Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Bird Of Time ARF

Old 09-05-2006, 08:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bird Of Time ARF

Probably lost my BOD this evening..[]........last I saw of it it was a thousand feet up and headed down wind from me when I lost orientation and then all sight of it.
I notice the ARF version is listed by Dynaflite as more than a pound heavier than the kit model and Im looking for opinions as to what affect this will have on the models performance and duration as this was my first glider and I dont have a lot of experience to fall back on.
If the kit model is clearly a better performer then I will build one over the winter but if the ARF is worthy I will buy one and get some more time in before the snow flies.
My current one was powered with a .15 in the nose and I will probably go this route again.
Thanks for any help anyone can give...............
Old 09-05-2006, 09:49 PM
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bird Of Time ARF

The kit is probably a better plane. That said if you keep the speed up the extra weight doesn't hurt as much as most think. The ARF has a three piece wing, with a reported weak center section, I have one, doesn't seem terrible to me. The kit has a two piece wing, will build lighter, adding carbon you can make it very strong, but if you motorize a sailplane the wings are usually strong enough, the wings of a sailplane a stressed mainly on launch.

FWIW my advice would be go with the ARF. You might also want to look into electrifying it. Electric sailplanes IMHO are the way to go if you not flying contest. SkyBench.com also has a bird series you might want to look at, they're great fliers.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bird is large enough that extra weight won't hurt depending on how weak the wind is the day you're flying. And with big birds, the winds gotta be pretty weak for that to matter.

With most sailplanes, ballast only changes the speed you need to run the airplane. Most of us get locked into one speed for an airplane and have trouble flying it faster. Learn to pick up the speed and they actually can fly even better than our usual speed if it was too slow to begin with.

I've found that it's a head thing. The airplane doesn't care. All of my "slow" fliers do just as good flying fast with ballast. But it takes a bit more attention on my part, and when I pay that attention, the weight helps.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 AM

I'd suggest going electric also. The folding prop is worth it all by itself. Also, it's lots more fun to shut down and glide and still be able to hit the switch to "launch" again and again when needed, than to power around until you're out of fuel.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:04 PM

I had a BOT arf and flew it for about 6 months before selling it. Dumbest thing I ever did.
I had pulled all the covering off the wings and cut in spoiler bays in each wing. They were 4 bay spoilers which was plenty for this plane.

I put it together exactly as the plans stated and didn't have to add any nose weight. I had multiple 1 hour flights with it and a ton of 40 min and 30 min flights. It was not motorized in anyway, we just use a high start.

While I had the covering off I put 2 layers of fiberglass in the center section. The first layer was 3 inches wide the second layer was 6 inches wide. Top and bottom. This bird could handle a pretty stiff winch launch and the added weight had no effect.

I think this is an excellent plane for the money and you can have it ready to fly in about 3 hours. Thats not including putting a motor in or anything like that, just keeping it stock.

Tom
Old 09-06-2006, 03:23 PM

Thanks to all for your answers.
Anyone care to make a specific reccomendation for an electric power unit with a folding prop?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:38 PM

I electrified a BOT a couple of years ago and used an Aveox 27/26/1.5 with a Kontronic 5.2:1 gearbox turning a 16x10 prop. I am using a Kokam 3s 2100mAh 20C battery. I pull 40A and get a measured climb rate around 2500 ft/min with 3 or 4 relights. The motor can handle a lot more amperage and put out a lot more thrust, but I propped it down to use the LiPo battery. ( To save weight - It still weighs about 80 oz RTF I think)

I also reinforced the spar, added spoilers, moved the elevator servo to under the wing, added cooling vents and put a spring loaded hatch latch on. My only repair was to the tailboom right behind the wing. Any little tail loop will crack the ARF fuselage there. Built it up with a layer of glass. It sounds worse than it really was. It's a great plane to spend a relaxing afternoon flying.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:13 AM

Well I took the plunge and have a bird 3000 ARF on the way.
I liked the idea of the ailerons and will use them as flaperons
Probably will go electric but man there is a lot if info available out there to absorb and a lot of differing firm opinions too on what is best.
Im a complete nincompoop in the area of electric which doesnt help
Old 09-20-2006, 06:42 PM

My Bird came back!
My kit built Dynaflite BOD was found due to a bizarre set of coincidences,about three miles from where I launched it high up in a treein a school yard,.
The wings are trashed and the stab is gone,but the fuse hasnt got a mark on it and all the equipment is unharmed.I already have an order in for a new kit which will be used to build a new wing with spoilers and a stab.
So next season I will have an electro Bird 3000 and my original Max .15 Bird to play with!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:55 PM

