Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

balanced rudder?

Old 10-09-2005, 07:17 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balanced rudder?

I am currently building a Sagittia ( the 2 meter one) as was typical of airtronics it has a balances rudder. Personally on a 2 meter plane I don't see the need especially with ailerons. So the question is if I make the balanced part of the rudder ( the part forward of the hinge line) solid do I need th increase the size of the movable rudder surface?
Old 10-09-2005, 08:11 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: balanced rudder?

There is no need for the balance rudder due mainly to improved servos. I tend to use metal gear servos in most all applications where the control surface can be jammed in handeling. Don't need to have one lock up when a plastic tooth gives way.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
kwmtrubrit

I did exactly what you're talking about on my Riser 100. I did not increase the rudder and it turns fine.

Keith
Old 10-11-2005, 01:25 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Back when the Sagitta was current many folks went to non balanced rudders and just built the balance portion as part of the fin. All accounts that I read it was not a problem and many said that the model actually flew better since more of the fin and rudder was able to act as a variable camber airfoil like it's supposed to do.

Especially if you're adding ailerons you won't need any balance portion.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:40 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

thanks for the info. It all falls in with what I remember reading, just needed to check my assumptions. I did wind up increasing the actual rudder by 15%. Can't see a problem with that out side on need less throw in a aileron coupled set up