Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Gentle Lady electric

Old 12-17-2004, 01:54 AM
nitrowatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gentle Lady electric

My wife built a gentle lady (with much less help than I thought may be needed...except for covering) and loves flying it with a norvel .061. The norvel makes a mess and dosen't have much power although she's getting pretty good at flying/thermaling...but the motor's a pain in the butt. I've got quite a selection of BL power setups and I'm thinking a Himax outrunner may be a good choice. Any suggestions? BTW I have many Lipos to choose from. ---thanks ---Dennis
Old 12-17-2004, 10:57 AM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: Gentle Lady electric

The Gentle Lady was designed as "Pure Glider",and as such,is very lightly built. My suggestion would be--Buy a "Piece of Cake",or better yet--The "Butterfly" . These are designed for gas,but would adapt to electric very easily. Problem with electric is the weight of the motor,combined with the Weight of a battery pack stresses the wing immensly. If you really want to enjoy the Lady--put it up with a hi-start. No drag from a motor/propellor. Find a thermal,and soar with the Eagles. For real enjoyment--build the Butterfly,and tow the lady up,then cut her loose,and enjoy it that way--requires two pilots... Good Luck,and Happy Holidays....
Old 12-17-2004, 01:06 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GL adapts sweetly to electric..
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/eGLcg2.htm
Old 12-18-2004, 01:05 AM
nitrowatt

Thanks for the link Paul. My setup will be less than half the weight of that with more power...so if that works, I'm sure my BL will do it. Amelia, my first rc plane 20 years ago was actually a piece o cake with a Cox Baby Bee .049...I must say that the GL is a bit more 'slippery' than the POC...less drag. The tow idea sounds very attractive...since I've a friend with a Butterfly. I'm inclined to cowl the motor in nice and use a folding prop. My wife wants to be in control from launch until landing. Thanks everyone.