After many years away from sailplanes I'm back I just purchased a Dynaflite BOT. Looks like a really great kit and who can resist that beautiful wing. Are there any recommendations regarding which servo for the elevator (rear mounted)? I'm planning on using my old heavy duty high start, providing it's still good. I like the idea of pull-pull on the rudder but the fuselage seems pretty cramped towards the rear, any suggeastions on how to do it? Seems like a great price for such a large and nice kit.
Peter
Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: PeterC

Dynaflite BOT. Looks like a really great kit and who can resist that beautiful wing..... Seems like a great price for such a large and nice kit.
Peter
Is it a KIt or a ARF that you have?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:32 AM

Sorry if it wasn't clear; it's the ARF.
Peter
Old 07-21-2009, 08:43 AM

I stretched a BOT to 157 inch and one day lost it in the lake and then a ski boot claimed it( full speed over it), now at bottom and resting in peace.
Went inverted in gusty wind and the velco did not hold the battery pack in, so it was a slow decent inverted into the lake.
I found the batteries so I know what happened.
SO I now have a 207inch (17ft 3in) stretched BOT almost ready to go.
The 157in was a nice flyer, hope this one is just as nice.

I went electric with ~300watts up front on the 157inch, nice climb but not vertical, with 2100watts it was pure vertical and moving.
My 207inch will have ~480watts up front for starting.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 AM

207" !!! This I will have to see!! Let me know when Ya go to fly it...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Yes, pictures PLEASE!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM

Would love to see pics as well! My brother lost his radian 2 days ago, hit a brick lifter and it dissappeared into the clouds, didn't reappear where expected and he's written it off along with his altimeter and brand new berg micro rx. Sucks losing a ship to a thermal I guess. Hasn't happened to me yet, but one day I'm sure...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM

Hi Kevin,

Did not mean to hi-jack your thread.

Attached a few pictures from last week for those wanting, more progress made since then.
The center section is 9ft 5inchs or 113inchs, the outboard sections are each 3ft 11inchs or 47 inchs each for a total of 207.
Fuse is over 6ft long, AUW is still TBD. wing flap-aileron surfaces are 1.5 long by 4ft 5in on each side.

I went with the kit both times so I could modify and strengthen along with changing wood density.
This second kit I used the wood in the kit as the first one did not notice extra battery weight.
It actually liked more weight, so I put in two batteries for extra weight.
I used Dave Brown carbon fibre strip CFSP-5230 on both top and bottom spars in the center wing section.
Also changed the spars from 1/8x3/8 to 1/8x1/2 spruce. Fuse is stretched so the balance is good.
18v 5cell 2500mah lipo pack and motor up front to balance out.
I put flap and flap-ailerons for crow on this one. See how that works.
I also had the eagle tree seagull system in mine went it commited suicide in the lake.
I hit over 2700+ft up and could still see it with the 157inch version.
My best climb rate was over 700+ft/minute with it.
I have a Paragon that has been in the rafters since early 90's that I am going to have to dust off also.

When I had the 300watt setup I was using a master airscrew 12x7 folder.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63812.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1241448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36508.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1241449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42205.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1241450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66859.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1241451  
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 AM
My Feedback: (6)

The "super" BOT!!

Marc 540[8D]
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 AM

OMG, cool! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My BoT Thread:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46714

SunDevilPilot
Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 PM

PeterC,

Let me know if you would like some input on your BOT. I built(ARF) last year and have a few tricks that might help.

Tracy
Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 PM

I am also waiting on my new BOT ARF to arrive. Please do share those tricks.

Thanks!

SD</p>
Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 AM

Yeah, share them with everyone. It's what forums like this are for.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Well mine is done and solo'ed today with no problems. God this thing hangs up there for ever. I was out late this evening, no lift at all, sun was low. Using a Heavy Duty High Start, I was getting 6+ min flights. I must say, I am very impressed. Idid notice a lot of wing flex on launch, and a few times the plane tip stalled off to the left. I will try re-heating the monokote and twisting the tip for more washout on both wings. I didn't even check that the washout was the same before flying.

Hand tossed the plane first. Went about 75 yards before landing. This think really floats!

SD
Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: sdavis9990

Well mine is done and solo'ed today with no problems. God this thing hangs up there for ever. I was out late this evening, no lift at all, sun was low. Using a Heavy Duty High Start, I was getting 6+ min flights. I must say, I am very impressed. I did notice a lot of wing flex on launch, and a few times the plane tip stalled off to the left. I will try re-heating the monokote and twisting the tip for more washout on both wings. I didn't even check that the washout was the same before flying.

Hand tossed the plane first. Went about 75 yards before landing. This think really floats!

SD

It is a floater, but can cruise with some speed.

Where in the world are you thermalling? Jeez, it'd be good to find an area large enough for a Heavy Duty. And where power planes aren't landing and taking off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.