Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Too many choices / not enough info

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Too many choices / not enough info

Old 02-10-2002, 05:47 PM
bobbyjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too many choices / not enough info

After a long layoff from RC flying (10 years) I've decided to get back into it. The electrics have come so far that they now look very appealing and after looking around I've sort of settled on some parameters for my first model. I really like the look and flying envelope of the F5B glider class of sailplanes but more for a sport application, the question is which one. I like the idea of a V tail (instead of rudder and elevator) as it gets it off the ground and away from obstacles (I've had problems ripping off rudders and snapping T tail elevators in half from impact) and the fact that you get both functions if you have room for the servos. I want a sheeted wing instead of built up and covered (I really hate it when you make a good landing but still end up with a hole in the wing). The power should be adequate for long climbs and duration but I've seen prices from $15.00 to $750.00. Is there anyone out there with this type of configuration (sport F5B)? I would appreciate any suggestions for model / power combinations. I donít mind spending the money but I don't want to experiment on my first model and end up with a turkey.

Thanks,
Bobbyjack
Old 02-11-2002, 02:24 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

In my opinion, the battery-powered sailplanes are a cruel joke on the modeling community. If they carry enough batteries to get them up, they are so heavy they come down just as quickly, unless you can find a real "hat-sucker" thermal. In addition to the high sink rate, they must fly at speeds which make it difficult to "read" the plane when searching for lift. With the engine off, my 25 pound, 135" wingspan, Spacewalker with a wing loading of 17 ounces per square foot will out-thermal any electric sailplane I've ever seen. My advice is get a real sailplane and a high-start or winch. Then you'll have some fun, instead of disappointment.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:51 PM
greg-RCU

Man Roger, you gonna get flamed on that one. Electric sailplanes (Motor gliders?) have the advantage of being able to launch from a small field. On the other hand the extra weight will require some room to land.

I started with an Electra and man that heavy battery can really cause some dammage when you crash! I've converted it back to a GL by exchanging the motor for the reciever batt and leaving the motor battery out. Moved the servos up into the nose and it ballanced very nicely. I think with a highstart you get a lot more stick time unless you've invested in 3 or 4 battery packs and field charger. With the highstart I can carry the plane, tranny and start all in one trip from the car.

Bobbyjack, if you hate dammaging a plane on a good landing the electric - for all it's advances - is still too heavy. esp. on your field - sounds pretty rough!
Old 02-12-2002, 01:01 AM
bobbyjack

Thanks Guys,
When I first started flying (in the mid eighties) my first rig was a glider and a hi-start. Been there done that. After the hi-start thing we went to an OS Max .10 on the front of a graupner ASW 22. MAN!! sometimes you wished you had an engine cut off switch. The performance was fantastic but I just hated the mess. This plane would not be a thermal ship in the pure sense of the word but rather an in between fun type plane I could take with me fishing or camping. Launch it out of a smaller field, climb up, do some aerobatics maybe catch a thermal or two and land the thing, or maybe hit the slope. (I've got a 12' graupner in the gliders for sale category if you're interested in that type of plane). I would like the best of both worlds, I know its going to be heavy (and fast) but I think it will be fun. I'm sure that someday I'll build another pure glider (don't get me wrong, they're a blast) but for now I think I'll go this route. Anyone else?
Thanks,
bobbyjack
Old 02-12-2002, 01:37 AM
R. Carver

A clubmate has an Omega 1.5 with a brushless Kontronic motor in it... Climbs almost straight up, thermals OK, and performs plenty of aerobatics. Check out NEsail.com, and run over to EZonemag.com for other suggestions...
Good luck, and have fun!
Old 02-12-2002, 01:41 AM
Cadet

I believe what you are looking for is called a warm liner. Now the question is, are your flying skills up to it? Ten years is a long time to be out of the hobby. You might start with a Zagi and then move on to the sailplane.

Zagi: www.zagi.com

Hotliner: www.nesail.com/flilipe.htm

Cheers,
Grant
Old 02-12-2002, 05:13 AM
bobbyjack

Default Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks Guys,
Looks like just what the doctor ordered. I have a 40 size sweet stick that I can brush up with while I'm putting a plane together (I haven't gotten rid of everything). I don't think it should take me too long to get back into shape. I've also been able to log a few hours now and then on the sim. I also really like the price,(Flilipe) sounds like I should be able to set it up for around $350.00 less radio! Then when I crash it I can be back in the air for $150.00 (gotta think about these things).
Bobbyjack
Old 02-13-2002, 02:39 AM
SoarNeck

Ah, Roger. The sheer cluelessness of that post almost defies belief. I won't bother to respond other than to say check out: http://www.f5jelectric.com/

Then catch a clue. Your post might have been applicable 15 years ago, but it isn't now.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:47 PM
bobbyjack

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for all the feedback!! hope to see you on the field someday!!
Bobbyjack