Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Graupner Cirrus

Old 01-14-2003, 11:07 PM
shelden3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graupner Cirrus

I just acquired a Cirrus model, it is already built. Does anyone have any history on this model, mods, do's don'ts etc??? It is the Graupner Cirrus I think the ws is 114" It was built as a RE ship only. Thanks for the info....

Charlie
Old 01-14-2003, 11:30 PM
Alvin Souphound

Default Graupner Cirrus

Charlie:
I believe I had a Graupner Cirrus in the 70's. There were two similar airplanes, the Cirrus and the Cumulus. Both were 3M (2800MM) or 120" wingspan. The difference between them was the Cirrus was a three channel with ailerons, the Cumulus a two channel. Both had the fiberglass fuselage. I flew both using a .09 glo pod. Great aircraft, very light wingloading, and great in finding thermals. I still have a fuselage, and would like to trade some information if we are talking about the same aircraft.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:29 AM
shelden3

Default Graupner Cirrus

Alvin,

I've not yet seen the bird in person, I just purchased it on ebay. I was told by the owner that it was a 2ch no ail. so it must be the Cirrus model, which is what I was told as well. I'll let you know more after I get it....maybe my norvell .061 will pull it up who knows.

charlie
Old 01-15-2003, 02:02 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Graupner Cirrus

These 2 models were very similiar at first sight, but in reality, the only thing they had in common , was the fuselage :

Cirrus : 3m ( 118 in )wingspan, straight taper, built-up wings.
Basic configuration was rudder-elevator, but ailerons could be incorporated optionally.

Cumulus : 2.8m ( 110 in ) wingspan, slightly sweeped wings, which came ready made of foam and balsa ( or obeeche, I can't remember), rudder-elevator only.

The fuselages were the same, except that the Cumulus used a different canopy

Michael
Old 01-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Alvin Souphound

Default Graupner Cirrus

Sheldon3: As MTT pointed out in his reply, the wingspan I referred to as 2800MM would be approximately 110" instead of 120" and I stand corrected, thanks MTT. As I said, I had both configurations, and IF I remember correctly, the tail section was different, with the Cumulus 2 channel having a much bigger rudder. I would appreciate when you get your model you would let me know the dimensions of the stabilizer (span). Somewhere in the process of moving, the stabilizer/s have been lost. Since I have the rest of the aircraft, I can make some new ones, and put it back in the air. From my experience the .09 with a 7x4 prop had a handful with this big an airplane. I would not recommend going smaller.
Thanks again for your reply.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:28 PM
BILLYFLYS
My Feedback: (277)

Default CIRRUS/CUMULUS

Hey Charley how's it goin?? MTT has given you the most accurate discription of these two birds... I have 3 CIRRUS's built and flying and 4 kits that need to be built after these ware out... I also have 1 CUMULUS built and flying.. The CIRRUS does have built up wings with spoilers if you wish... Thats what I have in mine... Was intended to be two channel with the option of puting spoilers I believe (3ch)... The fuselages are in 4 pieces of ABS plastic (Cirrus&Cumulus) that you had to glue together and put fiberglass tape on the inside where all the pieces come together at the seams... I don't recall them ever being sold with fiberglass fuselages, because the boxes they came in are only a little over 2ft long?? The CUMULUS on the other hand is a balsa sheeted over foam wing with them being swepped back a little... It does have a different canopy too... It was intended to be 2ch rudder elevator, mine does not have ailerons, I can't remember without getting the kit down out of the attic to look, to see if it did have the option of ailerons??? YES, they both are 110" wing spands... I have found that the best flying of the two is the CIRRUS hands down.... So if the bird that you are going to recieve is the CIRRUS you have the cream of the crop!! HAPPY FLYING,
REGARDS,
BILLY
Old 01-15-2003, 07:36 PM
kingbee

Default Graupner Cirrus

The Graupner Cirrus was the plane to beat in the early '70s. It and the Cumulus epitomized the "fast and heavy" end of the design spectrum (very European even then), as opposed to the "floater" types like the Oly 99.

