Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

whats a good wing loading for eppler 205?

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

whats a good wing loading for eppler 205?

Old 11-04-2005, 01:26 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats a good wing loading for eppler 205?

I am almost done with a Sagittia 600. I built the wings with ailerons and flaps. Right now the plane is coming in with a wing loading of 7.2 oz. But this is before balancing. What would be a wing loading range for this airfoil?
Old 11-04-2005, 03:32 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: whats a good wing loading for eppler 205?

8 works really sweet with the Eppler. I had an old Top Flite Metric and at 8 per it would slow decelty but had some nice speed for penetrating at a shallow glide angle.

If you didn't extend the sheeting back to about 50 to 60% chord then you'll likely find that turbulators at the 15% point help a lot. They really worked well with the Metric. Before the turbulators it would mush a lot at lower speeds and had a bad sink rate. With them the stall was much more defined and the slow speed sink rate was more like a Gentle Lady. My strips were made from two layers stacked of 3/32 wide car pinstripe tape. One thickness just didn't do anything but adding the second one did the trick nicely
Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

sheeting goes to the back of the spar. On the top of the wing there are 1/4" cap strips behind the spar. The covering looks nice with no dips between ribs. I'll give it a try as is but will keep the turbulators in mind. As I have been lead to believe this plane will require a good amount of nose weight so I'll be pretty close to that 8 oz. per mark
Old 11-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Prawnik

On a Metrick, where/how do you add turbulators? Diagrams (where possible) are always helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Hans Dahl Christensen

Hi !

The wingloading on an Eppler 205 could very easily li in the region of 25 grams pr sp. dm. as a starting point.
This section can easilæy fly with wingloadings up to and over 40 grams pr sp. dm.

Kind regards

hld - OY - 9901