Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

157" Discus Glider

Old 02-08-2006, 04:02 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 157" Discus Glider

Hi! New to gliders. Have plenty of powered aircraft very high time pilot!
Just purchased 4m Discus was wondering if this will be a stumble or a step?
Figured it wasnt much different than powered. Maybe someone set me straight on that!!!!

JR 9303
30% TOC1 YAK/ Funtana 90/Fourstar 120/Senior Telemaster/Ultimate Bipe/U-Can-Do/PT-40/Aerosport
Old 02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
My Feedback: (98)

If you're going to fly on slope, no problem.

If you're going to learn to thermal with this, it's the wrong airplane, (and I haven't flown mine yet), you want to learn on a poly. I fly power and sailplanes and my power friends say sailplanes are easy to fly and boring. They are half right, they're easy to fly, they're hard to fly well. Learning to fly sailplanes as power a flier you won't be worring about crashing, the thing you have to do is get in tune with nature:
Did the wind just shift?
Did the temp just change? Up or down?
Where'd the hawks go?, don't follow seagulls, they lie!
What's on the other side of the tree line? An asphalt parking lot or a lake?
Did you see the baby spiders flying by?

Short answer slope yes, thermal no, for learning with this plane.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:13 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: soarrich

I made a wheel cover using lost foam, the cover is in my autoclave now.
Hey Rich, is that the Home Depot autocave or the Sears autoclave?

see4jacks, welcome the 157" figure it out group. This is my first attempt at a 4m, what could go wrong? And as Rich pointed out as long as you don't follow the seagulls over the trees into the lake where all the hawks are you'll be fine. And as for the spiders, well I see them all the time so I don't even worry any more.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:15 AM

I got my wings on tonight, the two wings are within 1/2*, 1/2* is the best my meter reads, that's close enough for me. I put a rod 3/16 inch through the fuse, it sticks out of the fuse 1 inch on both sides. I decided to go with automatically plug in aileron leads, 9 pin jacks, I don't see the rubber mounted wing-rod as a problem, not a lot of flexing in the system.

I mounted the tow-hook, and made up a aerotow release mechanism, will mount that tomorrow.

I threw away the rudder drive push-rod, and replaced it with a Du-bro 1/4 scale push-rod system that uses a black outer tube, yellow inter tube that floats and a .055 steel push-rod.

The stab is set-up with 1 1/2* .

It's getting close, but this ain't no ARF.

Flim at 11.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:15 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I think the phrase youre looking for is "almost ready to build...."
Old 02-10-2006, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: slopemeno

I think the phrase youre looking for is !QUOT!almost ready to build....!QUOT!
I looked back at the ad, they never say ARF, they always call it a kit, which it is.

I've added some pictures.

The first two are my aerotow release. It's a block of wood with a hole drilled down it's length, which I've lined with a brass tube. The notch is where the tow line's loop comes up through the floor, then a titanium pin is moved forward through the loop into the block forward of the notch to capture the towline. The pin is driven by a push-rod from a dedicated servo that is by the wheel well across from the rudder servo.

The third is a look at the bottom. The small slit on the right is where the aerotow line loop goes in, I added a small notch to capture the line so it doesn't saw back and forth during towing. The for screws might have been over kill, but I didn't want the wheel/wheelwell assembly popping off on a hard landing. Last is the belly tow hook, it's mounted 45* down from the wing rod

The forth picture is just the wing alignment rod, I like it to be one piece, not two little rods in the fuse or wings. If you glue it in you get a free anti-compression strut.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98131.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	405633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34239.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	405634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31656.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	405635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53636.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	405636  
Old 02-10-2006, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the pics of the interior.

Where did you find the titanium rod?

Once I find my camera I'll post how my interior came out using the kit's tray. I hope to get one of the local 4m guys to look my install over before the first flight, but I can see how much easier it would be to rip out the existing plywood and start clean. Even with what I've done it wouldn't take more than a night to change things.

I do get why you put CF around the wheel opening. But why the extra glass in the rest of the fuse? Strength I would guess.

Also, thanks for the answer to how to finish off the wing alignment. I had pins set in place, but never glued them. Something seemed too weak.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: mludwin

Where did you find the titanium rod?
http://www.mcmaster.com/
I used it because I had it, and it won't rust from early morning dew.

