Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
 DG - 800 Repair Advice Request >

DG - 800 Repair Advice Request

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

DG - 800 Repair Advice Request

Old 12-06-2004, 12:16 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DG - 800 Repair Advice Request

I am about to work on my friends plane and would like any advice you might care to share. I have glassed wood and glass/resin fuses, but never a gel coated scale plane. There may be some advice you can provide on the repair.

He has a scale DG800 glider. All FG fuse. See photos below. I think it is a 3.2M plane.

He made a rather hard landing today and cracked the canopy area and around the wing rods. I am going to fix it with him using 2 oz glass and epoxy resin.

I don't know the make of the plane. If you know, please post it.

If you look at the photos, you can see some of the cracks, breaks, etc. Any advice on how much to apply? 1 layer, two layers of 2 oz cloth? I also have 3/4, so maybe 1 layer 2 oz and finish it with 1 layer 3/4 extending out behind the main patch area.

Apply glass on inside? Outside? Both? Perhaps 2 layers of 2 oz inside and 1 layer of 3/4 outside for strength and finishing purposes.

I plan to take all the cracks and line them up and CA them together prior to the application of Epoxy and glass. This should provide strength in the crack AND hold the alignment while I am working the area with glass and resin. Any thoughts or concerns around this plan?

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98633.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	199880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10011.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	199881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89339.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	199882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20052.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	199883  
Old 12-06-2004, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DG - 800 Repair Advice Request

Some people like to jig the fuselage into a straight position and open up the cracks with a Dremel cut-off wheel. Then seal the outside of the cracks with masking tape. Then glass the inside area with 1 layer heavy glass (2 oz is OK) followed by a larger layer of lighter glass (3/4 oz is ok). The cracks then fill nicely with resin and the cloth adds the strength. Final finish can be achieved with a good sand and fill with Car Body filler.

Alternatively, if the cracks are light you can get away with using cyno to glue them and follow the glass cloth route on the inside. I've done both and both have worked well. I don't usually apply glass to the outside unless the fuselage has snapped in half because hiding the outer cloth is difficult.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:11 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: DG - 800 Repair Advice Request

Thanks for the suggestions.

Based on research and a very active thread on another forum, here is the current plan:

Here is the plan - your comments welcome

1) Allign and CA all the breaks, cracks and such I can find.

2) rough sand the interior. Then apply a 2oz patch on the inside across all the major breaks. Let it set.

3) Lightly sand the patches to smooth and to skuff the surface. Add a 2oz layer on top of the above patches and across the entire interior of the cockpit area - see note below.

4) Exterior repair of major breaks as per the sugestions above.

5) I am considering a final layer of 3/4 oz cloth across the entire cockpit area back to the spar to tie it all together. see note below.

My leaning now it to glass the entire cockpit area as per above steps to help strengthen all the little hairline cracks and cracks that may be hidden. The plane is not new and the pilot is not very experienced with it. This will not be the last hard landing, I am sure. I think a little extra reinforcement may be in order. This will tie together everything on the interior.

The plane takes a bunch of lead in the nose to balance it, so I don't think the small amount of added weight will matter. This is all well forward of the CG. Otherwise I fear we are just going to be fixing the next crack as another hidden one opens up.

For the exterior, we will use the approach suggested above to address the exterior of the major cracks and breaks. I have a strong desire to then add a layer of 3/4 oz on the whole nose area, again to tie it all together, but that may be going too far.

My tendancy is to over build and over reinforce. Am I going too far? Where?

Also, FWIW, I am pretty confident that his is a Gerasis plane which was distribued in the US by Hobby Lobby. They no longer carry it.

All input is welcome. I have worked with glass before, but never on a scale ship, so your magic is welcome here!