Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Slope Soaring in NC

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 AM
MWShelton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slope Soaring in NC

I ride a motorcycle and I travel the Parkway a lot. But since I am not a slope flyer I really dont know what the requirements would be for a decent site. I fly a Radian and an Ascent, love sailplanes. It would be great to have a site in the mountains an hour or so away. There's some purist in me that would love to be able to fly without a motor.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:24 PM
da Rock

What would the requirements be? Repost of one that was 3 or 4 posts back today. :
ORIGINAL: da Rock

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

That doesn’t sound like much fun.

Maybe we should scout out a real slope flying place. During my motorcycle rides I've seen tons of over looks. There has to be one we can fly from. I've been thinking of starting a statewide amphibious airplane club and have members find places to fly. Maybe we should put together a statewide slope club and have members scout out good launch sites.

Now that's a good idea. OK, two good ideas.

The idea about looking for slopes is so good that I just shot off an email to a flying buddy who rides. It never dawned on me to ask him to look for slopes.

What you need to look for:
1. A place to fly from.
2. A slope face toward the prevailing wind.
3. A decently clear face.
4. It needs to be wide enough to use.
5. Access

Look at the post that follows it (back 2 or 3 posts) for more info on the 1-5 things to look for.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:53 PM
sdavis9990

Sweet, my wife and I both Ride Bikes and she likes to watchus fly. I have just found a new Thermal site off Old Statesville Road North of Charlotte. Igot permission today to fly electric and gliders there anytime. How about a new Thermal Club as well? Sailplanes only!!

I have found several Slope sites up in VA off the parkway. One area that had great slopes with grass landing areas was up around MM 140 in VA. These face East and or West and there were several to pick from. I don't know to many in NC. One future site will be available in 4-5 years is the current Dump next to Lowes Motor Speedway. This is a dirt hill running N/ S for approx 1/4 mile and about 300 /400 ft high. Its all grass with no trees and although still in use, there is word of a park at some point in the future. Should be something like Mt. Trashmore in VA Beach.

I would like to start up a new Thermal Club here in Charlotte. Any takers, email me at [email protected] What would we need to do with the AMA to charter a new club?

Bikes:
Wifes Bike: Aprilia Pegaso 650
Mine: BMW GS Adventure

We ride anytime!!!! Can't figure out how to transport my sailplanes on my bike yet... Hmmmm need to build a new trailer to haul gliders.

Scott

Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 PM
sdavis9990

amphibious airplane club: 1+ I have a Twin Otter on Floats. I fly some from High Rock Lake from my boat. Mostly a summer thing. Don't know of any good old farm ponds to fly from.

Scott
Old 10-17-2010, 06:46 PM
da Rock

Amphibious GLIDERS towed aloft by motercicles...... I'm for it.

Might have to come down some day and bring a couple of my older generation gliders and high starts. Wonder if they're still usable.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:16 PM
sdavis9990

Hahahahha!!
But we could retreve the High Start via motorcycle!

Rock, bring you gear next Sunday. Shoot me an email and I will give directions. The new site is alarge grass field about 500 yds long by 200 wide. There isa plowed field just up the road that isn't to hard to get over and up you go.

Today I was up goofing around and wasjoined by15-20 Buzzards! They showed me a newthermal, and my BOT Kicked some Buzzard ass going up. After a few minutes in the thermal, Iwound upway over the group of birds. I wish I could have taken some photos.

Scott
Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

The glider field sounds good. I'd like to check it out.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 PM
sdavis9990

PM sent! Let me know when you go and I will try to meet you there.

Scott
Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 AM
da Rock

Want an example?

Here's what a decent slope looks like. And what most people consider to be your usual slope site.

Yes, the picture was duplicated from another thread. (Which has more than one decent looking slope picture in the posts, although not of slopes you might find in the Smokies. )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52507.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1521948  
Old 04-03-2021, 10:48 AM
da Rock

Just checking.....
anybody still around