I do get why you put CF around the wheel opening. But why the extra glass in the rest of the fuse? Strength I would guess.
Yea, it was .030 thick, but that was on the centerline where it is joined, and about half of the .030 is paint. It was easy to do and it looked like it needed it, plus it's weight in the nose. CF ~$100 a pound vs. lead $1.00 a pound. let's go hitech with CF.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:44 PM

I'm picking through the junk pile looking for rod to use for the wing alignment. After seeing your pics on the wheel and tow hook I'm glad I left space. I just may have to add them also.

I'm going to try and finish off the canopy tonight. I have a thing against them and in return they aways give a hard time.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:48 AM

Canopy is drying. Trim tape around the edges and it will look fine. I'll post pics later. Off to Radio Shack to pick up magnets, I'm going to give them a try.

Here's a pic of the kit put together in my basement, not much room to move around. And here's how the servo install turned out. The wires are placed out of the way for clarity. I'll be shortening the wing leads once I have final placement for the receiver. I am planning to put the receiver over top of the area were a wheel would be. Any comments about the install and receiver location?

After seeing Rich's servo install with the kit's wood removed I can see how things could have been alot simplier. I may go back and change things in the future. Right now I'm dying to start the ME109.

Name:	Yw66683.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	406115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38552.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	406116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40260.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	406117  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:23 AM

I kind of wish I had put the elevator servo up front. [:@]

I hate to use flex push-rods, but it would have been so much lighter. I just got back from buying 3 pounds of 1 oz sinkers, it looks like it may take two pounds of it, it was easy to say no problem when it's not your plane, mentally harder to stuff that much lead into a plane though. Nose heavy planes fly poorly, tail heavy planes fly once! When I decided on the servo in the back, it was instead of a fiber glass push-rod, bell-crank, bell-crank mounting system, and a short vertical push-rod, so I didn't see a great weight savings. I hope the bent flex rod is slop free and no double neutrals, which was my fear of them.

I think the RX back by the wing rod is where I'm going to put mine too. I was thinking of just winding up the extra leads into kind-of RF chokes.

One of the reasons for taking the wood out of the fuse was to get rid of hard points where the wood formers are attached to the glass fuse, that's where the fuse will start to crack first.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:40 PM
My Feedback: (2)

On my DG-800 I started out with a bent flexible pushrod to drive the elevator, but it double centered. I finally got fed up and put a JR-351 in the vert. stab to drive the elevator, and it works awesome. I wish I had done it from the start.

Keep in mind that once you fly it, you can move the CG back some, and light weight isnt everything with a 4 meter sailplane. I test flew my DG with what turned out to be a waaaay too far foreward CG, and that was no fun either. I used up all the up trim, sub trim, and half the up in the stick to get it back. Start with the CG on the joiner, and work backwards in small incriments from there. Maybe Slopeflyer33 can give us his balance point, since his flew great.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:47 PM

Back from the Shack. All they had was 1/8' rare earth magnets, but they are strong compared to standard. I'll be playing with them later, first a pot of chilli has to be made. I'm looking forward to being snowed in, toys and chilli, I'll be set.

Understand your concern with flex-rods. I had to reach far into the fuse and glue them down at many places to keep them stiff. The curve up to the elevator has four glue locations before I felt safe. There seems to be no slop, but only the first flight will tell.

The canopy is dry. I used Pacer 560 for the first time. It doesn't seem to dry as clear RC56.

Once the chilli is cooking I get back to it. Wish me luck, I may have finished pics before the night is over.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:51 PM

Maybe Slopeflyer33 can give us his balance point, since his flew great.
That would be great!

I just glued in 2 pounds of lead into the nose. I put in on 16 oz and 16 1 oz, that way if it is nose heavy I'll just pop an oz out at a time.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:55 PM

I'm looking forward to being snowed in, toys and chilli, I'll be set.

I just spent $600 on a snowblower, I thought that would mean no snow for five years.[:@]
Old 02-11-2006, 08:51 PM

Well I'm amost there. Finished up the canopy. Right now I have 2 pairs of the 1/8" Radio Shack magnets in place, I'm not sure I will trust them in flight. Either make them bigger or add more, which ever comes first. I going to see what dead drives I have laying around at work that I can pull bigger pieces from.

