Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Super Esprit
2.94%
Grand Esprit
10.59%
Aquila
29.41%
Aquila Grande
13.53%
Aquila XL
4.71%
Viking MkI
7.65%
Viking MkII
8.82%
Golden Eagle
4.71%
Wanderer 99
12.94%
Magnum 12
4.71%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Sailplanes you have had?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sailplanes you have had?

I have two of them also!!
Joe
I am putting aileron/flaps on the Green, White, Grey one. Well see how that goes.. Its my own Wing design, Foam core, carbon spar and balsa sheeted
Picture during the process - They sure do float.
The All Green, silver pinstripe one was my dads I inherited.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87169.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	1543332  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents,

Gliders I did have, several own design models, Canard, Horten, “normal†gliders etc.

Two to show I still have, but nothing to vote.

Sagitta 900 with modified outrunner to fit in the slender nose. Fat fixed axle with the bearings in front of the motor.
Own design variometer with dynamic and static tubes mounted on the wingtips, not in the slipstream of the propeller. No spoilers, Martin Hepperle MH32 airfoil for the wings.

Second picture, in the workshop now after a crash, ASK 18 4,4 m span, 30 years old.

Cees
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44393.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1544296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32033.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1544297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94116.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1544298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43713.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	1544299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27599.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1544300  
Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 PM
skybill
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Thermaler,
Early on built a Thermic 50X freeflight 'bout '59-60 and flew it till it crumbled!! also a Thermic C and later on a Thermic Trooper. In '76 I was in Iran working for Leroy Grumman on his F-14Iran project and a guy from Bell Heli Intl had a retired army FPO and got models and supplies for us at stateside prices!! Built a Sig Super Sinbad "Tissue covered!!" and put a ACE Pulse sys in it!! Flew great! Then State side in So Cal Costa Mesa Estancia Bluffs home of the Harbor Soaring Soc. built and flew a Windward, a Windfree, a Wanderer (actually several!!") a Gnome, a Flinger (from plans), took a Riley Wooten VooDoo kit and bashed it into a 2 ch ail & elev slope machine, did the same with a Topflite Super Flitestreak!! Got a remake of an old Sterling F-51 profile Ukie kit and did the ail & elev thing with it too. Got a Oly II from a guy at work that needed re covering and re did it and flew it till it disentigrated!! Built a Bob Sliff Sensoar and got a Wanderer from my old bud Dale Lemons and they got stolen outa my Chevy S-10!! Dale then gave me a really old Sensoar covered with Purple and white monocote that I flew for a while as I built another wanderer then I tore the P & W Sensoar down to the bones, rebuilt it and covered the wings and tail with yellow solartex and painted the fuse blue and trimmed it out to look like an old Schweitzer TG-2!!!! "Sweet" and she sits here in the puter room off the side of the desk by the box of rolled model a/c plans!! Play on Gypsys', play on!!! Think that 'bout covers it, now...what to build next!!

Blue skyz!!,
skybill-out

PS there was this flyin' wing thing A friend gave me 'bout 5 feet of "Wing with about a 12 inch chord. was an interesting flyer till it disentigrated.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:22 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Midwest Lil'T, scratch built Silent Squire, scratch built Ladybird, T&J Hijacker, Airtronics Oly II, Art Hobbies Colibri and Hyper, Soaring USA(?) Apache DLG. Jon
Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 PM
greenflash

Well, back in the day ('70s); a Graupner Amigo II (dope and silkspan) and a Drifter II (Monokoted). I sure wish I'd kept them!
Currently; a Bird of Time, a GP Siren, a Fling HLG, a Wattage Whisper 2M, a Goldberg Gentle Lady, a scratch-built 60" electric from a swap meet, an unbuilt '80s 2M electric called the "EZ-LOTA" and my newest, a World Models Bluebird 2M.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 PM
jmdairplane

started out with a soar birdy then got oly 650 then got a bob martin katie 2 then a coyote wish i still had the bob martin planes they flew great.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Slope Pilot

I have a Ventus 2.9 M, Drifter II, Sterling Diamant Sailplane, Easy Built Models Gremlin, Windrider Bee 2, and House Of Balsa 2X4.
The Ventus is the fanciest of them all, spoilers, retracts, aerotow, ailerons, rudder, andelevator.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

First sailplane was a Sig Riser. Just getting back into the hobby andhave a few to build over the winter:

Sagitta 600
Sagitta 900
Windward
Antares
and the new Riser I just bought.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Roguedog

My very first was an Astroflight ASW-17 wish I still had it.

Was given to me in 1981 with the wings already built and covered. The glass fuse hadnot been worked on at all. Finished it up andI cannot tell how much I enjoyed flying it. It had 11ft wingspan (132in), flat straight wings, and would fly in as little as 5 mphwhere I flew it.We haveanon show breeze every dayin SoCal from the ocean and the place I flyhas a perfect geological shaped cresent moon hill facing the west about 50miles from the ocean. Most days in theafternoon the airfunnels perfectlyfrom the west to eastright up the bowl. Awsome place to fly

Currently have 2 Explorer 2m'sin flying condition that i fly there now.

In the wings are
A Sophisticated Lady with power pod, built,not flyable right now Another NIB
An orginalBob Martin Talon NIB
A Dynaflight version of Bob Martins Talon NIB
An original1 of 100 NIBBob Martin SR-7 Limited Edition signed and numbered #45 by Bob martin himself. This one has the fiberglass fuse instead of the duralene fuse.
Astroflight ASW 15 Plastic Fuseand Plans

I plan to use the SR-7 and ASW-15 fuses to makemolds for reproducing them.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:16 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Back in the day, I flew a Wanderer and Aquila (loved them both). Today I've got my Spirit-100 and Bird-of-Time. Both are good but I truly miss my Aquila.

Dave