Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

X-models mini Blade DS

Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-models mini Blade DS

Hi there

I have been sloping for a while now and am hopelessly hooked. I just ordered a mini blade ds with flaps.
Does anyone have any experience with this model? I did a fair bit of research before buying but
am still a little uncertain as to how tough this plane will be. I fly on a variety of slopes. But mostly they are quite rocky and
require you to be good at landing or using epp. Using a soft patch of bush is usually the only option. The slopes are all really good with huge lift though.
And there is no shortage of wind either. The blade will be my first moulded plane and I hope it will last past my first landing. hehe.

cheeers
Old 02-14-2007, 04:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: X-models mini Blade DS

Wow, no mention of the Blade at the RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring forums here ...

Here's a (re)build thread at another forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=blade

I also saw mentions about rocky landing sites. Someone was planning to move from an EPP foamy to a Mini Blade, and someone else was offering "future condolences" ... better pick your best landing site for the maiden.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 AM

Thanks for the link. Please excuse my noobiness.

"condolences" omg
Old 02-14-2007, 11:37 AM

The standard Mini Blade is light and fairly fragile. But then it's designed for light winds and it flies well in those conditions. The Carbon Mini Blade (DS Version) is much more durable than the stock glass version. However you still can't bounce it off boulders and expect it to walk away undamaged. I don't know if any composite plane that will do that. With flaps and good pilot at the sticks it's pretyy easy to land the Mini Blade. So as long as you have a small area that is relatively clear of debris you should be fine. The plane is a tricky one to build. Getting the gear into the tiny nose along with the lead to balance it requires some imagination. Go to the SoaringUSA.com forums, there is a lot of Mini Blade info there. RCgroups also has quite a few Mini Blade threads.

TFLG
Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I'd be careful of bushes unless theyre very soft. The leading edge of the wing can be bashed in fairly easily. Pick a good landing spot, and hey, dont be shy about moving any rcks that you can out of the landing zone. TFLG is right about the nose, it will be packed for the maiden.

The upside is its a nice plane in the air. It carves around the sky with little or no vices. Landings are accurate and short. I helped a guy maiden one and he was tearing around after 10 minutes behind the stick, and able to land it fairly well.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:01 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah I was a little worried about the leading edges and the bushes. I think I will definately fly this plane at Red Hill first.
This slope has a huge landing area with soft long grass and lots of soft white sand. I might add some pillows and blankets for good measure. Nah I'm sure with crow breaking I'll be ok. I have this ZERO warbird which has foam core, balsa covered wings and a glass fuse. 1.2m wing span. Now that thing moves and has zero brakes, excuse the pun. I can land that plane at Red Hill no probs.
But every time I fly it at one of the other more mountainous slopes I end up rebuilding the wing.[] The problem is these other slopes have huge lift, work consistantly and are within a ten minute drive from my house. So maybe its just best to stick to foamies on these slopes. I love building them anyway. Damn I never figured the blade would be so delicate. Why no reinforced LE or foam core?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:44 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Thats a great question. I always imagine what the slopes in Eastern Europe (or Northern Italy or wherever the Balde comes from) must look like. They must be very cushy. here in Northern California its rocks and bushes.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:49 AM

Well my blade arrived yesterday. It arrived with a crease in the wing tip.[:@] *#*%#
But besides that she is a beautiful. Oh well I suppose a little crease is not bad for having been shipped half way around the world.
Now to get building. I read a lot of complaints about the size of the cockpit and they were all correct. Nothing like a good challenge.
Anyone have english instructions by any chance?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:47 PM

Ok I have finally managed to source a copy of the english instructions from the owner of www.tuttala.com.

Here is a link to download the pdf.

[link]http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/89961/Blade-1-5-V3-1-ENG-WEB-pdf.html[/link]

These instructions are very nice and I have already finished the cockpit complete with casted lead. Its looking very neat indeed.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Hi, Just purchased a Mini Blade. The Instructions are in Italian and have tried the link for the english version but I can't seem to find the english instructions from the link, can anybody offer any assistance, Thanks
Old 04-01-2007, 08:27 PM

For those that are interested there is another Review and brief construction article on <http://www.flyingsites.co.uk/reviews...iblade.htm> giving advice on CofG and control throws.

For those in Oz that are interested Sailplane.AUS also happen to be the local dealer for the Mini-Blade and we have them is stock.

Cheers
Dave
<www.rc-sailplane.com.au>