Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Shoe Goo and Multiplex Elapor

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Shoe Goo and Multiplex Elapor

Old 10-07-2007, 10:57 AM
elmog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoe Goo and Multiplex Elapor

Just a casual warning about the use of the adhesive "SHOO GOO" on ELAPOR foam used in MULTIPLEX aircraft. I read about what a great product it was to use to glue in servos and such, so I bought a tube and used it glue the servos in on my Easyglider. I know, I know, the manual says to CA them in but I know that the use of CA will tear up the servo pockets pretty bad if those servos ever have to come out. So I used the SHOO GOO and the next morning (after curing all night) I found out how tough that GOO really is! It had sucked in the top surface of the wing over the aileron servo pockets and you could even see where the fuselage was slightly convcave where I used it on the rudd/elev servos. If you're real picky about your glider, I'd suggest a different adhesive on ELAPOR.
There is an upside though. When it came time to take out the servos due to stripped gears, they came out after a bit of prying with minimal damage to the servo pockets. I think that the the use of CA would result in more destruction to the Elapor. By the way, I've never tried using "GOOP" or household silicone and if anyone has, does it have the same effect on ELAPOR? Happy Gliding!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Shoe Goo and Multiplex Elapor

Goop and shoe goo are roughly the same thing, as is E-6000. I've found the key to using it is to use dabs at the corners, vs smearing the whole servo with it, as you can have the same "pucker" on a molded plane due to the shrinkage the glue goes through as it dries.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:17 PM
elmog

I sure didn't figure in the "pucker factor". Next time I will use a lot less, and hopefully, avoid the airframe distortion.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:54 PM
slopemeno

I've found E-6000 to be one of the most useful glues I've ever run into. I started using it when I started flying slope combat back around 1996. I't stays flexible and attached for decades; I built a box for my old Futaba Attact TX in 1997 with coroplast held together with E6000, and it's still together. We found a combat plane a few years ago that had been missing for FOUR years in the brush, but a couple of cycles on the charger and away it went, albeit a bit faded on the bottom. E-6000 is really amazing stuff.

Of course, there are the drawbacks. Back when it first became popular, on of the local fliers repaired a huge gash on an original Zagi with it. Back then Zagi's were polystyrene, not EPP. He said the next morning he got up and picked up the repaired plane and it was mostly "tape and goo.." as the solvent had consumed the EPS foam.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:56 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Next time CA in a piece of balsa or similar. Then use the shoo goo or goop on the balsa.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Leslie Ward

I use hot glue and get excellent results. It only glues what I want. ( dosen't wick into areas I may have to cut loose later )
In fact, I believe the factory uses hot glue on the rudder & elev. servos. One of the wing servos was working loose but I just used a piece of tape to hold it in.
Aloha, Les
Old 10-23-2007, 12:29 PM
waterbug

The hot glue has worked well for me also. It has enough strength to keep the servo in place and comes apart relatively easy. I just put a little on each end over the screw holes of the servo.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 AM
dgwaldo

I've tried a new approach, but I haven't had to test it to see if its worked or not yet. I wrapped blue masking tape around the servo before gluing them to into my Easy Glider. The idea being that when I need to get them out, the tape should rip off the servo and stay attached to the Elapor. This would leave me with just a bit of clean up with with a hobby knife, versus a bunch of elapor coming out with the servo. Has anyone else tried this already? Next time I'll give hot glue a try to, sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dgwaldo

I've tried a new approach, but I haven't had to test it to see if its worked or not yet. I wrapped blue masking tape around the servo before gluing them to into my Easy Glider. The idea being that when I need to get them out, the tape should rip off the servo and stay attached to the Elapor. This would leave me with just a bit of clean up with with a hobby knife, versus a bunch of elapor coming out with the servo. Has anyone else tried this already? Next time I'll give hot glue a try to, sounds like a good idea.
BTDT...make sure you WRAP the tape around the servo. I recently dug out a 16 year old bagged wing glider that I had tried this on (servo bottom covered with masking tape then epoxied into the servo well)...over time the adhesive on the tape had dried out and the servo was loose.

Not sure when/how long it took for the tape to dry out, but better to be safe...you never know how long your EG might be around!

Barry