Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Stahl Schweizer

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stahl Schweizer

http://www.theplanpage.com/esp/schglider.htm

has anyone made this plan in rc? i have a surpluss of wood, 2 extra servos, and a reciever. the plan has a wingspan of 39 in. i was thinking of enlarging the plans to get a wingspan of 78 in. with rudder/elivater. this was a free flight glider. is the airfoil ok for an rc glider? it looks like a flat bottom trainer wing profile. shuld i add washout? this will be my second glider. i am working on a lanier u2 convertion now. if this is not a good plan for a second glider i will get something else but i would like to build this now because i wont have the time later. it will also look good hanging in my room. also how much dihedral shuld i put in the wing?
thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 08:23 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Stahl Schweizer

You would need to double the number of ribs so there's enough support for the structure and the covering in the double sized version. And also redesign the spar system to take high start pulls. Plan on using 1/8x1/4 flat spruce top and bottom with fore and aft 1/16 hard webbing caps. This would also make it easier to add in the wing tubes inside the "box" for the joiner rod. 1/4 wire for such a model would be fine for the gentle way it'll be flown. To that open style of wing I would also add in two 3/32x 3/16 turbulator spars between the leading edge and the spar and one more about an inch behind the spar to support the covering a bit better and lock the ribs togeter. The fuselage will be fine with the wider spacing of the formers if you use something like 1/8 x 1/4 hard balsa for the stringers so they don't buckle in between the formers so easily. The dihedral of the double sized one would be 2 1/2 from the plan. To enhance the rudder response I would suggest 4 to 4 1/2 inches per side if this will be a rudder and elevator model. If you chose to use ailerons then the 2 1/2 will be fine. The airfoil is a bit "blunt" for model use. I'd suggest a change to a proper Clark Y for simplicity and proven good manners when used with basic open framed structure like this one.

Even with all this the model will be one that only works for light high starts and calmer weather. And done in the scale blue and yellow war time training colors with the proper markings it'll be an attention getter at the field.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:52 PM

thanks. i was thinking a foam fuse. use the former outline as a template to carve it. then sheet with 1/32 balsa, cut in half, hollow out, and add electronics. i was thinking the foam because i am not good at building wood fuses (there is allways a twist). i am good at building wings though. where can i get a clark y airfoil pic? i can resize it to fit into the wing outline with tile print.
thanks
Old 09-05-2005, 01:01 AM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Why not carve it out of EPP? Some incredibly scale EPP planes are being done these days, plus you get the benefits of EPP when it crash time. I had the DAW TG-3 72" span glider, and though it was heavy, it thermaled nicely. EPP carves nicely, and you can get wing cores cut in it at a number of places in various densities. Plus the TG-2 is seldom modeled. Go for it.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:44 PM
BMatthews

Download Profili2 from www.profili2.com . The "free" version will do the basics to plot out your ribs and it has the Clark Y airfoil as part of the library. And if you pay the paltry $15 to unlock the advanced features you can have it print all the tapered wingribs for you.

Don't say no to the built up idea. There's a simple way to built this model so that you can use the plan method. Cut out the top and bottom keels and formers. Use a notching sander to cut the notches for the stringers and keels. A stack of coarse cut hacksaw blades glued together with epoxy makes a great notcher. Use paper strips between the blades to trim the thickness and if it cuts a bit loose a sharpening stone to dress the set of the teeth will tighten up the slots.

To build up the shell former structure you can make a plan "comb" to build over. Glue a copy of the side view plan to a piece of flat 3/8 plywood, particle board or MDF so that the plan is more to one side than the other. Then cut slots into the board and across the plan where the formers are. A table saw would work great. Clamp this board to the bench so that the plan and fingers are sticking out over the edge. Slip the keels and formers together and slide the formers down into the comb slots and tape the keels down over the plan in the right spots. Now you can add on most of the stringers and glue it all with the fuselage in the comb. Flip it over and re-clamp and you can do most of the other side as well. Slip it off the comb and add in the two or three stringers you couldn't do because of the comb and you're done and have a nice "classic" looking fuselage to use.

Cover the whole model in transparent blue and yellow Litespan (or dare I suggest tissue and dope?) and add opaque markings and you'll have a lovely model that the sun shines through when overhead.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:06 PM

i am still trying to decide the final wing span on it. the problem with resizing in tile print is the pages dont line up some times. also the fact that i am resizing 4 seperate pages and not 1 plan is a little anoying. i will have to ask around in the scrach building forum about the best way to make the plans biger or to join all the pages together on the computer and print them as 1 document.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:22 AM
BMatthews

I believe that the new version of Tile Print can be set to use the same factor on more than one plan file now. Check with BipeFlyer to see if he got that programmed in yet.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:52 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Someone is selling plans for the TG-3 on eBay. Think 1/5th scale.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:30 AM
mmartin55

I have a set of the Earl Stahl plans all tiled back together as a single file and cleaned up that I offer via email for modelers to enlarge and print at any size. You can access the thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355380

If you'ld like, I'll enlarge to the size you finally decide on and draw the wing ribs with the Clark Y profile for you and do the rib spacing, spar and subspar slots and allow for your trailing and leading edges and draw in the joiner box, spar caps and tube structure. I'd sure like to see it built at the size you are contemplating!

By the way, I offer a laser cut kit of the 1:5 scale Moskal designed TG-2 which you can see in my ads here in the "Universe": http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=126167

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51897.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	320908  
Old 09-08-2005, 03:14 PM

thanks mmartin55. nice work on the plans.