Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Foam, Coro and Balsa Glider

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:27 PM
coro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam, Coro and Balsa Glider

I usually build with Coroplast and decided to try incorporate foam into a glider I need for the summer. I already had a Gentle Lady balsa wing (shortened by a foot and a bit after a crash). I don't have much time and so decided to make it from 2 pieces of 2mm coro sandwiched between 3 pieces of 3/4 insulation foam.
I made the canopy from a shampoo bottle, and sanded foam with 100 grit (gently). I then glazed the entire aircraft with a heat gun (v. careful) and sanded lightly with 600grit. This sealed up the foam and I'm sure will reduce some of the drag.

All in all this fuselage and tail can be built in about 12 hours.

Does anyone know if foam can be painted?

Happy thermaling,

I'll post a flt report later this week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64629.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	288055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54414.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	288056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62257.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	288057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv61012.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	288058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74259.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	288059  
Old 06-22-2005, 07:00 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Foam, Coro and Balsa Glider

coro,

Nice job! Looks like it'll fly nicely, especially on the slope.

I'm sure that acrylic or latex paints would do the foam just fine. Anything else, just try on a scrap piece to see if it works.

papermache
Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 AM
pnslcs

Krylon (I think it is) makes a paint specfically for foam. Do not use the standard aerosol paint. It will melt your plane.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Epoxy Cup

Coro
I am thinking of building the other way. I happened to get a foam wing from one of those large T-birds or whatever they are called (all in one trainer) . I want to use an Aluminmum arrow shaft for boom with a foam pod. This will be followed by coroplast tail feathers. I figure I can take it to the coast throw it from the cliffs and if I lose it in the ocean I will not be out a whole lot.
As far as paint goes, I used this kind on a GWS foam beaver. It is Tamiya color for plastics. You can find it at most any Hobby shop. I used the yellow TS-16. If you get some be sure to test on scrap foam first. The beaver looks like it is made from just your standard white foam it's not EPS or anything sofisticated.