Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

over 100" sailplane

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:06 PM
jmraa767

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over 100" sailplane

Any glider out there similar to the Spirit 100, that has all the functionality(RES + aileron and flaps) of the Spirit just bigger. That I can build. Because size does matter?
Thanks in advance
Justin

Old 02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: over 100" sailplane

Why not look for a clean, used TD plane? Something like an RnR Genesis or Thermal Millenium, or an F3B Eagle? Planes like this are usually hollow molded or sheeted obechi over foam, and span around 120" or so.

I've managed to pick up a couple like that for very reasonable prices. I recently got a 10-15 year old Ron Vann Spectrum for $100, including the six servos. I picked up my RnR Genesis for $350 with six servos as well, and that plane flew great.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:26 PM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: jmraa767

Any glider out there similar to the Spirit 100, that has all the functionality(RES + aileron and flaps) of the Spirit just bigger. That I can build. Because size does matter?
Thanks in advance
Justin

When you say build, are you thinking of the wood kit? If so, you might consider building an additional center wing panel for the standard wings to plug into. I'd build a single flat center panel about 30" to 35" in length that would accept the standard kit spar joiner. This would increase your wing area and aspect ratio at the same time.

I'd also lengthen the fuselage a bit and add a bit of area to both horizontal and vertical stabs.

This would give you a model in the 3.5 meter range and depending on your "scrap" bin, should cost only slightly more than the basic wood kit.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

You could look at the Sky Bench Aerotech Challenger. 145in span, all wood with RES and flap. Flap could be set up as flaperons with a computer radio.

Saw one of these (I believe flown by the designer) back in the 70's at the Harris Hill L/D contest come in for a spot landing he seemed high but at the last moment he popped full flaps and spoilers and placed that nose right on the 100 point ring. It was one of the most beautiful landings I have ever witnessed. It was not a dork landing but one that put no more stress on the plane than if he placed it there by hand.

Hey take a look.

Mark
Old 02-21-2008, 02:53 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've always liked the Majestic.

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=175

And then there's the Big Bird from Skytech.

Or if you want large and graceful find a way to build a Grand Esprit perhaps with updated airfoil and wing construction.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:35 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmraa767

Thanks in advance
Justin

Having spoilers and flaps is very very unusual except in scale gliders and even there it is not common. If you restrict yourself to a plane designed for spoilers and flaps you will find very few choices. I can't name one that is not a 3M or larger scale glider. My Ventus 2C has spoilers and flaps. I taped over the spoilers.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM
jmraa767

Thanks for all your ideas. I'm still undecided at this moment. I have been contacted by a guy with a Challenger for sale(fibergalss fuse.) that will make a lasting project. But I will probably look at something else in the interim.
Thanks again
Justin