Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

157" Discus Glider

Old 09-15-2006, 12:12 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 157" Discus Glider

I had heard that some were missing the rubber dampers (maybe this thread?) inside the fiberglass tube in the fuse. You may have to add some tape around the rod if its too loose. http://www.amdhobby.com/images/discus.jpeg See pic 12.
The glider takes some improvising. Its worth the effort IMO. Raising the elevator with a 1/4" piece of ply gives the elevator more range. CG is 80mm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42805.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	524417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41663.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	524418  
Old 09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have the plane so this is just an off the cuff remark.

If the wing rod is loose, you might be able to add a hollow brass tube over hte outside, if you can find one to fit. I make up wing rods for my scale plane using 10MM carbon rod and brass tube that I epoxy around the carbon rod. I think it is 3/8 tube, but not sure.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:26 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Could someone tell me the shape of the rubber dampener or give me a drawing (crude drawing would be fine)of the part that I am missing from the kit. or do you have suggestions of a substitute part. Also, is it the rubber part that locates the shaft in the fuse? The hole is the fuse is much larger than 10mm. Real close to 1/2 inch.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:43 AM

Well now that I am in the building process I have found another problem. I read on this forum where one of the guys had his wing fail at the joint where the main wing and the tip section are put together. When I received my kit I just did a visual inspection of all the parts to the parts list, and thought it was good to go. However, now that I am assembling looking closer as I progress I found that the left wing tip section is not fastened to the main section probably the only thing really holding it together is the covering and possibly some of the sheeting. So far I can't get the guy on ebay to do anything just a lot of excuses with no resolution. If I can't get the selller to help I'll have to fix the problem area and will pass on what I find as I progress. I'm' not sure if anyone is following this forum anymore but I'll the info anyway. Joe
Old 09-27-2006, 10:31 AM

Please post pictures of the problem.
And the name of the E-Bay seller.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ludfleet

So far I can't get the guy on ebay to do anything just a lot of excuses with no resolution. If I can't get the selller to help I'll have to fix the problem area and will pass on what I find as I progress. I'm' not sure if anyone is following this forum anymore but I'll the info anyway. Joe
Good luck, The guy is a real dirt-bag! Trust me, I know. He will give you all kinds of run around crap, ask you for your address, shipping info over and over, The you wont hear from him. Try this # and talk to Ellie, You might get it resolved but I dought it. 1-516-728-2883.

BTW he holds feedback as hostage, Unless you give him good feedback first he wont leave anything at all. If you were the model ebayer, and complain about his bad business practices, he will leave bad feedback even if you did nothing wrong. Like i said hes a Dirt-Bag!

Bill
Old 09-27-2006, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

Please post pictures of the problem.
And the name of the E-Bay seller.
Try this out for problems,

[link=http://www.designingmodels.com/glider.htm]problems[/link]

His name ebay seller name is, yuejin2002 and his first name is Jerry.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:46 PM

[img][/img][img][/img]Tom I tried to show you the problem with the wing, If you you look real close at the photo you can see the connection where the two sections come together underneath the covering. The tip section is not fastened very well to the main section, it appears that the assembler didn't put the two halves tightly together so there is a gap between the two. So the sheeting is only glued partially and it flexes pretty good at this point. Can't use it this way, If I can't Jerry (the ebay seller) to get me a new wing I'll have to fix myself. I'll do both while in the process. The other photo shows the hole isn the fuse for the grommet or dampeners that I am missing. Thanks Tom Hope these pictures are helpful. Joe

Name:	Vt57603.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	531993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94138.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	531994  
Old 09-29-2006, 11:36 AM

Hi Joe. Well the rubber insert is definitely missing. It looks like they were actually removed since the aluminum tube is shinny instead of painted over in white. My fuselage has the inserts factory installed and then they painted over the entire fuse.
The Zig Zag gap looks to be the same as on my wing. Not sure what to say. Without cutting the covering off and dissecting the wing I really don't know how well its done. I can tell you that I have about 2 dozen flights on mine without any problems.

I looked at all of Nano's pics. Looked like shipping damage. BUT this is just my opinion derived from some photos.

