Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Art Hobby planes

Old 06-06-2006, 12:58 PM
n0irw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Art Hobby planes

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Art Hobby ships, especially the Velvia-V and the High Aspect 3.1. I have been out of the glider biz for about 4 or 5 years and all I currently have in the hanger is a VERY old OLY II (which I love). I like the look and price of these planes and was wondering about their quality and how well they perform. I have built and flown 2 or 3 Oly's, an old lead sled Midwest E-Z Juan (I'm dating myself), 2 Airtronics Legends, Troy Lawicki's Duck, and a Victory SE....so, i'm not really worried about being able to finish it....just what everyones opinion is.......thanks in advance.

Kevin O'Dell
Ardmore, OK
Old 06-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Liberator

Default RE: Art Hobby planes

I have the Arthobby Thermic 2.5 RES. The quality of these planes is wonderful. To be honest, I never really have given mine a fair shake.

I am in the process of adding the new tail group and getting it ready to fly again. These planes have a very flat airfoil and fly very quickly. It takes some getting used to versus what you have been flying. Andre is a top notch guy to work with and is very responsive.

Just be prepared for them to fly quickly and if you are, you will be happy with these planes.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Bytor

I picked up a Hyper-DL a while back and love the quality and great flying. Stuffed it in the ground a year or so ago (pilot error) and broke the carbon tail boom. I have just now got around to replacing the boom, they are great to deal with and fast shipping.

I plan on making another Art Hobby purchase in the near future, just not sure which to get.

Liberator is right Andre is great to do business with and fast email response.

Thermals

Old 06-10-2006, 02:49 PM
fudi50
My Feedback: (3)

I have a High Aspect 3.1 I fly competions with an Ava depending on prevailing conditions the HA will fly well. I was concerned when I first got mine as to strength for zoom launch I did not think it strong enough so I cut a chanel in the center section and installed an old carbon box spar apart from tip flexing [which bothers me] I can launch pretty hard now. It will thermal well however it does need spoilers for a cotrolled landing mine are from old carbon kevlar wing leading edge they lay flat on top of wing mine measure 1"1/4" x 9" each side outboard from tailplane. I use compensation on elevator.
Good flying
The Brit
Old 06-10-2006, 03:35 PM
SkipinHouston

Guys, I've tried to access their website and all I get is a blue screen. Somehow I'm blocked on my browser. Anybody got any ideas? Do they have a lot of pop ups or something?
Thanks,
SkipinHouston
Old 06-10-2006, 07:58 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

I enjoyed my "Whip It" for years. Its about the same thing as a Falco, but at out hill there have been Sierras, Thermics, Falcos, Ghosts, among others. Good value, fairly easy to repair if you break them. The only down side i see it the tail groups seem to be under designed. I would make sure to glass any v-tails, and make sturdier horns and linkages for any v-tails.Ive seen two Sierras go in from flutter in the v-tail. I was at the controls of one of them and it *winces* wasnt even my plane...
Old 06-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Bytor

Skip,

Try the link below. Its the page past the intro.

http://www.arthobby.com/shop.html