Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Balsa fuse mod! The perfect Proboscis?

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Balsa fuse mod! The perfect Proboscis?

Old 03-04-2003, 10:14 PM
AirHead256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa fuse mod! The perfect Proboscis?

Check this out - I changed out the wheels on my inline skates because I wanted to put bigger diam wheels on. I was left w/ 8 old wheels that still had plenty of rubber left on them, nice round-shaped pieces of flubber-like heavy impact-absorbimg rubber?

I'm going to cut the front 3/4" off the balsa nose of a couple of my build-up gliders and replace it w/ a chunk of wheel rubber that has been ground into the shape of the balsa piece I remove.

Potential advantages:
1. I'm dumping very light material from the absolute tip of the fuse nose. Because of lever action and the fact that the weight is far forward of the CG, every gram increase of weight way out in the nose replaces well over a gram of lead from back inside the fuse.

2. I get a little 'boink insurance' in the form of a slightly bouncable fuse nose. This should at least spread the boink-shock over a much larger footprint of the remaining balsa nose.
Thoughts?
Anyone else tried this one?
Anyone what a wheel to give-it-a-go?

Perry of ' Rats & Old Gas Bag'
R(idge) A(nd) T(hermal) (S)oaring of Santa Fe, a
O(rganization) L(argely) D(evoted) to
G(lider) A(nd) S(ailplane)
B(ashing) A(nd) G(luing)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60906_1568.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.4 KB