Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
 Radio Transmitter Which one? >

Radio Transmitter Which one?

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Radio Transmitter Which one?

Old 03-24-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Transmitter Which one?

Hi Guys! I'm and old timer who has done very little RC flying about 30 years ago! I would like to get back into it again and was wondering which Radio Transmitter to get? I want one that will be good for Airplanes and Heli's, basically and around type. Also I want to buy a fairly decent one. I don't want to have to upgrade later. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:28 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Radio Transmitter Which one?

Well, I really like my JR-9303.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:31 PM

Check out the Multiplex Evo 9 ....
Old 03-24-2007, 08:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

How about a Futaba 9CHP? The heli version is preferred by most sailplane pilots.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=9chp
Old 03-26-2007, 11:21 AM

I like my JR 8103, but I'm only now kinda learning to program it. If your not digitally adept, then I would find one easier to program.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:10 PM

The 9303 is WAY easier than the 8103 (though I wouldnt mind picking a used 8103, as its actually a pretty capable radio, and they sell cheap as used) and theres some great manuals you can download for free that give tou some really good shortcuts for programming 6-servo sailplanes.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Any 6Ch Tx would be ideal, from either Futaba, JR or Hitec.

It depends on how much you want to pay, and how sophisticated you want it to be.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Birdog:

Your timing could not be better as I used my Fotaba 6 chanel 2.4gn radio for the first time today on my Spirit 100 glider. This glider needs a lot of lift and having a nice new radio also helps. The receiver is tiny and has no outside antenna to get in the way or look sloppy. Also I have two jr radios and they work just fine also a HighTec that is getting kind of old but has given great service. The new 2.4 gh radios have a very quick response time and the Futuba one is changing freques constantly so who is on what channel makes no difference. I never have to ask anybody what channel they are on and a new receiver is about $100 from Tower Hobbies. Go to the Tower Hobbies website and look around. As far as a new plane a good start wold be a electric sailplane about two meters in wingspan with a brushless motor. This will give you plenty of power and some time to make corrections be for it hits the ground. Get some help from a experienced pilot as I did not and spent mucho pesos because of it. Warren
Old 03-30-2007, 06:39 AM

I too just received my Futaba 6EX 2.4 GHz radio and receiver. I fly at a club where I am the only sailplane. It is an electric, Ray Hayes's XL Big Bird with flaps. I stay up a long time and don't want to tie up a certain channel, so this is why I purchased the 2.4 GHz.
I had a coupon deal ....$30.00 off with a $199.00 purchase or more. This radio, radio battery, and receiver, (nothing else), was $219.99. It ended up costing me $190.00 plus shipping.
I was slightly disappointed in the radio, although for the price....... it will do just fine for me. "CONS": Futaba 6EX .... It does not have an adjustable flap setting knob. It is a toggle switch, and is up or down flaps. (You can set the amount). It has 2 prog. mixes. I put one for flap and elevator. The other I rigged for down flaps about 1/16 to 1/8" for possible attempts at more lift in thermals. I heard this can be done. There is also NO "Radio ON ..LED". Although I do not know much about the Spectrum DX7.... I do think it is a better Radio. "PROS": Futaba 6EX... It can be purchased cheaper because of no servos etc. AND to me..... a BIG plus is the small, one piece, receiver.
It has 2 thin antennas about 6 inches long. ............ lownslo.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 AM

Spektrum DX7
Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 AM

Deforcer.......... Good thing you cleared up the spelling. No one would have known what I was talking about!..
lownslo
Old 04-02-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bigdog100

Hi Guys! I'm and old timer who has done very little RC flying about 30 years ago! I would like to get back into it again and was wondering which Radio Transmitter to get? I want one that will be good for Airplanes and Heli's, basically and around type. Also I want to buy a fairly decent one. I don't want to have to upgrade later. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
The Spektrum DX7 would be an excellent choice. $339
No channel conflict and full of features. Long range receiver.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM2720

If you want to go the traditional 72 MHz path with a radio with more mixing, consider the Futaba 9C. I fly sailplanes and small electric planes but I go the H, heli, version. Same software just different switch positions:
http://www.servocity.com/html/9ch_super_systems.html

If you need to be a little less expensive, then consider the Hitec Optic 6 - $210
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXPVR5**&P=7