Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Terminator HLG

Old 12-27-2001, 04:08 PM
Chopper01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terminator HLG

Gday,

I found some plans for this nice HLG at the Charles River page, it seems like a super easy glider to put together. Something to fly while I work on the Spirit. Has anyone built this thing before? If so please share your thoughts and experiences.

Check it out:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...minatorhlg.htm

Thanks, Chopper
Old 12-27-2001, 05:35 PM
KevinSheen

Default Terminator HLG

I haven't built or flown one myself but have heard good things about them. I'm going to start working on an Uplink soon, it is a SAL (side-arm launch) HLG.

Do you plan on sheeting the wings with balsa or vacuum bagging them with fiberglass?

I'm working on a RES-MAXX wing right now, last night I pulled the center panel out of a vacuum bag. It was my first time sheeting with balsa instead of CF / FG. It turned out pretty good. I was a little surprised to see the epoxy pulled through the wood sheeting pores in some spots.

(BTW, most of the glider guys hang out on RCSE. Let me know if you want more info.)

good luck with the Spirit / Terminator,

Kevin
Old 12-28-2001, 10:28 PM
Chopper01

Default Terminator HLG

I do plan on sheeting the wings, just have to wait for my wood to arrive (LHS charges 4 bucks per 1/32 sheet!) from BalsaUSA. What do you think about using a pull/pull control system with lightweight fishing line instead of the cable/tube method?

I think I found RCSE, a Yahoo message group right?

Thanks, Chopper
Old 12-29-2001, 12:32 AM
KevinSheen

Default Terminator HLG

You got it.

Good luck with the Terminator, let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:23 AM
denete

Default Terminator HLG

RCSE is not a yahoo group (although there is a yahoo group 'soaring' which is subscribed to the list and acts like a repository).

If you built the Terminator and sheet the wings, I would suggest using laminating epoxy and .75 oz glass under the balsa sheeting. The glass acts as a great sandwich material for holding the balsa to the foam and adds stiffness that the trailing edge desparately needs.

Have fun.

- David
Old 01-07-2002, 06:27 AM
Tom-RCU

Default Terminator

Hi,

I've built two Terminators (and will probably build another). Both are balsa sheeted.

Some of the things I learned and you should look out for.
1. Watch the weight. Theyare very sensitive to an extra ounce or two.
Places where you gain weight.
a. Excess adhesive for the wing skins.
b. Excess epoxy in attaching the boom to the pod.
c. Balsa selection. (Wings, pod, tail) A *gram* scale is very handy.
d. The little things like bulkheads and the plywood for attaching the wing bolts.
e. The boom. Not all arrow shafts are suitable. Paying a few $$ more for something like an Avia kite framing tube can save you some weight where it really matters.

2. I trimmed the pod down from the plans and like it better.

3. I used 3M 77 on one wing and vacuum bagged the balsa with laminating resin on the other, both work.

4. Use the smallest amount of resin you can imagine and don't skimp on the 3M 77.

For flying, trim it such that it "cruises" with no up elevator. If you have the CG forward and then fly with some up elevator, that's very stable but makes a big throw more difficult.

Keep the control throws small.

If you don't have a computer radio that can handle the differential mixing of a v-tail, I have found that you need to give it a little down when starting a turn or you will tip stall.

It's a great plane. I was sloping it today with just a breath of air and catching the occasional thermal that would drift by.

-Tom
Old 01-18-2002, 06:19 PM
zagi_flyer

Default Terminator HLG

hi i have build one and i put it to good use. so now i am designing my own dlg with the same type of fuselage and using the kahu tail feathers. i am 15 years old and have built a bug and a gnat micro hlg.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:04 PM
Cadet

Default Terminator HLG

Welcome to RCUniverse Zagi-Flyer! We're all here to help so feel free to use the email and PM functions at the bottom of the posts.
Cheers,
Grant