Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

157" Discus Glider

Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 157" Discus Glider

Nice test flight! [8D] She looks good. Did you do anything to the wing such as add a spar to it? Can you tell me about the landing gear you put in it like the size and so on? Also can you take any pictures of the wheel setup?

Thanks
Bill
Old 02-03-2007, 08:49 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Bill,

If you go to my gallery, I show the wing configuration and the landing wheel set up.
It is between the two servos in the fuze.
How I did it.
First I mounted a tail wheel in the little bump at the tail.
Then I laid it on the kitchen table to find the low point of the fuze.
I marked it with a pen, and then used that as the center point of the landing gear.
I beleive I used a 1-1/2" wheel. I then made a plywood base/cabinet and epoxied the rails to the bottom of the fuze, and screwed everything else into place.

The wing spar: no I did not add anything. The only thing I added was in lieu of gluing two small tabs for the rear alignment pins, I put in a solid steel shaft (5/32" I think)
I will try and post a clearer picture of the cart later today.

I'm off to fly.

C Ya,

Good landings,

Dave
Old 02-03-2007, 11:51 AM

That take off was Scary. you'd do better to just chuck it at full throttle.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Up...Up...Up and away!!!

The big sailplane climbed out fast!

I'm still thinking of not adding a motor setup but instead fly it with wind/lift power. I suppose I better get a high start.

Thanks for the excellent impression/review of your flight and the video. It's always fun to see what you have fly sucessfully.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:25 PM

Goliathman,
Considering it took 10 clicks of UP after I got it airborne, I don't think I will have a problem again with the take off.

The way it flies now is if you add power she just goes up at a 20 degree angle and will climb out fast.

Am still a little afraid at punching her out at full throttle, as I am real familiar with P-Factor, and to be honest I don't like the feel of asphalt you know where when P-Factor kicks in close to the ground......and I'm not talking about the PROP either

Dave
Old 02-04-2007, 05:30 PM

CMO,

A couple of the guys who built them here in RCU stated that they added 2 to 2-1/2lbs lead to the nose...
Why have all that dead weight, when you can add a motor,prop, and battery pack???

There is nothing wrong with being able to go around because you are too high to make your runway. (even if it is 600 feet long)
Old 02-04-2007, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Big Oakden

CMO,

A couple of the guys who built them here in RCU stated that they added 2 to 2-1/2lbs lead to the nose...
Why have all that dead weight, when you can add a motor,prop, and battery pack???
Some of us are hard core slopers, I personally do not like the looks of a motor on a glider with prop (folding or not) sticking out. I think it totally kills the natural beauty of a sailplane. Just my opinion and nothing else!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 PM

No sweat Nano.

I just have no hills or slopes anywhere near my house where there is an AMA Field, or where I can safely fly.

Thus I need a power source to get airborne.

Plus our field members don't want an upstart laid across the runway, or even parallel to it.

I will eventually make it down to CASL's field for a day of unlimited vertical flight there....
Old 02-04-2007, 11:29 PM

CMO,

There is nothing wrong with being able to go around because you are too high to make your runway. (even if it is 600 feet long)

I understand the reasoning for using power. I really don't need it as I live where I can toss it or high start it and keep it up till the cows come home...weather permitting.

I think I'll start with no power and if it appears that adding power would be prudent then I might spend the $$$ and get it rigged up.

Thanks for the heads up on the needed weight in the nose!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 AM

Don't thank me,
Thank those who elected to go straight sail power.

They detailed all they did in the first 4-5 pages of this post.

If I am not mistaken, somone used shot to load the nose, and poured it in and glued it down AFTER Finding out how much was actually needed to weight it down. Rather than just putting in so much weight and hoping for the best.....

Well I confirmed that I did strip the Aileron Servo, so off to my LHS to get a new one (or two), they are Hitech HS-85MG's. I dont think there is any rebuilding of those gears...... Plus the servo just sings when plugged in.

Sooo, be sure and mount wing tip skids to protect your servos and control horns. [X(]
Old 02-08-2007, 02:09 AM

Don't thank me,
Thank those who elected to go straight sail power.

They detailed all they did in the first 4-5 pages of this post.

If I am not mistaken, somone used shot to load the nose, and poured it in and glued it down AFTER Finding out how much was actually needed to weight it down. Rather than just putting in so much weight and hoping for the best.....

Well I confirmed that I did strip the Aileron Servo, so off to my LHS to get a new one (or two), they are Hitech HS-85MG's. I dont think there is any rebuilding of those gears...... Plus the servo just sings when plugged in.

Sooo, be sure and mount wing tip skids to protect your servos and control horns. [X(]
I read that about the nose weight. I'm usually cautious about making something permanent...like adding weight...until I know it is balanced.

