Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Att. Skybench Viking guys

Old 10-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Att. Skybench Viking guys

Well, belive it or not I've completed painting my Viking (what a chore) and am completing all the little 'stuff' now in construction. My question to you is what kind of surface throws should I use? The Inst. say to use a 7/16 arm on the servos and a sm. Goldberg horn on the rudder (but not what hole). I have a Top flite throw gauge, which for the stabulator I'd attch. on the LE, for the rudder the TE. Anyone have any mes. in " for the throws?

Anyother setup stuff you want to share?

I chose paint for the fuse because of all of the shapeing/sanding I did to the fuse the thing has as many compound curves as my wife . . . that is to say alot (in a good, trim way ya know).

One major lesson I learned though, If your'e going to mix film and paint covering schemes . . . be sure a good paint match is avail. . . . at a reasonable price. The only close match to Monocote flo red I could find is Tamayia flo red (TS-36) R/C car body color . . . At $6.00 a 2oz can! For my very simple scheme it's taken five cans!

Rick K
LSF 6493
Old 10-06-2005, 03:05 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Att. Skybench Viking guys

Pictures?
Old 10-06-2005, 03:06 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Rudder should throw as far as possible and clear the stabilator. About 3/8" each side of neutral at the TE of the stabilator should be enough. If you have a transmitter that will do exponential then I would consider it on the stabilator. Where are you going to make the first flight????
Old 10-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Rick K

The first flight? Well soon after Hobby people gets in a new shipment of that dang flo red paint, a week or two they tell me. When I peeled back some of the Scotch blue masking tape . . . well you can guess what happend, it took some of the red paint off of my white monocote in sploches where there was a overlap on the vert fin @#%&!!!. Although It seemed to adhere to it fairly well. Things you don't know or consider . . . ya learn by doing twice!

My wife is just betting (goading) that after putting all this work into the fuse . . . to the point one wouldn't think it's wood but glass, I'm going to stick the thing into the trees or land into the largest hard object withen a mile of the field.

I'll cry! really. It reminds of a guy years ago over at El Dorado Pk an old time club member from waaay back who brought his pride and joy Saggita 900 out for it's first flight after a equaly long construction as mine . . . what a beauty it was too. Up it went and flew as well as it looked. (still think it's one of the best looking sailplanes ever made) Man the guy was proud. But after fifteen min or so all of a sudden the guy was yelling I don't have it and faster than it takes me to type it his beauty half rolled and dived straight into that 5' square and tall brick cube that sits at the N end of the field . . . destroyed the L wing and shattered the wing joiner, an multi ply affair that was epoxyed into the fuse. Unrepairable, total loss. With red in his eyes he saw a new guy flying way off to the side who'd just shown up, unnoticed till then with everyones eyes fixed on the Saggita, and starts storming towards him and upon getting closer sure enough he/we could see by the atn. numbers they had been on the same Freq. I thought there'd be blood spilled except one little detail . . . the new guy had the Freq pin! The 'Old timer' 'Expert' in his excitement had forgotten to get the pin. After we talked to the new guy and told him not to feel bad, it wasn't his fault I found out he really was a new one, it was his first flight ever. It's always the 'little', simple things that will get ya. . . measure twice, cut once!
Rick K
LSF 6493
Old 10-07-2005, 02:22 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

How do you think your first flight will progress?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Rick K

I hope to put it up as far as my eyesight will allow . . . and until my neck shall be sore for a week! . . . He has high hopes, has high hopes. I assume were' talking of first 'real' filght, not test glides.
Rick K

Be prepared for either alot of brag . . . or tales of woe
Old 10-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Chocks

Rick,
This is Loran. My new e-mail is [email protected]. I will tell you why there.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Rick K

Futher news . . . Well, whoops, double, and triple. Seems taking so many, sometimes mulit-week breaks in construction I overlooked a few things: Installing poly joint gussets (after sheeting the wing!) (cure, cut perfectly square holes in the sheeting, install and plug with pefectly sized plugs . . . real fun, but acomplished)

Next, atn. tube in the fuse? Whoops again! No way to put it in the fuse, well the tube glued to the outside of the fuse does'nt look tooooo bad on my perfectly shaped, sanded, painted fuse (&%#!*&%)

And a little carbon fiber and some cross drilling and dowel pegging of, again, the poly joints I hope will make up for me fogetting to install the 1/16" reforcement wires, or so I hope.

Geez, I guess there's a purpose for those little square 'check-off' boxes!!!!! Just go's to show 'Measure twice, cut once' I think from, now on I'm going to cross stuff off or something

Well I guess we'll see.

Rick K

Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
HelloScott

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I dont know if this thread has run out...did you get your Viking to fly? Here's a photo of my Craft Air Viking taken back in 1985 or so. I belonged to the East Tennessee Soaring Society in Oak Ridge, north of Knoxville. Great club. Learned a lot. My best thermal flight was 1 hour 45 minutes or so with the Viking...what a ship! One change that I made was to make the outboard tips as long as the balsa would allow in the kit. Seems like I ended up at 118" span. Its "unlimited" right? What great memories. I should get her down, clean her up and tighten the covering and go find some lift again!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90042.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	417471