Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

CMPro Discus 2.6m or Multiplex Cularis Sailplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

CMPro Discus 2.6m or Multiplex Cularis Sailplane

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Bfan479
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMPro Discus 2.6m or Multiplex Cularis Sailplane

I plan to get one or the other of these sailplanes and would like anyones input on their experiance with these planes. I have 4 years of RC planes flying experiance but this will be my first sailplane. I'm a good builder and above average sport pilot and don't want to start with something that will be "shelved" in no time! But I haven't worked with EP power as of yet. Thanks...
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CMPro Discus 2.6m or Multiplex Cularis Sailplane

Unless you are dead set on getting a scale ship, go with the Cularis. I have heard much more favorable things about the Multiplex sailplane, than the Discus!

Randy
Old 05-08-2008, 12:24 AM
kwmtrubrit

Do a search on the Cularis on RCUniverse and RCGroups. I think you will find a less than favourable reports on the Cularis.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Bfan479

Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can find some additional info on this planes. I have watched U-Tube videos on each plane and they both looked to perform real well. I think the concern I have with the Cularis is it construction is some type of foam that I'm not familiure with it. I wonder just how much it will take on a hard landing and if it's even repairable. The Discus as far as I can tell wasn't designed for a motor. But the video on U-Tube show one that must have been modified. It really performed well.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Bfan479

Thanks for the info! I do like scale planes in general and I have also heard from a club member that the Multiplex was a real good sailplane. But as I was saying to the other guy, it's constructed with some type of foam that I am not familiure with. So I wonder just how strong it is and how well it will stand up to a hard landing. Also how repairable it is. Both look to perform real well on a few U-Tube videos I came across.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Ranfred Radius

Elepor foam is very tuff(alot tuffer than fibreglass!) In my opinion, you'll get more satisfaction out of the Cularis.. BTW, I have neither plane!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

I fly my Cularis a lot, and I love it. The foam it is made of is called Elapor. It is very durable, and you will need only medium CA to put it together or to repair it. The Discus will definitely not tolerate any abuse and crack on harder landings over time. The Cularis also has 2 ailerons and 2 flaps. You do not need to program all options, but it is a great glider to grow. I would highly recommend you the Cularis!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Bfan479

Thanks again! I read 2 review since the last post on the Discus. Both were positive reviews. One mentioned a electric version but I've serched the net and can't find that version. They seem to be hard to come by. It sound like that foam material is real strong on the Cularis so I will have to give it some thought.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Bfan479

thanks for the info! It sounds like this type of foam is much stronger that I had anticipated. It easy to find a place to buy it un like the CMPro Discus. So I will give it some thought and may go with that one. Does the motor come with the kit? Do you have any recomendations on a good powerful motor? I have not been into the EP as of yet. I did look into a large electric a couple of years ago for my Cessna Skylane. I don't remember the brand but it was a Germany made motor and I read it was a good one.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 PM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

it does not come with a motor. I use the AXI 2820/12 with a Jeti 40A controller and a 12x6 prop and a 3S-2500 lipo. This gives me a 45 degrees climb rate at half throttle with a total motor run time of 6 minutes at least. On a day with thermals, I average at least one hour of flight per battery.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:13 PM
wowie

Elepor foam is the way to go with foam. This stuff is increibley durable and will forgive those less than perfect landings. It's easy to repair and is used on the Easy Star which is a trainer plane and we all know how much abuse trainers take. Don't worry about the Elepor foam and once you see how it performes you'll be very impressed. Great stuff. I just wish more planes came made out of this stuff.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Ranfred Radius

ORIGINAL: wowie

I just wish more planes came made out of this stuff.
Just wait, They'll come!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:40 AM
katarinaconnors

A big factor is the cost as the Cularis (cloud) costs about twice what the discus costs. Multiplex gets way too much for their power package so make up your own and save. The foam will last thru some terrible stuff but you don't really have much to be proud of to start with. I use the EZ Stars as a mule for my fpv projects and it is tough and cheap.. But again not much model wise.. The CMPro gliders are bottom end glass. But you can buy 2 from Nitro for the price of one Cularis.. It come down to German foam or chinese glass and balsa.. My money is on the discus.. A good glider can be made by using a easy glider wing on the Easy Star fuse, By the way stay away from the CM ventus the onw with the retract and spoilers... A mess and it has some bad if not unworkable flight issues.