Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

the simple flying pleasure of a 2M R/E glider

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

the simple flying pleasure of a 2M R/E glider

Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the simple flying pleasure of a 2M R/E glider

well even after enjoying my 2M GL. I have read that the bigger ones do do better. AND oh BTW you are a dog getting a Bubble Dancer!
I have to wait a while for the credit card to heal up before I can get one![:@] Iwill be building a big bird Bot thoughI will add spoilers[>:]
Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 AM
rc doc

Thr larger gliders ,or older larger gliders fly slower. I generally liked the windfree type of glider to the windrifter type. At present I have a windrifter in my garage that I got fromthe estate of one of older pilots. I plan to fly it this summer. I have the fuse of a Aquila and thw ings that need recovering in my garage .They are the remainds of my favorite glider. I had a fire in my basement 20+ years ago and these are the remains. I just gave away a wanderer that I had for all too many years.
The gliders with thinner wings allow you to go cross country faster.
rcdoc John J. Smith
Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

Many a time back in the '70s I used to drain a flight pack battery on one Hi Start launch of my Oly II or Aquila Grande. On a good day the lift was everywhere above a few hundred feet of altitude. Sometimes I'd even set the trims for a slow circling turn, put the transmitter on the ground and lay back on the slope of the Mississippi River levee and just watch. Correcting for drift every now and then.

These days a couple of HLGs (Chrysalis and SkyBench Osprey) get the duty. There's even less stuff to bother with and I have gotten 1+ hour flights from a handlaunch into a thermal from the top of the levee. Just watch the grass swirl as the thermal approaches and throw into it or levee/ridge soar and wait for them to cycle through.

Just scored a Sagitta 600 to go along with the Sagitta 900 and glass fuse sitting in the closet. Hope to get them both flying this spring. RES is good enough for me. And with today's battery capacities, I'm looking forward to some long quiet flights.

Terry in LP
Old 11-21-2008, 04:38 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What can you do with a R/E Glider - Just Imagine it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9GLr...eature=related
Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 PM
enrico74
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Ed, thanks for the inspiration!! I started 20 years ago flying sailplanes. I had a BobCat 4 channel for first saiplane an it was slapped together kind of project! Flew fine until the building misses took their toll. So my next sailplane was a GL. borrowed plans from a friend that had the rib templates copied and proceeded to build my first scratch built sailplane. I even had a 3part wing. She was a beauty to fly and so i built 4 more in the following 12 years. In so many years I had the Gentle Ladies, two 4m scale ventus, a scratch built hlg, a sailaire, a widstar, an scratch built apogee dlg, andmost recently i have a new sailaire that need to be finished, a viking mk i and a moulded emerald td ship.

Now, why5 GL you would say? Well, here's the story. My first scratch built was a beautiful transparent blue and solid yellow deco. she was there to make me happy, (no i mean it,) i had no need of a histart cause she would speckout 3 out of 5 hand launches. But what really got me hooked with her, happened one morning in my flying field in hometown Quito - Ecuador. Lots of witnesses, brand new club hi start and I was upfirst going to show everybody how safe it was to launch with a high start. Got her all ready, checked radio, ok, so my dad volunteered to hook it up in the line. 1...2 ... 3... let er go ! I shouted and off she went. Perfect level wings, nice climb angle, crowened the top of the pull without hesitation, slid off the ring and after 3 seconds, caught a thermal and performed a beautiful spec out. I smiled to the "wows'" from spectators and as my dad approached me, i asked: did you flipped the switch off?? He just grabbed his face and said, "but i thought you turned it off!!"

HUnngg, the god of lift embrased her as her own, and she was going OOS (out of sight) in and out the blue sky. It had been only 5 minutes into what I thought was 1 hour and couldn't help it, but tears rolled down my face as I resigned to turn the radio off and "walk" (aka read run desperately) downwind as much it would allow me. I guess hungh was moved by this kid running behind his sailplane begging for it to come back that she started to circle downwards and kind of heading back to the flying field.

I was overwelmed with joy. she was coming back after all, trailing along the flight line which happened to be a small rolling hill with trees all over it, short trees though but full of thorns (native variety from south america) She kept circling to the right, lower and lower . making lazy circles on top of the hill, on top of the trees. My joy vanished one more time, it couldnt be true. So i stood there at the side of the paved landing strip, watching her go behind the trees.

My dad and some friends tried to chase her and the rest of the crowd whent "ohhhh" . I turned my back and brazed myself to hear the covering ripping against the thorns when somebody shout, "shes coming back!!!" I turned around and glimpsed at her inbetween the tree tops, when all of the sudden she rised one more time over the tree tops, barely touching the leaves and branches flying back towards where i was standing for the most perfect catch!

She lived for 12 + years until I had to move to the USA and left her back, perished in the hands of a friend while slope soaring in extreme windy conditions. RIP.

