Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

GENIE LINE OF R/C COMPETITION SAILPLANES

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

GENIE LINE OF R/C COMPETITION SAILPLANES

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 03:00 PM
harleym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GENIE LINE OF R/C COMPETITION SAILPLANES

For the benefit of those who do not subscribe to the Radio Control Soaring Exchange, I'd like to call your attention to the Genie line of scratch-buildable, highly competitive, vacuum bagged wing, thermal sailplanes.

I'm LSF 023 with 40 years into original design R/C sailplanes. I'm a long retired old buzzard in Walla Walla, WA and the oldest active member of the NWSS. Most of my thought and time are spent on R/C sailplanes.

I do not produce airframes other than for my personal use, but offer encouragement and e-mail support to those who consider themselves builders or who would like to learn to be builders of the Genie line of beautiful, fine performing R/C sailplanes for sport or competition.

There are 3 airframes in the Genie line. All require 6 servos. The micro-sizes, such as the JR, Hitec or Volz, are needed. The wings are 3 piece affairs with a flat center and detatchable tips. The Big GENIE has a span of 145". The GENIE PRO has a span of 130". The Genie LT/S (for light and smaller) has a 120" span.

Each has a wing that will stand the most spirited, full pedal launch, including the deep dip and zoom. Each wing is totally free of external hardware such as horns, clevises, pushrods and bumpy covers.

There is a website, http://genie.rchomepage.com/ that gives extensive information about the airframes. The Gallery file has pics of some and their owners. There is a Materials List with vendor sources. Files 1, 2 and 3 contain the building instructions

While I do not build airframes for resale, except occasionally having a surplus one I'll part with, I've arranged for sources for foam cores for wings and for composite fuselages. I offer plans, CD-R and a small parts package. See the "What's Available?" file. See the file "The Composite Fuselages" for information about them.

If you decide to build one of these airframes, look to me for e-mail answers ([email protected]) to your questions as I have more experience and facts about them than anyone.

It was my inspiration and effort that resulted in a practical version of the all-internal "Rotary Driver System" of moving flaps and ailerons as used on these ships. The RDS is detailed in File 6. File 6 refers to the File 3, the Wing file, for specific installation information for installing the system in the Genie line.

Your questions are welcome. If already covered in the website, I'll direct you to it. What I know is empirically learned. I'm all for experimentation and doing to learn things and prefer to try something out to get answers, rather than theorizing about it.

The Genie line offers an inexpensive alternative to RTF airframes and to kits that can't perform at the desired level to effectively compete.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:54 PM
mars

Default RE: GENIE LINE OF R/C COMPETITION SAILPLANES

Dead link.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:04 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Take the comma off of the link.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:39 PM
harleym

Thanks. . .I saw the error shortly after posting the message and then edited and corrected it to http://genie.rchomepage.com/.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:38 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

fixed the link in the original.

Harley, you won't remember me but I flew in a few contests with you back in the early to mid 90's. Flew an all white Bird of Time trimmed with two tones of metallic purple trim on the wings only.

Nice to see you here at RCU. You always made the hobby/sport more interesting with your designs and I see that hasn't changed.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:10 AM
harleym

Hi Bruce. . .good to hear from another modeler. It is a rare occasion, although the Genie website http://genie.rchomepage.com/ has received near 14,000 hits.

I've just finished building big Genie #28 for another party using the available composite fuselage. It's the best piece of work I've ever done, but it is not mine to play with. I've only given it a couple of easy hand tosses and was startled at how far, straight and true it went. I'm itching to see it fly in the expert hands of the buyer. He hopes to come my way soon to fly it and take it home. I'm already gathering things to make one just like it for me to have for the 2006 season.

The molds for the composite fuse for the Genie LT/S, the light and smaller 10' span version, have been finished and I'm to receive the first fuselage for it shortly. I'll then complete my 9th of those. The first one I built with the glassed-over wood fuselage came in under 62 oz., but with the composite fuse I'm expecting about 6 oz. less. The fuse is a bit lighter, but stuff can be moved further forward for easier balancing out. The LT/S wing is extremely strong, too, and the ship will do an extraordinary deep dip and zoom launch.

I still occasionally see a Bird of Time. It's a classic with a unique, timeless beauty all of it's own. Hope our paths can cross again. Thanks for being in touch.

Harley Michaelis, LSF 023 at Walla Walla, WA.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

Hello Harley, I'm interested in you planes . . . but for some reason my computer would'nt show any of the pics on your site, could you post one or two here?

Rick K
LSF 6493
Old 10-18-2005, 03:22 PM
harleym

Rick. . .I'm yet unfamiliar with how to post pics here. Please send me an e-mail at [email protected] so I can send you some pics. Maybe you can, in turn, post them here.