shipping and handling fees. Some folks there will rip you off on shipping.

Also check out the chutes from www.aerofoam.com. They look pretty good. I am needing a couple myself and may try those out. I have not used one yet, but the material looks to be the same as NSP's but with better (maybe) lines.

I have used Ray Hayes chutes, but have not been real happy with the material they are made of.

EJ
Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 PM
k4kjf

EJ – Lots of good information for me there. Thanks!

I finished off my home made high start (with the streamer instead of the chute) and gave it a try this afternoon. Ten launches! First ever off a high start for me. All were acceptable, even smooth. I expected more moments of sheer terror as the Lady veered off to the left or right, or dove to the ground. – Didn't happen. More detailed account here:
[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7494769&postcount=2[/link]

Both the Northeast Sailplanes and the Aerofoam chutes look good to me. I guess I'll just have to find more things besides the chute that I need to order to justify the shipping and handling. Hope my wife sees it that way.

Thanks for the info.

Ken