Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

closed

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 02:23 PM
zastarri
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default closed

closed
Old 08-14-2002, 03:12 PM
KevinSheen

Default closed

Absolutely, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one.

Some would call it THE best.

Kevin
Old 08-14-2002, 06:10 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winch

I was reading through the specs of that winch, it says it uses a Ford 6V starter motor.
Do you run that on a 12 V battery ?
If so, how long does the motor hold up to this ?

All the winches I've seen so far, use 12 V batteries, but I don't know what kind of motors they use.

Michael
Old 08-15-2002, 01:04 PM
R. Carver

Default closed

Most use the 6v motors, you might run into one every now and then with a 12v motor.
We run the 6v ones on our club winches, and usually replace them about once a year. But we really abuse them, lots of launches year-round with hard-pulling planes. One of our club members has a Rahm winch that's quite a few years old with the original motor (not a club winch) that is still going strong.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:47 AM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Default closed

Here's the shortcomings of that winch package on eBay:

The winch has two solenoids, but only one switch in the foot pedal. Both solenoids close at the same time and they both see the big current surge. If the contacts on one solenoid weld closed, you won't know it until the other solenoid goes bad and the winch "runs away".

The turnaround uses a pulley made for turning the steel control cables on light planes. The pulley has a ball bearing that is designed for very low speed, back and forth motion, at moderate loads. Remember, the load on the turnaround is up to TWICE the tension on the winch line and that line is really hauling.

The turnaround pulley has a narrow opening that is easy to jam if the line picks up a twig. The pulley swivels on the stake, but remains vertical. If you fly off to one side or have to pull the line out of the weeds, the line rubs hard on the pulley cheeks causing wear on the line and eating up your winch power. If the line falls behind the stake, you have to go across the field to fix it.

Why in the world would anyone want to carry all that hardware up with the plane every time they launch. You don't need a swivel at all if you use braided line. You don't need a steel chain quick-link if you can tie a loop in a line. The chute arrangement I use when launching my 10-pound Sagitta XC weighs 0.5 ounce. I can get it on and off quicker than you can unscrew that quick-link. Carrying all that weight puts additional stress on the plane and decreases launch altitude. The photo shows the chute in the process of being attached to the winch line.

If you're interested in learning how to build a super-safe truly redundant footswitch or a no-snag self-aligning ball bearing turnaround, let me know.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21663_1890.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	13603  
Old 08-16-2002, 01:23 AM
yf12z

Default Winch Doc Winch

The Winch Doc Winch is by far the best winch on the market.

The fellow who posted above is seriously incorrect in what
he is saying.

1. Dual Solenoids is absolutely the way to go. This winch
has hardly been used. You are thousands of cycles
away from a potential solenoid sticking. Think of
your car and how many starts you get without a
problem. The only accessory you could add would
be a master on/off switch as a safety feature which
are cheap.

2. The turnaround shown is also fantastic. You want
a lightweight pully as shown not a metal one as
the phenolic pully will spool up much faster.
The turnaround swivels and you never run
up against the anodized aluminum sides.
The Samson line is so slick that twigs are not
an issue.

3. The ball bearing swivel and disconnect are standard
weighing less than an ounce. Not any problem
for a strong winch like this.

4. Absolutely do not use the type of line in Rogerflies
argument. IT IS DANGEROUS. That line will cut you
like a knife. Use the Sampson line. If it gets caught
or hangs up it will break before it cuts your hand or
leg off. You don't need 600 pounds of tensile strength
in model winches.

This guy is trying to sell you his bag of beans product and
is critical of the best product out there.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:42 AM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Default closed

I'm all for dual solenoids, but when have you ever seen a car with a six volt starter and a 12-volt battery that you had to crank thirty times in fifteen seconds?? Admit it-- we abuse these solenoids and having a footswitch with a separate switch for each solenoid and having it set up so that one solenoid closes just a little before the other one adds a bit of safety. Saying something bad won't happen adds zip. Too bad, while you were diving for the safety switch, you missed seeing the wings shear off.

I agree, the pulley should be light. That's why I use Delrin, just like the pulleys on racing sailboats (which are also fully self-aligning).

Where in the world did the 600 pounds come from? I launch my ten pound XC with 120 pound line. True, it is braided nylon and it will cut, but it's a minor difference between cutting and burning through something. ANY kind of line is potentially dangerous. The smallest SAMSON line I could find in their catalog is 200 pound solid braid.

Did I offer to sell anything? True, I DO sometimes sell things, but if you seriously want to know how I build them, I'll tell you everything you need to know for free. I've attached a parts photo to get you started. I don't see any beans, though.

Something else I'll let you have for free (if I can find them in the pile of junk) is a couple of phenolic aircraft cable pulleys with worn out bearings.

What a coincidence--the fellow selling the winch on eBay calls himself zastarri, just like the fellow who started this thread. Seems like he would already know if it was a good winch. Hmmmm.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21692_1890.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	13604