Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Slope Soaring without a slope

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Slope Soaring without a slope

Old 12-09-2007, 07:47 PM
crashontakeoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slope Soaring without a slope

I was at the beach today and the wind was blowing 10 - 15 mph, and I was thinking that one of those slope planes would stay up for quite a while. Anyone ever done this?

Crash
Old 12-09-2007, 07:53 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Slope Soaring without a slope

You need elevation change- the steeper the better, the more perpendicular to theh wind, the better.

NOW- that being said, are there any tree lines around? Dynamic soaring can be done with a small, sharply defined feature. Look it up on youtube- the amount of performance you can squeeze out of a 60" slope soarer on a small DS spot is amazing.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:31 PM
glover1482

A small, light, manouverable model (like a SpeedWing XT at 4 ounces) can easily slope beach undulations and vegetation lines; also movable concrete parking barriers and rip-rap frequently found at the beach can be "sloped". I've done both.

Fly safe, Glover
Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
seanpcola
My Feedback: (11)

crashontakeoff,

What beach are you refering too? Not much on the east coast, at least in the south and along the gulf.

I have done a (very) little slope flying at the beach here in Pensacola. Absolutely nothing compared to what the guys can do that have REAL slopes like Slopemeno. We had dunes before the last hurricane that were up to, oh, 200 yards long and up to 20 feet high. Can't remember what I flew but it was probably something 2M and RE. A good HL would have probably done the trick. Interesting thing was that after the hurricane the county/state/feds were doing cleanup and built some artificial dunes that were half a mile long and 40-50 feet high but we were not allowed to go up there. I stared at it longingly for weeks thinking what I could do. [:@]
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 PM
kwmtrubrit

Quote from Seanpcola: Interesting thing was that after the hurricane the county/state/feds were doing cleanup and built some artificial dunes that were half a mile long and 40-50 feet high but we were not allowed to go up there. I stared at it longingly for weeks thinking what I could do.

Come on Sean, where's your sense of adventure? They only fine you about $500 for stepping on the man made dune (Bern). Go "Bern fly."

Keith
Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 AM
crashontakeoff

The Beach I am refering to is on the Island Of Puerto Rico, Pinones to be exact. I am a intermediate fan of going to and hanging out on the beach, although I always have a good time spending it with my family. I was just looking for a way to combine my hobby with that time. I have just about everything I need to build the Merliner, has anyony ever heard of it? I have the plans from an older magazine, I think it would be perfect for this application. Lots of trees and rocks, and a sea wall at this beach to answer the earlier question.

Specs: two channel, 34" WS, five oz

Thanks for the feed back.

Crash
Old 12-10-2007, 11:19 AM
slopemeno

How high is the seawall? If its, say 5', an Alula would fly there, So would any handlaunch.

The Alula is made by Michael Richter "Dreamworks" and the handlaunch I'd suggest for a spot like that would be the Seeker, or whatever it's called now from Liftworx. Both are designed with less-than-perfect landing zones in mind.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: crashontakeoff

I was at the beach today and the wind was blowing 10 - 15 mph, and I was thinking that one of those slope planes would stay up for quite a while. Anyone ever done this?

Crash
Virtually all of my slope soaring is over beaches on the North shore of Long Island.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66690.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	823202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80528.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	823203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67290.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	823204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp41466.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	823205   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98263.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	823206  
Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 PM
seanpcola

Wow Ed, I wish I had contacted you before I went out to Long Island. I went there in June and ended up staying for two nights and two days due to a car problem. I was staying on the beach just south of Mauntock Point AND had a truck full of gliders!!!! Would have loved to try some slope stuff after seeing the photos you posted. Gotta prepare better from now on.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:42 PM
seanpcola

ORIGINAL: kwmtrubrit

Quote from Seanpcola: Interesting thing was that after the hurricane the county/state/feds were doing cleanup and built some artificial dunes that were half a mile long and 40-50 feet high but we were not allowed to go up there. I stared at it longingly for weeks thinking what I could do.

Come on Sean, where's your sense of adventure? They only fine you about $500 for stepping on the man made dune (Bern). Go "Bern fly."

Keith

My sense of adventure went with my willingness to p*&^ money away! I learned not to mess with the local bigwigs around here loooong ago.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: kwmtrubrit

Keith
You don't have to go to the top of the slope to fly. the lift is not far off the ground level.

I often fly from the bottom. If the lift is good and you have a plane that you can give a good heave to you can often get it into the lift from the bottom.

Or, put a hook on the plane and use an up-start to get it in the air. a 25 foot launch is likely plenty.

A DLG or hand lanched glider works great!

An Easy glider will work just fine!

Of course, electrics of any kind can be used to get up into the lift. A 10 second burst is more than enough.

Don't worry about getting to the top of the hill. Fly from the bottom and enjoy the ride. Often this gives you a better landing area anyway.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:51 PM
skishing
My Feedback: (8)

If you see gulls doin' it... soaring without flapping their wings, theoretically, you can do it too. the trick will be to find an area owith some lift.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 PM
seanpcola

Hi Ed,

I am sure you are right about where to stand on the slope but in the above referenced situation the "Authorities" would not let anyone near the site anyway.[:@]
Old 12-28-2007, 05:07 PM
cvanscho

Guys, I think the question was "slope soaring WITHOUT A SLOPE?"! Crash, I would say the short answer to your question is, basically, no, you can't fly a slope plane in pure, straight wind. In order for the plane to launch or climb, you need LIFT not WIND. Lift occurs where a solid obstacle causes the wind to lift over it.

Chris