Thanks for the tip about the skids. I'd imagine without them parts my be gone in a good hit. Bummer about the servo. Hopefully that's the last time you'll experience that.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:52 AM

Well, at $65.00 for two servos, plus the hour or so to pull out wires, and re-heat shrink them into position. I sincerely hope to not have to do it again.

Just a note on the "outrunners":

I picked up some LARGE black control horns at my LHS, along with 2 each 1/2" tail wheels. Off to Ace Hardware for some 2/56 machine screws that I will cut down to make axles, and I will have wheels at the wing tips, so that the tips won't be sanded down quickly by the pavement of our runway. I will be building these tonight, so I should have pics to post by saturday.

If the weather holds, I should fly her again on Saturday, and I will let everyone know how the outrunners worked....Provided I actually land onthe 75' x 600' runway. It's pretty embarrasing to have a runway that large, and still miss it. Oh well, that was the first of many hundreds of landings (I hope)..
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Servo gears for HS-85's are only like $6.00. VERY easy to change once youve done one.

You should be checking in with the guys who fly at Mormon Lake overlook and Greens Peak up by Flagstaff. Theres a guy who goes by Dawson H up there who flies nearly every day at the lake.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:32 PM

Slope Meno,

When I got to the glider after landing, the servo was singing loudly, and the servo arm was frozen in place. (and still is) It is easier for me to pull the servo and replace it so I can fly saturday, than spend the time at night trying to put in a new set of gears. Besides, I burned up one of these last year (reversing wires trick to reverse the servo and let out all the magic smoke) so I have a set of gears, just not the time to play with the servo...

Also Mormon lake is about 2-1/2 hours from Phoenix, and if I go to Flagstaff without my wife, I think I would be sleeping on the patio on the cold concrete. If I ever get the opportunity to go up and fly up there, I will. One of the things I have always wanted to do was host a glider festival on the slopes of Snowbowl Ski Area in the summer time. Altitude about 8000' and a nice uphill breeze. Just have to get permission from the Ski Resort and the Indian tribe to do so.....

I took several pics of the outrunners as I assembled them and install them, and will try to get them posted tomorrow night.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:13 AM

OK, here's the pics of the outrunner design.
I used 2mm x 20 mm screws from Ace Hardware with 3 nuts and 3 washers per set up:
Screw, Washer,control horn,nut,washer,wheel,washer, double nut. And in lieu of using thread lock, a couple of small drops of medium CA. cut off the extra screw, and I'm done.

Finding the right control horns:30 minutes
Finding the wheel: 10 seconds
buying the screws (after deciding what size I wanted): 20 minutes
Assembly of the outrunner: 2 minutes
Installing the outrunners: 20 minutes.
Now that I have donoe it, and to do it again: 5-10 minutes total.

I will post more pics later today of the plane sitting on the runway with them, and hopefully a video of her flying again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11763.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	617636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22316.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	617637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58993.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	617638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16571.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	617639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92303.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	617640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne55244.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	617641  
Old 02-10-2007, 09:00 AM

That should keep those wing tips free of scuff marks!

Good luck on the flight today and I hope you take some pics. I never get tired of seeing big birds in their natural habitat.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 PM

How's the drag going to be with those on the tips? (whistle) [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Bill
Old 02-13-2007, 05:20 PM

Hi Ryan.

How did the retract from icarus rc worked on the Discus and what size did you use? I should be receiving mine next week and would like to install the retract wheel as I intend to aerotow it.
Your coments will be appreciated.
Calixto
Old 02-13-2007, 06:13 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Years ago John Derstine used to sell little self adhesive wingtip wheels for molded scale planes that were pretty slick.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 AM

I meant the main wheel, for the wing tips I will install nylon skids only. The instruction manual has no information on the throws of the elevator, ruder and ailerons, how much did you use in each surface?
Calixto
Old 02-15-2007, 05:32 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Just a quick question. Is this forum still yacking on about the 157" Discus that i bought on E-bay from Yulin something or another because if it is I'm glad to here that thing flies. Does any one have pic's of the wing servo mountings or how to mount the elevator servo the plans aren't much help.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Just a quick question. Is this forum still yacking on about the 157" Discus that i bought on E-bay from Yulin something
Nope, were whispering!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:13 AM

I got mine yesterday, and they must have done some improvements on it besides including very detailed instrutions drawings, because I have not seen any of the problems mentioned on this thread so far. I am about to go out on a one week vacation in a few minutes, but gladly I will scan the drawings and e-mail them to you when I get back.
Calixto
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 AM
My Feedback: (8)

I won one of these last week on ebay and was wondering if any of you got tracking numbers when you ordered from the yujien2002 guy?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:16 AM

ORIGINAL: ChixwithTrix

I won one of these last week on ebay and was wondering if any of you got tracking numbers when you ordered from the yujien2002 guy?
NOPE, Be careful, Mine was damaged BAD .. and I paid for insurance and UPS said he didn't pay it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.