Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Looking for a scale tow plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Looking for a scale tow plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 01:52 AM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a scale tow plane

I've been looking for a scale tow plane. I've found two that I like...

Wilga

Dornier DO 27

Any of you guys flown these?

Jim!
Old 02-21-2003, 03:32 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've seen a Pilatus Porter ( or perhaps it was a Turbo Porter) used as a glider tug locally a few years back. That would be a good option too.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:49 AM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

Actually, I have a PC-6, (the short nose version) Porter. It flys ok, but the tail moment is a little short for all the things I want to do. It tends to slide around a little more than even my Cub does.

I am hoping that someone that has one of the Frisch Wilgas (top pic) will speak up on how they like it. The other thing I have not figured out about them is wether they have a built up or foam wing?

The DO 27 is not as striking (ugly), but is different also. Believe me, there's nobody anywhere near the clubs that I fly at with anything like these guys, different...
Old 02-22-2003, 04:43 AM
HHRND

I have seen both tugs and the Wilga seems to fly VERY well. I talked to Peter George who owns a DO-27 and he says it flys good, but can be a handfull in a crosswind. You might also like to check out the new Wilga 2000 from Rodel available from John Derstine at Edless Mountain Models.

Good Luck,

John Diniz
Old 02-22-2003, 01:35 PM
VinceC

The Wilga from Frisch has a foam wing. The Southampton Soaring Society use three of them, two crashed last year and the owners have bought the same again. That should be a good enough recommendation in itself. Their website and forum is at
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sssrcsoaring/
If you send me ypur email address I can send you a report that one of them has just done about building the Frisch Wilga
My contact :-
[email protected]
Old 02-22-2003, 01:52 PM
AR196

Having flown in both the full size Wilga and Bird Dog as tow planes, I can tell you that there is not much difference in their towing ability - full size that is.

The Wilga was stock. That landing gear is relly cool for rough ground. Tough to see over the nose while taxiing though as you sit sort of reclined.

The Bird Dog was an Ector conversion - extra cowl flaps, 60 degree wing flaps and a few other goodies.

With two on board, it towed just fine.

The best part was after chucking the slug we towed. Decent was a steep, 90 degree banked, descending turn, right on the stall at over 3,000 fett per minute. Yowee!!

The pilot said this is essential because the next glider is always waiting for a lift.

Anyway, as long as you use your rudder for all turns, since that what it's for, you'll be okay with any of your choices.

I've noticed that's usua;;y why modelers gripe about their planes sliding around the sky. They are sliding. It's called skidding, kiddies. FUll size 172 drivers have that problem to.

Taildraggers for me.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:14 PM
scalesoar
My Feedback: (8)

Jim and I have already talked, so this is not neccessarily for his ears, but to answer some comments above.
The Wilgas are also needing lots of attention in a cross wind, in fact the designer of the Frisch Wilgas, Alex Frisch uses a gyro on his 1/3 size. All these largish scale planes need educated left thumbs to fly correctly. (assuming mode 2)

I have flown the 1/4 Frisch(owned 3 of them), and the 1/3 size. The 1/4 size is just a little twitchy as compared to the larger ones, and is not a beginners plane. However they are an awsome tow plane with a 4.2 CI motor up front. They a simply a fun aircraft to fly. The 1/3 scale rendition is just a big powerful *****cat to fly. Very slow, and reasonable fast with the right motor. It can easily handle a DA 150cc motor.
Frisch makes the best kits of Wilgas available, and I would reccomend any of his without hesitation. That said, the new Rodel Wilga 2000 looks to be equally good. I have already ordered two of them sight unseen and before the prototype has flown. That's how much confidence I have in Bernd Doeffler chief designer and pilot for Rodel.

The Vogt DO27- is a very reliable tug as well. rugged, dependable and with good spung gear and leading edge slats. As stated before, any of these scale tugs need lots of rudder in a cross wind, this is not a defect. They fly like full scale tow planes with lots of vertical fin area.
See Pete George's post on HTTP://www.sailplanes.com
Forum.

JD
Old 03-05-2003, 02:23 AM
pjpc6

Default Pilatus porter tow plane

I have 2 1/4 scale pilatus porter tow plane wing span 144 inches fuse is 8 1/2ft very very scale i can send you more info

Thanks joe
Old 03-05-2003, 07:24 AM
Bruce DeVisser
My Feedback: (5)

Here's another "different" choice, it is a great flyer and it has tricycle gear, the Bruckman Swiss Trainer.

http://www.scalesoaring.net/SWISS05.jpg

http://www.scalesoaring.net/SWISS06.jpg

Enough room for in-fuselage twin quiet pipe mufflers.

For another "different" towplane, check out the Yak 112t at http://www.airworld.online.de/Motorf...112/index.htm.

I converted my Yak to taildragger and flew it literally for hundreds of hours over 7 year period - it is an excellent tow plane. I have a new one that will also be taildragger, but with a shock-tower Wilga-style landing gear. Yak will take G-62 up to 3W-85 Twin; I recommend a twin as they are so much smoother.

Fly Scale!
Bruce
Old 07-31-2003, 07:15 PM
rcdirigibles

Please,
Anybody can give me the web page of Dorel ?
Or..... pages about Wilga and Dornier RC planes ?

Thanks in advance,

Alejandro