Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

NSP DG 600

Old 01-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Merlin-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NSP DG 600

Would like to contact anyone who has assembled/flown the 2.7-3.3M DG 600 from NSP. Specifically the sheeted wing version. Thanks
Old 01-24-2002, 01:23 AM
SoarNeck

Default NSP DG 600

I have one: www.geocities.com/sunbirdz/Active_Hangar.html

It's a bit possesed, but it looks good. I ended up 'glassing on the 18m tips permanantly, installing a retract, cutting out flaps, and extending the ailerons into the molded tip.

Anything in particular?
Old 01-24-2002, 03:39 AM
Merlin-RCU

Default NSP DG 600

Thanks for the reply, basically I was concerned about the the effectiveness of the ailerons. Also, was questioning the mounting of the elevator servo in the fin. Was thinking that there must be a better way. I basically want to do some flat field flying with it off of a histart or winch. How possessed is yours? What are it's bad habits, if any? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:45 AM
SoarNeck

Default NSP DG 600

Don't bother with flatland unless you have access to a tug. Like most scale sailplanes in this size range (2-4m), it will tipstall if you don't keep it flying fairly fast. That said, it usually takes a turn or two to recover, and will snap the other direction if rudder isn't applied to come out of the stall. It also has an inappropriate airfoil, as far as I'm concerned (should be an HQ at this wing loading). It doesn't winch launch all that well (mega wing bend), and needs a bridle to track properly. I've seen two MPX ASW27Bs and a fellow 3.2m DG-600 crack up on launch due to snaps on launch. It needs to ROG (rotate off ground), and I've had a couple of good days at the thermal field launching that way. Flights were never much more than 1-2 mins however. A high-start would be suicide, since you can't "get off the pedal" if things go wrong. I've pretty much decided that it'll be a sloper (a role at which it excels), since there's nothing sexier in the sailplane world than a scale bird screaming by on a speed run in 30 mph winds. I might try towing the DG when the field isn't buried under two feet of snow (sigh)
Old 01-26-2002, 03:14 PM
Merlin-RCU

Default NSP DG 600

Thanks for the info. That pretty much sums up my concerns.