I have bought 5 ARF's from yuejin2002 on E-bay. All arrived within 5 working days and double boxed in good shape.
Quality of his ARF's as good or better than Nitro/ Raiden/ Giant Scale stuff. I have been fortunate in not having a problem.
As a matter of fact, I have yet to have a bad transaction on E-Bay (about 40 buys). My experience on RC Groups is not near as good.

YMMV
Tp
Old 09-29-2006, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

I looked at all of Nano's pics. Looked like shipping damage. BUT this is just my opinion derived from some photos.

YMMV
Tp
Hello Tom,

The shipping did not damage the items in the box. Well one wing was cracked due to the wet box being flimsy. The pictures showed all the bad quality work and defects in the materials used. I only paid $110.00 and $45.00 shipping so I knew that I would not be getting a Good glider. I was not even upset when I saw what I had, but how I was treated when I contacted him is when I got Pi$$ed Off. I would have been happy with a couple of bucks off or even a (SMALL) discount on something else. I even paid for insurance that he never got on the package. Oh well he will not get my cash again and I buy this stuff all over the place. Heck its my business to play with this stuff. Also I do not like the way he does his feedback, he holds you hostage. I buy and sell all the time and I post feedback as soon as the money arrives to me or the package., NOT in retaliation. Must be why I have 100%.

Anyhow I am still rebuilding mine Agrrrrr.

BTW - I didnt get the gramets either.

Bill
Old 09-30-2006, 10:03 AM

I looked in the box of a kit I bought as a spare just now and it's also missing the rubber wing rod inserts.
The previous kit looked like all they were made from was a 1/2 inch slice of a rubber water hose.
They were also really tight - I had to use lots of grease and a lot of force to work in the wing rod.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:01 AM

Thanks a lot guys now I understand why Jerry and Ellie (the sellers on ebay)didn't understand what part I was talking about. The way I take it from your comments is that these rubber dampeners are installed at the factory. That is also why they are not shown on the parts lists. Maybe now I can finally get him to do something. Lets hope, I hate to cob it up really want the Company to replace them real parts. Thanks again Joe
Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 PM
My Feedback: (3)

OK Everyone,
It's been 6 months of good flying weather, and 3 months of "I ain't flying out there! It's snowing!!!!!"

anybody else flown their's yet?

I have had issues other than with the plane itself so I haven't flown it yet.

The big Electric festival is this weekend in Mesa AZ at the AMA Field, and I am hoping to take her up before the festivities begin.

I built a carriage to take off from based on photos earlier in this thread, but changed to 4 wheels in lieu of three, and made the unit about 16" wide.

I will post pics just as soon as I take some. (of the carriage)

Dave
Old 01-28-2007, 04:17 PM

It appears this thread has slowed down considerably.

Anyone have any updates on this big glider?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:12 PM

No, we are still trying to get this low quality crap in flying condition. [:@]

Bill
Old 01-28-2007, 08:58 PM

we will be testing it on this saturday if the weather holds.
Carriage is ready, plane is ready.
Must reprogram ESC, but we can do that before then.

I noticed that my wings are a little askew (wing tube is about 3 degrees out of center with the fuze, so I will be using some tape to insure wings stay on and straight.

Am also going to change to a Dean's Mini Antenna. (cooler looks)
Old 01-28-2007, 09:54 PM

I have a couple dozen flights on mine. I installed an altimeter in it. I was very surprised I was taking it up as high as I was. About 1000 ft AGL. No wonder it seemed to glide forever. Flys great and I still believe it to be a very good value. Winter has set in here in Ohio. I won't be taking her out till at least March.
Good luck
Tom
Old 01-29-2007, 12:26 AM

I've got one coming and have read all the pages you guys have so graciously typed.

It appears to be iffy with some of the purchases. I hope my flip of the coin finds the one I bought on the plus side.

