Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Spoilerons?

Old 02-12-2002, 08:39 PM
bobbyjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoilerons?

Hi out there!
Has anyone had any experience with spoilerons? Are they the inverse of flaperons (deflect up instead of down?) Has anyone had any luck with them? Iím thinking of building a hotliner type electric glider and lot of advertisements mention them to slow the plane down for landing. It seems to me that they might control the descent but how about the speed?
Thanks in advance,
bobbyjack
Old 02-12-2002, 09:57 PM
Ollie

Default Spoilerons

When the ailerons are both deflected upward, they are called spoilerons and they behave like spoilers. They increase drag and decrease lift. The increased drag slows a fast moving plane and the reduced lift increases the stalling speed so, the speed range is reduced. The average decalage is reduced when spoilerons are deployed and this produces a nose down pitch response.

The turn response with spoilerons deplayed can be quite different than normal depending on how much spoileron deflection, how much aileron differential and how much rudder compensation is mixed in. It is not a popular control arrangement.

BTW, the full scale Minimoa of the 1930's used spoilerons.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:09 AM
bjaffee

Default spoilerons

Spoilerons are quite popular with planes that don't have seperate flaps, for example, on slope gliders with full span ailerons (most 60" slope gliders are like this). There is really no other way to slow these planes down then to use spoilerons. You can try using flaperons (both ailerons down), but you lose a LOT of roll authority, which is bad at landing speeds.

You use spoilerons to control speed by using them in conjuction with the elevator. For example, if you are going really fast, you can pop on the spoilerons in conjuction with up elevator. The up elevator will put the plane in a nose high attitude, and allow it to slow down without using much altitude.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:39 AM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Default Spoilerons?

Spoilerons work very well in conjunction with the flaps on most models that use the "crow" landing configuration. I've found the aileron response remains good with no tendency to tip-stall even at low airspeeds.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:03 PM
bobbyjack

Default Spoilerons?

Thanks everyone for the reply's, looks to me like a new radio in the future. Mine will mix flaperons but I don't know if I can get it to do spoilerons. I also have elevator / flap mixing but it seems like its backward from what I need (need evevator w/ flap not flap w/ elevator). I'v been looking at the Futaba 8UAF as it seems you can pick one up used fairly reasonable.
Thanks again,
bobbyjack
Old 02-18-2002, 05:30 PM
rogerflies
My Feedback: (3)

Default Spoilerons?

If you have room in the fuselage for the servos and can make the openings for the pushrods, you can do the flap to elevator mixing and the spoileron mixing mechanically. That's what Bob Dodson did with the Lovesong and it worked very well. It also made the plane lighter, since all the servos were in the nose. A full-house plane with a simple radio and just three standard servos.