Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

3M dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Wazmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M dilemma

I recently participated in a TD contest with a Gentle Lady. I did well enough, but received several comments that a bigger sailplane would make a huge improvement. I'd like to get something in the 3 meter class, but my budget doesn't permit much extravagance, particularly because I probably won't have the opportunity to fly a larger sailplane more than a couple times a year. I received suggestions for SkyBench's [link=http://www.skybench.com/slbird.html#skybird]Sky Bird[/link] and the [link=http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=84]Scooter 3M[/link]. I'm also partial to SkyBench's new [link=http://www.skybench.com/slnost.html#olyii]Oly III[/link] (scroll down), and PoleCat's [link=http://www.polecataero.com/products/ezbd/]EZ Bubble Dancer[/link]. The Sky Bird (particularly with the glass fuse) and the EZ Bubble Dancer are really the upper limit of my budget. I'd like something that will take an open class winch launch well and will thermal in light lift to make the best of my limited skills at reading the air. I'm also leaning towards RES to reduce complexity and servo cost.

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations, or testimonials to contribute?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Brotherbean

Default RE: 3M dilemma

I just finished a ez bubble dancer from Denny and as far as Im concerned its the only way to go, I will build rays oly someday but for now Im very happy.

Dick Bean
Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oly's are excellent.

Looks like the BIY kit for the OlyII is just over $100. How much would the OlyIII be? They didn't show it in their ad.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Wazmo

Details of the Oly II S and Oly III haven't been released yet, but are expected soon.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:41 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info...........

BTW, the D-tube wing as advertised for the OlyIIS should make a great airplane better.

It's puzzling that it isn't advertised for the OlyIII. That suggests that the III won't have it. And that'd be a shame.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:12 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have heard good things about the EZ BD from PolecatAero. Strong wing and a great flyer.

I just finished Polecat's Thermal Dancer and I am in LOVE with the plane. More expensive then what you are looking for and a full house design but one sweet ship.

The discus launched guys speak of the Polecat XP4 with great respect. Notice a trend here? Polecat has great planes.

I will say I have heard good things about the BIRD series as well, and I believe they qualify for the woodcrafters type events. I don't think the EZBD would qualify.

If you decide to go for a larger budget and a full house plane, the Thermal Dancer is a great choice. 3.1 M, Phil Barnes bagged wings, all up 58 ounces. Launches great, flies great and comes to a crawl for landings.

If you want RES, especially if you have a limited radio, then I don't see how you could go wrong with the EZBD.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Liberator

Hi guys, let me chime in to the degree I can. I have a Ray Hayes Skybird with the glass fuse currently and it's my all the time flyer at present. I also have flown the EZ BD (my Brothers who posted above). Another plane I have is the Thermic 2.5 M from Art Hobbys and lastly and most inexpensively was the BOT ARF, which at 139.00 or arounb there is quite a value WITH A FEW PRECAUTIONS!!!(more on that later.)

The Sky Bird is a very strong design that will winch very well for you. If you blow that wing up you either A. built it wrong or B. were using it as a scaffold while painting your house.
The plane does pretty well in light lift and can make the transistion to heavier wind conditions easier than the other planes listed in my opinion. It is much heavier than the other planes. Not always a bad thing. I built mine with flaps and I think that makes the whole plane better.

The EZ BD flies great and is well designed. It also builds pretty quick, but it's a good idea to have a few projects under your belt as it will help during your build phase. If the wind picks up though, just like any light wing loaded plane, you will have more of a struggle with it. If my next plane was not going to be the Super Ava, I would be picking this one up, great plane. I don't even have to sneak it from my Brother to get a flight in with it, he is gracious enough to let me take the reigns now and then.

The Thermic 2.5 M with the C tail weighs in at a scant 32 ounces and is a lot of fun to fly. It is well finished by the folks at Art Hobby and builds very quickly. Andre Czeczel is a super guy to work with and a real class act. He is worth the cost of the plane himself, very attentive to his folks and detail oriented.
This plane has a lot flatter airfoil and hauls arse. It works well because it will slow down to turn flat when in a thermal, but lets you race around when searching to find another. They also have planes in the 3 meter range is why I bring them up, Good quality stuff and for a great price as well. http://www.arthobby.com/

Ok now for the last one that I know I will catch flack on.
BOT ARF

IF and I stress IF you buy one of these and strip the covering off the wings then proceed to fiberglass the center wing panel, you can get a very inexpensive plane that will allow you to do some of these contests. Its not the best bet by far and its not the most sturdy, but It is a great plane to start teaching yourself to hunt thermals with and will allow you to get into contests and be better off than the 2 meter but not drop as much cash as you would for one of the other designs talked about. While you have the covering off its easy to drop in some spoilers and be off to the races. Cheaply....depends on what your up to.

After having typed all that, my plane of choice would probably be the EZ BD. Its about the same wingspan as the BOT, but it's a more effective airfoil and I think does better in staying in light lift. Just keep in mind the wind thing.
If I go to compete I take two planes. My Thermic and my Skybird. There are other planes that will take both planes places, but now your dropping serious cash on composite stuff you said thats not in the cards for now.

Confused? Welcome to the club.

Tom Bean
Old 09-20-2006, 08:45 PM
AcintSpec

My $0.02, Ray's planes are pretty good, the Sky series and Oly's have improved airfoils over the stock for better penetration, and a couple of other improvements that Ray has thrown in the box too. Denny's planes are always top notch, so as Liberator said, welcome to the club. Seen the Sky Bird, flies great in VA or PA for sure and can handle more wind that the original. Once again improved airfoil and some construction changes from the original Bird of Time. The Oly's have always been another great bird to fly. The longer wingspan of the Oly III looks pretty good too. Best bet is to get what you can best afford and learn how to fly it inside out in all kinds of conditions including ballasting when necessary and how much ballast is needed. A small notebook with the 'race setup' for the day can spark a lot of different quick field mods to improve your standing for the day.

Good luck with whatever you get and let us know how things work out for you.

R/Gene
Old 10-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Wazmo

I decided on the [link=http://www.isthmusmodels.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=192]Scooter 3M[/link] for now, though it's back-ordered from Isthmus. Hopefully that'll carry me for a while, until I decide I need something more expensive. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:03 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am sure the scooter will be a great plane for you. Enjoy it and PLEASE let us know how it works out. I love to hear the end result of these discussions.

Clear skies and safe flying!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Gibsonia

I've got to agree with the Thermic opinions above. ArtHobby / Andre is a great person to deal with; I had a fuse problem with my Thermic (it warped, and Andre and I both believe its because I cut too much out of the wing saddle area when opening up the fuse to access the interior). He called ME, believe it or not, when I emailed him to order a replacement fuse. He was concerned about learning why the fuse did what it did. He convinced me to buy the fuse for the Thermic RES, which has fully glassed tail feathers and a removable horizontal stab. I've also got his Hyper DL, which used with a surgical-tube zoom launch, is just a blast to fly. The launch always gets "oohs" and "aahs" from the club members!