I still have my last two built and most likely they will stayt with me and my oldest son if he ever whants to fly a Lady anytime.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 AM
qldviking

I too started with a R/E soarer, but it had been modded with a cobalt 50 in the nose. was a great thermal glider all the same, and running a 1000mah 10cell I could get 3 good climbs and about 2 hrs soaring/thermalling. The longest flight I had was nearly 5 hours from 1 motor run to about 300 feet, it didnt matter where I turned that day I found the up elevator. That little glider introduced me to the joys of gliding and I think I still enjoy flying gliders most today.
I got my first taste of gliding while I was still learning with my trainer, My instructor told me to come and hand launch for him and then after 10 mins he passed me the tx without a word, so there I was first time with a glider, knees all wobbly, jaw on the deck, but I really enjoyed it, and when he offered to sell it to me the following day I bought it with a big grin, and had it in the air 30 min later after a battery charge and a full once over.
I now have 3 gliders 2.5m to 3m, I recently lost my fave tho [&o] that was an older 174"ws R/E thermal glider. that glider was the most relaxing of all my gliders, it would literally just float in the air and working the breeze (10-15 kn)you could get her to climb too. Landings could be a handful tho, it would just float along and you had to pretty well stall it hard to drop it on the deck.
I have a number of different aircraft in my hangar, and swap, buy and sell all the time but I will never be without at 2 gliders
I am now looking for plans/kit for a similar size glider (4.5m ws)
Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Old Larry

I recently had my hands on the controls of a friends 2M sailplane, rudder and elevator only. No ailerons or spoilers. I was told that in the case of this design, ailerons would have added unwanted weight and taken away the needed flex in the wing. This plane is only good on calm days but it will rise with just the slightest hint of lift.

There is one additional device. There is a servo in the center pod that is connected to two very thin wires that reach out to each wing tip. The servo applies or releases tension in the wing which changes how it flies and responds to wind and lift. It also twists the wing just a bit. You can see the results immediately but it takes patients to learn how to take advantage of this device.

I like the idea because it is something new and there are no experts or guide lines. I put the idea forward to him and he, the master builder, went ahead and built it. The wing has already been torn apart to build the second generation. We are developing a new structure for the wing that will allow changes to be made in the field.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:00 PM
roaddog2

Gentlemen,
I send greetings from Montross, Va.
Mr. Ed, (Please, Y'all; no horse jokes!) your article was beautiful. 'Encapsulates my dream almost exactly.
I recently aquired an Electricus, partly (Read: mostly) built, from a member, here, as I remember, and finished 'er. 'Haven't flown 'er yet; 'Long story, made short; "My head blew up!". All she needs is a battery/charger combo and an esc. I'm savin' my pennies f' them an' doin' therapy f' the other.
Have you any sticktime w/ that bird? I'm bustin' t' get it in the air; doin' all kinds o' stuff t' get my R hand ready for it by th' time I've got th' bucks... includin' buildin' a 1/4 scale Nosen Aeronca 7AC right now.
Enrico (I think it is), you're one LUCKY soul! If I EVER lucked out like that... well, that's just amazing! (Actually, I think I'd've retired th' thing... but that ain't quite right, either.)

Ed, thanks again, for a very well written post.

See Y'all,
Rd
Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 PM
aeajr

I do not know that plane. Since you posted here, I presume it is a 2M R/E/T type glider. Good luck with your maiden flights.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Frede2

Please-
What is R/E?
What is R/E/T?
Thanks [8D]
Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 AM
qldviking

R/E is Rudder and Elevator only
R/E/T is Rudder, Elevator and throttle, usually electric powered gliders

I hope this helps
cheers Johnno
Old 02-12-2009, 05:13 AM
aeajr

Thinking of 2M pure gliders only, What is new on the market, at any price?

The Tower Vista seems to have replaced the Spirit as a good first wood ARF.

Kennedy Composites has a new 2M competition kit called the Miles. Ths one is RES
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/miles.htm

So, what else is out there that is new?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 AM
enrico74

this site has many of the res and nostalgia wood kits. [link=http://www.skybench.com]SKYBENCH AEROTECH[/link] on 2 mtrs there isthe oly and sky bird. they also have the bigger ones like my favorite: VIKING MK I & II.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 PM
aeajr

I have a nice selection of 3M+ gliders, both full house ( supra, Thermal Dancer, Legend ) and RES ( AVA ) but I still enjoy the simple pleasuers of R/E Gliders.

Soon I will be adding a 2M electric R/E/T glider to the fleet, the Parkzone Radian. This glider has become very popular at our club. I have been recommending it to many people. Now I will have one of my own.