The Cumulus did have a plastic fuse, but it was one piece, whereas the Cirrus was 3 piece.

For more info and some photos of both kits, see:
http://www.skybench.com/nostalgia/sc...crapindex.html

RCM had an article (June n'75) on how to make a "Super Cirrrus" which involved adding polyhedral, and a larger rudder and stab. Basically making it into an Aqula My advice: don't. Build it stock and warp back to 1972.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-15-2003, 11:08 PM
Alvin Souphound

Default Graupner Cirrus

Thanks Kingbee for the link, the pictures show both models with the same empennage. The large rudder I referred to in my post are seen in the Cumulus photo, and since the empennage's are the same, I would conclude the rudder's are the same on both. If this is true, then my Cirrus (purchased in Germany in late sixties)) is maybe an earlier version, because it does not have the big rudder, and the vertical fin is an integral part of the fuselage. The glo engine pylon I mentioned in my earlier post to Charlie is shown on both models. My Cumulus had a one piece fuselage as pictured in the link.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:41 AM
Ollie

Default Graupner Cirrus

A flying buddy of mine, Jack Hiner, had a Cumulus back in the 70's. He flew it extensively and did well with it. As I recall it had a tendency to tip stall because of the sweepback and no washout. Jack cured it by slitting the bottom skin in a triangle that began at the trailing edge about 5 inches from the tip and ran in a straight line to a point on the tip which was about an inch and a half from the trailing edge. He bent the trailing edge up at the tip about 1/8 inch and glued a thin strip of balsa in the gap of the slit with yellow carpenter's glue. This added a bit of washout and decambered the tip airfoil a bit.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:00 AM
MTT

Default Graupner Cirrus

Ollie that's funny, I remember from my Cumulus that it had just that very procedure in the instructions, and with the washout, we never had any tipstalling problems.

Michael
Old 01-16-2003, 03:43 AM
Ollie

Default Graupner Cirrus

Michael,
It was 30 years ago. So, maybe I was wrong to credit Hiner with the solution rather than Graupner. On the other hand the wash out proceedure may have been added by Graupner to the instructions after the first production kits were in the hands of the first customers. Does it really matter now? The main thing is that Sheldon knows what to look for and how to fix it if it isn't there.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:01 AM
shelden3

Default Graupner Cirrus

I want to thank you guys for your comments and the journeys down memory lane. I really have enjoyed it, That is what makes this forum great right? The bird is already built, so I'll see what she looks like. I'm told it has nver been crashed etc...and has been sitting for 14 years. It will be a toss up on who is the oldest me or the bird. I'm 33 so this could easily be older it sounds. This will be my first "big one" I am flying a DAW 1-26 right now, and have a spirit elite lined up next. Once I get proficiant with those i'm going to play with my other ones. I have a Pierce Paragon needing to be built and a Hobie hawk ready to go. Now a G. Cirrus. So I guess I have a thing for nostalgia birds huh?

Keep the talk coming this is fun.

Charlie
Old 01-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Alvin Souphound

Default Graupner Cirrus

Charlie: Yes, the discussion has been informative, and with the discussion I was able to get information needed to rebuild my airplane, and I want to thank those that helped. I have a Cirrus fuselage, and Cumulus wings (2800MM/110"). I have found several websites and good reliable specification information on the two craft. The wing spans are different as MTT pointed out, and the rudders are different size, as I pointed out. I mention the rudder size only to appraise you that guys that I flew with at the time (1960's) complained that configured as a R/E the Cirrus, didn't have great rudder response. Based on their input, I built my Cirrus wing (118") with ailerons. Since I intend to use the Cumulus wings, I want to thank Ollie for the tip on the wing wash out as I don't remember it being in my Graupner instructions, but at my age, I'm expected to forget some things.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:49 PM
kingbee

Default Graupner Cirrus

Charlie,
Post a picture of the bird when you get it so some of us can drool

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-16-2003, 03:23 PM
MTT

Default Graupner Cirrus

I searched through eBay for "cirrus", and found this :Schempp-Hirth Cirrus

Is this the one ?

