Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

need a beach glider

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:29 PM
3DSAVAGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a beach glider

hey guys i live in florida where wind is always batting around my little electric planes, makin me lose a few of em in the past few months. is there a plane i could get that can deal with this wind and still be pretty aerobatic. i want something with full house controls, not just rudder and elevator. im using spektrum dx6 electronics. id like something with a 2 meter or less wingspan. so...what should i get?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Red hobbies

Default RE: need a beach glider

You kno wut I am thinkin,,, Great Planes Spirit Elite ARF 78.5" u said Full house control but this non-power, throttle set it up for flap control. Get 2M Hi-start or Heavy Duty Hi-start, Launch toward to the wind and u r off to go. Keep in mind, make sure the area field(beach) is clear n away from people. Watch out the several birds fly-by....

I think, bay watch will said "NO R/C FLYIN HERE GUY"...it will make you[&o] or if the Bay Watch say nothin...keep flyin!

dun tell me how I know, that wut I am "Thinking"...hope sum1(rcu guys) will help you something better advise.

Regards,

Steve
Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure I understand your situation. I have questions.

Where are you flying? On the beach? So you are flying your electric planes on the beach?

Is there a hill sufficent for slope soaring? How high? How high are the wind speeds?

Why not slope your electric planes?

You say you are losing your electric planes... how?

Do you want this beach glider to have a motor?

Why full house controls? Most slope gliders are A/E only.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
marktur

If you live near the East Coast of Florida, in Palm Beach/Martin County....

I have sloped a Sophistaced Lady (Goldberg) at the cliffs at Jupiter beach several times. If you go North on A1A past Indian Town Road, there's spots on the right where you can pull off to get to the beach. The beach is built up with Dunes and Sea Grape trees, and there's nice wooden boardwalks that go up and over to the beach. The cliff walls are about 15'+, and with a brisk east seabreeze you can keep it in the air for as long as you want!

It was fun, and you'll spend the whole time flying by yourself and the hotties soaking up the sun on the beach below...trust me, I've flown in many other places with a lot less "eye-candy", so give it a try.

I live in Boynton Beach, and on Sat, I took a ride down to Pompano (Southeast RC). Coming back I took the turnpike and realized that it's only a 20 minute drive from the huge landfill to my house. They fly from there, and I would like to check it out one of these days (soon).

Where do you live?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM
3DSAVAGE

the panhandle
Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
marktur

Ahhhh....the "other" Florida!

Can't you head North and find some hills?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 AM
3DSAVAGE

where are some good hills here in the panhandle? or could i just fly it off the wind at the beach? we have sand dunes about 20 feet high and there's always some wind. would that work? what could i fly with 8-15 mph winds?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
marktur

YES!!!! Go have some fun!
Sounds like the "cliffs" in Juno Beach where I've flown before.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
3DSAVAGE

I will...as soon as i find a glider suited for that. i want somethin aerobatic if i can get one. whats a good glider for this?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:57 PM
SoarLA45

You can get something like a flying wing or delta for small cliff soaring, and if there is good wing blowing, a Dynaflite Talon works well. Also, you can get a middle level slope racer like the Ferox (A friend of mine makes them in Peru, but they ship to nearly all the world). The Ferox is a fiberglass fuse, short winged sloper racer that can attain incredible speed in dives and can fly with gale winds or almost no wind at all...
Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 PM
3DSAVAGE

where can i get one of those feroxes? can i get one or something similar to it on tower? how much do they go for? i really want something with ailerons, but if i cant find one, will the fling 2m work?
Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
SoarLA45

The Ferox goes for about 150 dollars here in Peru, plus shipping charges. You will need four micro metal gear servos and a ddigital radio for flaps. You can get one from a store called HST-Hobbies. I think the phone number is 012224879. Can you find something similar on Tower? I do not think so, but the Wasabi from Soaring USA is quite similar to the Ferox. The Ferox, however has shorter wings, a longer fuse and a less prominent hatch.

Here is the link for the Wasabi : http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=261

The Fling 2M is a great sailplane but I would not boast about its aerobatic potential. I would rather get a faster and better plane which will include flaps and ailerons.

Here are photos of both the Wasabi and the Ferox.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 PM
SoarLA45

The yellow one is the Wasabi and the two others are Feroxes.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
SoarLA45

here they are..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96679.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	934867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88346.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	934868  
Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
3DSAVAGE

ok, flings out of the question, how about a spirit elite? im just a 15 year old kid, i dont got much money, i want a plane for reasonalbly cheap. i already have a dx6 radio and servos from an old plane.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM
SoarLA45

Hey talk to me... Im 13 and I don't even get an allowance. So... You want something cheap... the Elite is an excellent plane, and seeing that you have a six channel computer radio, you can use it on the Spirit. One thing though... The Spirit has excellent air penetration and can reach good speed, but its roll rate is somewhat slow. A smaller and more nimble plane would be better...

Talon: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE622&P=ML

Ninja: http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC63.html

But, I do recommend the Spirit as a slope glider and beginner glider. If you are prepared for the challenge, try something faster. What do you mean "the wind knocks my electrics and breaks them" Do you fly foamies? Or tiny electrics, cause youll need a lot of wind to break an electric...

Well, see ya, and hope you find a plane that suits you.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 PM
marktur

Isn't DX6 for Park Flyers? I think you need more range.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 AM
3DSAVAGE

zagiz, when i said the wind caused me to crash my foamies. i ment that the wind made them highly unstable, and often high wind gusts would pretty much throw my planes to the ground, and they would pretty much shatter on impact.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 PM
SoarLA45

Your radio is a Spektrum DX6... Well, you could use more range. You can buy a longer range receiver. I didnt understand the part about the foamies but now I do. Well, have you decided what plane to get?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:16 PM
marktur

DX7 receivers are not compatible with the DX6 from what I understand....
Old 04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
3DSAVAGE

i can MAKE an antenae have more range. i might make a glider form a dimestore one i have or maybe get a zagi glider. i really dont know. i'll probably get a spirit elite, sig ninja, or i'll make a glider myself
Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

The DX6 is fine for slope soaring a glider. You could get a hand launch/discus launch glider and fly it wherever you can throw it, including the beach. arthobby.com has a nice glider for this, 60" span, ailerons, elevator, rudder - called the hybrid-dl. You need pretty good building skills though. It's about $160 and includes everything you need to fly but radio and glue.