So,

You guys still flying 2M R/E? What's new in your fleet?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 PM
CBM Racing

Let us know how you like your radian, love mine and brought me back to flying again the way I like it, simple and fun without hassles. I too want a new r/e ship. Been trying to save up for a sig riser 100, but one thing or another keeps getting in the way it, life goes on...So, in the meantime been building and experimenting with homemade designs. Made a hotwire bow saw out of parts around the shop, and cutting wing panels out of pink foam. I had one 137 or 157 inches, can't remember for sure, r/e only. Flew incredibly slow and thermalled in what seemed dead air, but it only weighed about 28ozs, and couldn't penetrate a dogs bark, heh heh. After awhile "pinky" kinda fell apart due to abuse, so building a few smaller models now. I never used to like foam, but after my radian maiden, gained much more respect, and many ideas. We are all only limited by our imagination when it comes to building and flying these most basic, simple, and fun sailplanes. That is what I am finding out again, how to make something heavier than the air around it, gain altitude and actually fly! Someday maybe a full house bird, but for now, I can't imagine a more relaxing awe inspiring thing as rising up towards the clouds using only basic rudder and elevator.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:11 AM
desert flier

Hi I have not been to RC universe for quite a while mostly RC groups but i built a bubble dancer from a lazer art short kit I built my own fuze. It is/ was a pure pleasure to fly specked it out at 4000ft once have an eagle tree vario trace thought I had lost it untill I saw a glint and then puled spoiler and spun down legs shaking. Anoter day I was up and thought I could see something strange around the tail thought it was fabric coming of then realised that I had no elevator the hinges had come loose and the whole elevator was hanging of I did some very gentle turns andwas still able to bring it down with no damage within the flying field. I am now making a carbon balsa fuse for it it is a great great gentle glider
Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

Let us know how you like your radian, love mine and brought me back to flying again the way I like it, simple and fun without hassles.
I won the Radian in the raffel to support the US F3B competition team that is in the Chek Republic right now. Will get it the end of August. I plan to use it primarily as a trainer for new pilots. But I have really enjoyed the ones I have flown that belong to our other members.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 PM
aeajr

After our club RES day, one of the new members was so impressed with the RES planes he is now looking for a used Super AVA.

Just love these RES planes.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

Let us know how you like your radian, love mine and brought me back to flying again the way I like it, simple and fun without hassles.
The Radian is a joy to fly. Simple to set up, strong climb and super light wing loading. It thermals so nicely and is so well behaved. I just love it.

It is not going to displace my Supra or my AVA, but when I want convenience over ultimate performance, the Radian will fill that slot nicely. And when I want to teach a new pilot, the Radian will be my first choice.

But don't forget the other planes!

Do you have a 2M woody sitting in the racks, all dusty and neglected? Why not take it out, brush it off and take it out for some fun.

Sure it is just a hunk of wood, glue and covering but there are memories in there that need to be taken out and relived. So leave the big plane home this weekend and take out the ones that got you to where you are today. I bet you will smile all day.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 AM
aeajr

This past weekend I took my Radian R/E and began teaching an 9 year old how to fly.

After spending some time reviewing the controls I did some hand on hand instruction with him. After about 15 minutes he had the controls in his hands. His task was to keep the plane in front of us and to keep it flying fairly straight and level. If he got over our heads or had lost enough altitude I took the radio back and got him back where I wanted him.

You see, they have a Radian, but shortly after putting it in the air it crashed. So it has not been flyable for several months. Each time they have come to the field I see the boy looking at his Dad flying and the rest of us, but he is not flying. He helps with the winch and retriver and is a great kid.

Anyway, after about 45 minutes he and his Dad ( one of our club members ) had to leave. So his Dad asked how he liked it. Hi response was to tell Dad that they needed to get their Radian back in the air.

Dad was pleased.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 PM
evlwevl

After reading those stories of RE glider flight, I realize I need to recapture that original excitement I had when i first started out. Since moving to a flatland area, getting married and having 2 kids, My slope planes haven't seen much action. After my local glider club lost its flying privileges, I haven't done much in the way of soaring either.

I have many memories with my GL that was given to me in kit form from a friend who's dad bought it for him and left it in the garage for 20 years. I built it retaining some of its water damaged, and worm holed wood to add to its character. I just opened the box yesterday to look at remnants of the kit and the plans that disintegrate when you touch them. The GL still hangs gracefully in my garage ready to use at a moments notice. Ive since added a 2M Sovereign that flys wonderfully as well. It also hangs from the ceiling in my garage. My limited flying time now exists in blocks of minutes rather than hours. My collection now consists of mostly brushless parkflyers and now a helicopter. Their abbreviated flight time seems to work better with my current schedule and provide the quick fix that I need every now and again. I will continue to dream of a time when the day was mine, the weather perfect, and just me sitting in a lawn chair, controller in hand and looking towards the sky forgetting about everything else.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85541.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1307953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59453.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	1307954  
Old 11-06-2009, 03:23 PM
sailjunky

I have to say its a friday afternoon and im charging my controller my two 3s lipos for my extra and my reciever pack for my MAJESTIC v-tail (RES) glider.. Making the 75mile drive to prescott az in the morning to fly in a local clubs time duration fun event.. Only bringing th res cause its so unbelievably calming..  I should bring out the full house but the southwest classic is still months away so plenty of time to practice for that.. I love flying rudder and elevator only spoilers are nice for the landing but i must say my fling 2m was such a light and great flying 2 channel... Let you know exactly when you were in lift and i was even able to hand launch that thing into lift... I enjoy the days we get to just relax laugh and have fun with our friends on the field..