Michael
Old 01-16-2003, 04:04 PM
shelden3

Default Graupner Cirrus

yup that is the one. I am hoping I didn't pay too much for it. but you can't even buy a spirit elite 2m for that price either. I'm hoping this is at least that nice. Plus it comes with an extra set of wings from a "similar" bird. maybe it is the ones from the cumulus who knows. The seller couldn't remember.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:46 PM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Default Graupner Cirrus

Shelden3, I see you're getting a nice RS radio with your plane. I hope you realize that it is no longer usable being it is a wide band radio. I have a seven channel single stick RS I bought new years ago thats never been used, serial #1 (don't ask) I tried to have it narrow banded and was told because of the electronics in RS it could not be done. BTW I also have a cirrus I bought new when they first came out. Good to see some nostalgia stuff. Anyone flying a Miskeet?

Bud
Old 01-16-2003, 11:27 PM
shelden3

Default Graupner Cirrus

thanks for the note on the RS...yes as a Amateur radio operator I know all to well about band plans and fcc issues etc....I also know when you live in the country and your nearest neighbor is 2 miles away and you have 100 ac. of farm land that using an old radio won't matter really. But I plan on using my old faithful Super 8 anyway. I'll put the RS on the shelf with my ACE 4ch, Heathkit 8ch, silver futaba 5ch....or may throw it on ebay for someone to pick up for their shelf.

thanks
charlie
Old 01-17-2003, 02:15 AM
shelden3

Default Graupner Cirrus

while we are on the topic of manual ref as far as washout etc go, does any one still have a copy of the plans or manual? If so i'd happily pay for a copy. Kinko's can do a full size dup of the plans for about 7.00 or so. Manual would be much less.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 01-23-2003, 05:38 AM
shelden3

Default Graupner Cirrus

OK,
my bird arrived today...mostly unscathed. What pics you guys want to see etc.? Does anyone have a manual or plans for these?
Old 01-29-2003, 05:55 PM
GM1

Default Manual

I built a couple of these models in the early 70s and they are truly majestic when cruising along. The manual was in German but as I recall there was an English insert that sorta kinda translated the manual. I built the models using the plans only, never even looked at the manual. I think I still have an unbuilt Graupner Cirrus under the bed in the spare room for when I retire............
Old 06-24-2004, 09:41 PM
McLeodAviation
My Feedback: (70)

Default RE: Graupner Cirrus

Hi Charlie,

I just bought a Graupner Cirrus kit and was looking at related information on RCUniverse. I have wanted this kit for many years and can't wait to build and fly.

Have you flown your Cirrus? Do you use a winch or high start?

Are you still looking for plans and instructions?

McLeodAviation
Old 07-01-2004, 10:15 PM
McLeodAviation
My Feedback: (70)

Hi Cirrus fans,

I talked to Charlie by email and he never got his Graupner Cirrus in the air! Says he didn't have time for the project and traded for RC sailboat items. Sailboats are cool too!

McLeodAviation
Old 09-29-2005, 10:58 PM
rcflyerHouTx

Wow, I didnt' have to look far for information on the Graupner Cirrus 75 (at least that's what I think you guys are talking about). I was given this plane last weekend by a friend who was given this and a few other planes and some very old radios. Anyway, this plane does not have the "things" to connect the wings to the fuse. I've seen a few others ask if anyone has the manual for this glider and I'm interested as well. Also, are parts available anymore? I haven't had a chance to go to the local hobby shops here in Houston and ask about this glider and figured i'd check online here first.

I'd appreciate any help.

Bryan Saldana
Old 09-30-2005, 08:24 PM
P. Johnson
My Feedback: (1)

I still have a fuse and planes for a cumulus. I sold a set of wings earlier this summer, and loved mine, I flew it for over 25 years .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.