Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

falcon 880

Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM
scratchbuildC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default falcon 880

I have a falcon 880 sailplane ,but the wings need some help, I would like some advice on finishing the wings. is there any way that is better than another.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:27 PM
thermaler
My Feedback: (46)

Default RE: falcon 880

Two of the three 880's I have are balsa over foam with epoxy, I have not received the third one yet. The Flite Lite kit I have is also balsa over foam. The instructions with the Flite Lite kit give new meaning to vauge.
If you are going to have cores cut for a glass skin they will need to be a bit thicker unless you are going to put 1/16" of glass and epoxy on it which will be VERY HEAVY.

Joe
Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM
scratchbuildC
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the replay, the wings are covered with something other than balsa, I think it is obeechi wood. got any ideas
Old 01-24-2008, 07:55 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had several Falcons back in the day...what do you mean by "finishing the wings"? Do you mean cover/paint or do you need to sheet them?

I had one with 1/16" balsa skins that I just Monokoted. They held up fine. The other had Obechi sheeted wings and they were simply stained using some Minwax (dark cherry on the bottom, for visibility) and then top and bottom were sealed using several light coats (sanded/polished between coats with 0000 steel wool) of clear polyurethane.

There is no need to glass them, some people would use silkspan and polyurethane to add some additional strength (and weight), but I never found this necessary.

barry
Old 04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
waltertore

I had 3 - 880's over the years and flew at the secret hill that was Mark Allens home base. He developed the 880 for that hill and the rest is history. It was a real gift being on that hill in the heyday with Mark, Steve Huggs, Ron Van, and later Daryl Perkins. Also the local flyers that just built for themselves developed planes that easily rivaled anything those guys built. It was always a learning experience up there. Over the years, a couple guys glassed the foam cores and also glassed the balsa sheeted wings. The 880 with balast will go pretty darn fast. I had a 1/2 pound of lead and a steel wing rod in one of my glassed over balsa 880's. I flew all 3 of mine till they fell apart on that hill in Sonoma County, Ca. I am now living in central Ohio and getting back into flying and am itching to get another one that is ready to fly. Walter