Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Kestrel 100 - good plane?

Old 01-22-2002, 03:55 AM
AirHead256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kestrel 100 - good plane?

Anyone had any experiences w/ the NSP Kestrel 100?
I'm considering polyhedral kits that are > 2M and still fly nice and slow and are kind of easy to build. I'm still in the rudder & elevator only stage so would build in ailerons but not hook them up yet.
Thanks.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:19 AM
Robert Bauer
My Feedback: (1)

Default Kestrel

I built the Kestrel 2M. It builds fine and flys better than I can. It has a good strong wing that will take the launch stresses. I think the 100 would be a better thermal ship. I would go for it. Bob
Old 01-25-2002, 11:06 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

I built a Kestral 2m as my first sailplane and learned to fly with it . The Kestral 100 is a good plane , thermals well and is well designed , however if you build it with ailerons you should use them. When you build an aileron ship you don't put in as much polyhedral as you would a rudder elivator ship. A flatter wing is harder to control with rudder only , it may not even turn.
Good Luck !
jef
Old 01-31-2002, 08:13 PM
jelaird
My Feedback: (1)

I have 2 buds that have built and flown the Kestral 100. Very nice thermal finder. I got 80% done with building one myself but had a CA spill, ruining the entire underside of one wing panel so I gave it away to one of them for spare parts. One thing I can say is the laser cutting from NSP is nice, the aircraft ply on the fuse is immaculate, but if you haven't built a complete airplane before, look out. I caught several serious mistakes in the instructions that would have caused massive pain to correct. Only experience and reading ahead would have caught them.
Jack
Old 01-31-2002, 10:18 PM
AirHead256

Thanks all for the info. I laid down the hard-earned so appreciate the confirms.
Control stick, swizzle stick, it's all the same.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:42 AM
oracle_9

Default RE: Kestrel 100 - good plane?

Have you have any pictures of the kestrel 100? or your friends?

I am really curious of how it looks like at a side view, since the only photo available is and an angle overhead view from NSP website.