Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Construction Questions for Caleb F5B

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Construction Questions for Caleb F5B

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 05:36 PM
dave long

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Construction Questions for Caleb F5B

Although I have been into RC for a few years this is my first shot at an electric powered sailplane. I am looking for construction tips on servo mounting (ailerons and elevator), motor mounting and battery placement (CG). This plane is a single wing 71" fully molded aircraft. Any ideas or web sites?
Old 08-16-2002, 08:22 PM
derick veliz

Default Caleb F5B 10 cells

I have a Caleb and it's a wonderfull machine!!!

Caleb:
Pure Fun!!!
Power Drive S geared 4.3:1 I changed the spinner for a Graupner Precision Spinner, this uses a shorter yoke so the 14-9.5 prop is really a 14” prop, because using the regular 40mm spinner the prop was almost 15”. 10 cells 2400. HS-85 for ailerons, HS-81 for elevator

I can’t believe how nice this plane is…. Fast, slow, acrobatic, it’s really a multitask sailplane even soaring is possible, when I’m showing off, my flights are around 10-13 minutes this is going straight up and diving like crazy for high speed passes, also inverted, loops and rolls make’s everybody go… Wow … and when I fly next to gliders soaring is a pleasure, even with 5 or 6 dives, I have been able to keep up my plane flying for 37 minutes!!! Amazing!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21758_12979.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	13749  
Old 08-16-2002, 09:42 PM
dave long

Default Response to Caleb

I am curious how you mounted your servos, motor, etc. What is the best CG? No instructions in box and this is my first sailplane although I have built several Aerobatic planes. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:06 AM
derick veliz

I will have pictures and details...next week.

the CG is 35-40% from the LE
the servos in the wing are easy to install, I sused some expoxi to hold them in place.

the really trick is the servo for the elevator, I trim out a HS-81, also trimed some of the fuselage to make it fit and put a little piece of wood to make the space wider.... on the other end I cut off some of the tail (you'll see the pictures).

D.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	21809_12979.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	13750  
Old 08-17-2002, 02:11 AM
derick veliz

Just be carefull,
to get everything in place and very well done! this is not a aerobatic plane is a Multitask High Performace!!! the way I set it up has Unlimited vertical then you can fly like a glider but much faster, keep up speed to mantain level flight, then diving will put you over 100-120 mph + !!!!!! landings need long aproach and lots of field!!! glide ratio feels for ever!

D.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:45 AM
dave long

What are the throws for elevator and ailerons up and down.

Did you glue a piece of balsa to the vertical stab and then glue the elevator servo to the balsa?

How does the battery mount (velcro?)

I understand that you use 2 batteries. 1 for the reciever and 1 for the motor. Is this correct?
Old 08-17-2002, 03:25 PM
derick veliz

"What are the throws for elevator and ailerons up and down."
YOU MAY WANT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN GET, AND HAVE EXPONENTIAL AND DIFFERENCIAL. (I'LL SHOW THIS WITH PICTURES)

"Did you glue a piece of balsa to the vertical stab and then glue the elevator servo to the balsa? "
NO, SERVO BARELY FITS IN THE VERTICAL STAB.

"How does the battery mount (velcro?) "
YES.

"I understand that you use 2 batteries. 1 for the reciever and 1 for the motor. Is this correct?"
YES.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:58 PM
dave long

Default More Caleb Questions

Thanks for your response. Here are a few more questions:

What is the best sequence of electronics (Speed Control, Reciever Battery, Power Battery, Reciever) in the nose?

Did you use the aileron control horn that was supplied? If so how did you mount it to the aileron?

Did you use a faring to cover the aileron linkage? If so dod you glue it in place?

Did you wire both ailerons together and exit the wing with a single plug?

Can you supply more details on how you squeezed the elevator servo in the vertical stab with enough room for proper servo movement?

How did you set up your elevator control horn for easy tail removal?

Thanks again for your time.