I am thinking that I'll try a high start without an electric motor setup. Anyone doing this with good results?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
My Feedback: (5)

On the subject of the missing rubber dampers for the wing rod I found some cone shaped washers in the plumbing isle in Home Depot that will work out fine the pack that I bought had assorted sizes. my plane still isn't flying yet but it's getting closer.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

On the subject of the missing rubber dampers for the wing rod I found some cone shaped washers in the plumbing isle in Home Depot that will work out fine the pack that I bought had assorted sizes. my plane still isn't flying yet but it's getting closer.

Thanks for the info!

Do you have a part number for those?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM

*UPDATE*

My 300 yard long glider showed up from Mr Brown & Company and I was thinking the box was nearly taller than me.

After opening it up and looking things over at first glance it appears to be a good purchase.

I'm not certain if it's my bi-foculs or what but I thought the tail section might be leaning to one side just a little?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:17 PM
My Feedback: (5)

the washers are made by DANCO part # 88539 Cone Washer and Ring Assortment. the company web address is www.DANCO.com

Name:	Nl28766.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	610285  
Old 01-31-2007, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

the washers are made by DANCO part # 88539 Cone Washer and Ring Assortment. the company web address is www.DANCO.com

Thank you very much for posting the pic/info!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:06 PM

dit dit dit beep beep beep......NEWS FLASH!!!!!!.......dit dit dit beep beep beep

...............The GLIDER has finally flown..........

And the outcome is:

Slightly overpowered, with the PJS 5000 with a 3700mah 4s/3s in series = 7s
Take off was about a 50 foot roll on the carriage. (will post pics tonight)
way out of adjustment (no 2 or 3 clicks on this baby) took about 10 clicks of UP just to keep from nosing over. and about 6 clicks of right rudder to fly straight.

when climbing, she climbed with authority, and in fact at 1/4 throttle wanted to stand on her tail, so I had to add down trim when flying into the wind when trying to gain altitude.

just a note: when you point the nose just slightly down. she gits it.[X(]

Adrenaline is still flowing and we flew her about 2 hours ago. With a total motor run time (at 1/4 or less) of approx 5 minutes, and a total flight time of 20 minutes. Only reason I landed was because I started shaking like a rookie with his first solo attempt.

My only mishap was that I didnt trim the extensions I used to attach the ailerons with (I didnt like the plastic ones so i used DuBro 6/32 control rods (black triangles either side and a white threader to adjust travel)
so when I landed (missing the nice 75' by 600' runway) when she touched down, one of the controls hit hard enough to strip the servo ($30.00 mistake).

The belly wheel held up just fine, other than trying to fill the fuze with dirt from where I landed her.

So now I will order another 85MG (I think) and rewire it into place, and go fly her again next weekend.

with about 5 minutes of motor run time, I only used about 1000mah (Its currently recharging and is at 970 with what looks like 4 minutes to go. Scratch that it just ended: 970mah with 5 mins of motor run.

when she pionted into the wind after her down wind run, she wanted to gain altitude rather quickly. And I am not unhappy with that, but may need to trim just a little more.

Oh Yes, all up weight is 10lbs 5.5 ounces. (fellow flyer has his nice new scale at the field)[8D]

At the end of the flight, the batteries were just slightly warm, the ESC (MGM 90 Expert) was air temp or slightly warmer, but not warm to the touch, and the PJS Motor was warm, say about 110 degrees, about normal for the first flight of a PJS motor.

ps, I WILL fly her again next weekend after swapping out the servos in the ailerons and adding tip protectors.

Overall feeling: GREAT.
would I buy another one: YES.
Will I get her some where where I can fly above 400 feet HECK YES !!!!!!!
(Sedona or Flagstaff) (Or even out with Central Az Soaring League)(Watch out Chico, I'm coming)

One last thing:
If you fly in arizona and the skies are "hazy" ADD COLOR to your plane. She darn near disappears when flying directly away from me, and when trurning and I cant see the top of the wing.(Just like any other glider(?))

well, we have to test 4 more planes tomorrow.

See everyone at the field.

Dave
Old 02-02-2007, 11:41 PM

OK,
raw video footage is at www.visionhobbies.com
goto showcase video page 3.

It will show the "cart" and my (all of 30 ft) take off run.

will add more video and pics after I reapir the servos.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.