Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Oracover v. Coverite

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:02 AM
jkirby65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oracover v. Coverite

Hello everyone,

I am about ready to cover a 110" Big Bird from Skybench. I like oracover (now polycover from Hobby Lobby), but I wanted to order a CG machine from Tower Hobbies. I was hoping to avoid ordering things from two different places, so I was considering other covering options. How does Coverite 21st Century Film compare to Oracover/Polycover? What about lighter weight covering? Is a 110" wingspan too big to cover with 21st Century Microlite Film? Any suggestions/comments/opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 03-18-2005, 10:13 AM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Oracover v. Coverite

Use a full strength covering for the 110" Big Bird. You can use the 21st Century Coverite film. Don't use the Microlite. Not enough strength for that size plane. I find that Oracover or Ultracoat (same product) work a little easier than the 21st Century film, but 21st Centrury film will certainly do the job. You can get Monokote from Tower as well.

Hope this helps.

EJ
Old 03-19-2005, 10:20 AM
ChuckA

I will not use anything but Monokote on open bay sailplane wings. Oracover is better than light weight weight covering but I have seen a flutter problem on launch solved when the Oracover was replaced by Monokote. Oracover is just too flexable to add the necessary stiffness to the wing.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

@chuck

Sorry to disagree about the oracover vs. monokote regarding flutter.

I have been using oracover on all my planes powered or sailplanes and never had a problem. If you had flutter it was probably another reason.

On of my planes is a Diamond Dust and it flys over 200 miles / h and it is covered with Oracover due to manufacturer instructions I ask him why and he said if I use monokote it will crack and fly away also he told me that at this speed the monokote would flutter.

Manufactures of high quality planes such as Multiplex use oracover on their planes due to the high quality of the material.

Saludos,
Landi