I put in a 1/4' aluminum tube in for the alignment. Much better.

I still need to pick up a bigger receiver battery for those 2hr lounge chair flights and some extra lead. I'll wait to see if Slopeflyer33 gives us some idea of where he set his.

Looks like the next big project for this kit is a jig to transport it in my wagon

Name:	Jh16906.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	406462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65450.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	406463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12425.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	406464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82211.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	406465  
Old 02-11-2006, 08:53 PM

Almost done. I put the 9 pin jacks into the fuse, what a pain, they go behind the wing-rod tube, my fat hands just didn't fit. I releaved the right side of the fuse so the screwheads holding the jacks in the wing have some clearance, other wise the wing is held out, you can see it in the picture.

The idea of rolling the servo leads up to make RF chokes didn't work out, they have all been spliced, and the splice messes up rolling the leads up so I just wire tied them, they're behind the wheel well.

My volt meter sits on the wheel well, held there with some Goop.

I have the RX velcroed to the towhook mounting block, it gives it a nice safe place with a soft mounting.

I made up a battery pack using 3000 mah Nimh batteries.

I haven't decided where the on/off switch is going.

My canopy will be taped on, and stay on all the time , I don't see a need for opening it after I get the balance right.

Name:	Qo39865.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	406466  
Old 02-11-2006, 09:03 PM

What kind of voltmeter are you using? I've been moving other planes to li-po and looking for a quick visual meter.

I looked at an on/off sw and charging jack. Right behind the canopy, below the wing line looked like a good spot.

I've got to start making my own battery packs, just been too lazy up to now. Where are you getting your cells from?

Right now I have the RX wrapped in foam. I didin't want to stick it yet. I know I'll be back to put in wheel and tow hook.

Wish I knew of hill in CT to test fly off of. That's the problem of being a noob to the state.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:10 PM

Wish I knew of hill in CT to test fly off of.

Mt. Washington isn't far.

Be back with answers later, break time now.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: soarrich

Maybe Slopeflyer33 can give us his balance point, since his flew great.
That would be great!

I just glued in 2 pounds of lead into the nose. I put in on 16 oz and 16 1 oz, that way if it is nose heavy I'll just pop an oz out at a time.
I just checked - I have the CG 75mm back from the leading edge.

Bruce
Old 02-11-2006, 10:20 PM

What kind of voltmeter are you using?
It's a Hobbico.

I looked at an on/off switch and charging jack. Right behind the canopy, below the wing line looked like a good spot.
I may do that, but on sailplanes I like to put the switch inside, across the fuse with a whisker on each side, pull on, pull off, it's hard to accidentally knock it off.

I've got to start making my own battery packs, just been too lazy up to now. Where are you getting your cells from?

I just cut up a power pack I wasn't using, It was a cheap pack I got on eBay, I think they sold it as power for a paint-ball gun. Cheap batteries are good enough I think, because the current draw is so small.

Right now I have the RX wrapped in foam. I didin't want to stick it yet. I know I'll be back to put in wheel and tow hook.
I'd be nervous about landing a 10 pound plane on that light glass fuse. BTW mine weighs 10.0 right now, it's slightly nose heavy. I used a soft foam tire to get a little cushing.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:23 PM

I just checked - I have the CG 75mm back from the leading edge.

Bruce
Bruce

Thanks, that saves alot of time and worrying.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:28 PM

mludwin

You plane's looking good! I just noticed that you have some glue over the top of the canopy magnets, that's a no no. If there's a gap between the magnets the holding power is way down. You want metal to metal for the best holding.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:07 PM

This is first time I've built a kit online with other guys. It's really been a great help. Thanks to everyone for support and information.

I can see that as I get more experiance in the 4m world there's alot to learn.

But in the meantime I switched to other side. I'm going to try to put snow skis on the ECO8 I have [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Name:	Yw67532.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	406542  
Old 02-12-2006, 12:29 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: soarrich

I just spent $600 on a snowblower, I thought that would mean no snow for five years.[:@]

How many servo's will it take to run the snow blower from the house[sm=lol.gif]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.