Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

cularis and thermaling

Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: cularis and thermaling

ORIGINAL: Zagiz

Great comparison, aeajr. I would have thought the same between my two laptops: one is much fater but the other one has much more storage space. I didnt know about the hot towel trick with the Elapor foam, but It seems to me Elapor is a very innovative and useful material.
Hot towel? Oh, you mean Elapor soup.

These are ways to fix/repair Elapor to get it back into shape. Works real well. Ask me how I know.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 PM
hannie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I agree you can't beat the price of the cularis. I recieved my cularis acouple of days ago. it took me a couple of nights to put together. I was very impressed with the kit. very easy to put together. Alot more substantial then the easyglider kit. Wether it will fly thats another story. I hope to do the maiden flight this friday. Thanks again HANNIE
Old 05-28-2008, 06:39 PM
elmog

The Cularis does have one definite advantage over the $1500 hollow-molded planes....it's very quick to repair at the field with some CA and Kicker. Ever see a guy field repair one of those expen$ive jobs? I have yet to see somone break out carbor fiber, resin, mixing cups etc.. and do a quick field repair and toss it back out in 15 minutes. True, the Cularis won't match the ultimate performance of the high-end gliders, but how many of us really need that performance edge? The highly skilled competition guys have a legitimate reason for buying the best because they want to win and can utilize all the performance that the hollow-molded planes offer. For the other 90% of us the Cularis allows us to refine our thermalling skills at 1/5 to 1/10 the cost. And Elapor does not have a problem with Spektrum radio systems. There's a place for every glider out there and if you have the $$$ go ahead and treat yourself to the very best. If your just a normal working stiff or retired and on a limited budget, buy the Cularis and enjoy catching thermals and even smiling after a few botched landings. Jim
Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 PM
astroboycp

Yes indeed elapor is very much easier to repair as compared to fibreglass hull.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
astroboycp

Those days when I was flying foam planes, I always have either 5min Epoxy or CA on hand in case of a crash.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I read a report a week ago from a very experienced contest pilot, who normally flies a Supra. He used a Cularis to fly one of the 30 minute flights he needs for an achievement program he is following. He reported that the palne flew very well.

Now, he only did this as a project, he is not going to put his Supra or any of his other molded planes in storage, but he was quite pleased with the Cularis.

For first time gider pilots I have suggested the Eash Glider with great success.

For new full house glider pilots on a budget, the cularis seems to be a great choice.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:58 AM
wowie

I've heard that the Easy Glider has been redisigned with some nice modifications to aid in performance and handling. I don't konw exactly what the mods and performance upgrades were so I can't comment on that. But I do know that the Easy Glidder as it was, was a very fine ship. So if Multiplex lives up to their reputation of design excellency and innovation, the new and improved version should prove to be another winner. I'm looking forward to either reading about it here at RCU or by seeing one perform first hand.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:26 AM
wowie

Here's some info from a UK website: http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...6296&CatID=423, describing a new V-tail hotliner called the "Blizzard" from Multiplex. And yes it's made out of the fabulous material Elapor. It's not available in the USA just yet but should be soon. After seeing and reading the article about the new "Blizzard" from Multiplex, I already want one. Keep your eyes open for this one because it's sure to find it's nitch here in the USA. It should prove interesting to watch Multiplex over the next couple of years as they bring more and more planes online made out of Elapor.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 AM
SoarLA45

I think the Multiplex Blizzard is on the New Arrivals or Coming Soon list on Towerhobbies.

Here is a link for all of you want to see the Blizzard:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUTV3&P=7

They will have it in stock in August
Old 05-29-2008, 08:48 PM
elmog

$180 dollars, eh? That getting close to a Destiny. I think I would rather have a Destiny if I'm going to pay nearly $200 dollars after taxes and shipping. I usually only fly unpowered slope planes anyways.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 PM
SoarLA45

Destiny?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 PM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

ORIGINAL: elmog

$180 dollars, eh? That getting close to a Destiny. I think I would rather have a Destiny if I'm going to pay nearly $200 dollars after taxes and shipping. I usually only fly unpowered slope planes anyways.
the destiny is a great little slope glider. But the Cularis has a 102" wingspan, flaps, you can add an electric motor, you can fly it at the slope and on flat land, etc. What I mean is that I do not negate elmog's comment, I would just not compare a Destiny with a Cularis since they are very different in many aspects
Old 05-29-2008, 10:11 PM
astroboycp

I heard from the LHS that the new Easy Glider Pro Version have been designed to take on outrunner motors. Previously, we have to do our own mod inorder to put a outrunner motor onto the Easy Glider. As for other improvements, I am not too sure about that as the motor parts was all I heard.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:32 PM
elmog

joedoe-

I was comparing the Destiny to the Blizzard mentioned above, not the Cularis. I just think that they are asking too much $$$ for the Blizzard, but others might see it as a steal. To each his own.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:35 PM
SoarLA45

I think the pricing on the Blizzard might be all right but I would like to see some technical info on Tower hobbies before I consider buying one. It does look like a nice foam warm-liner. I hope its quality is as good and it is as reliable as most Multiplex products.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 PM
astroboycp

I am getting the cularis soon. Initially wanted to order the ASW28 but since the vendor has got problems I decided to cancel it.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:17 PM
walkermsg

I believe the Cularis comes with a tow hook if you buy the non-electric model. I have the Easy Glider and use regular spray paint on it which would disolve styrofoam. Also if your radio supports crow-butterfly operation landing is very short for a plane like the Cularis, almost like dropping a stone if you apply it full on without using the slide cotrol ,on the Optic 6.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
kris1

I have a Cularis and very good it is to. I have a 12 x 6 prop and although the climb is not fast it does get to height relatively easily. On the first few fight I had not setup the radio other than to setup the trim, and test fly it. But here is were the Cularis really scores. It has a four-servo wing so you can program in camber settings to the wing. This makes a whole world of difference to the thermaling, slope and higher wind performance. So I would say that is more of a multi task trainer. I bought it as I fly from some very rough fields, which would destroy a moulded glider. IMO Worth ever penny

Cheers

Kris
Old 08-18-2008, 04:51 PM
SoarLA45

This discussion is progressing very well. However, there is a new thread on the blizzard, if anyone has comments on it.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 AM
kris1

Yeah read mine

Cheers

kris
Old 08-19-2008, 08:09 AM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a Cularis, I do have an Easy Glider. I also have sailplanes that are in the $600 to $1200 range.

There is no question that the high priced bagged wing and molded wing planes fly better, but at 5 to 10 times the price, they don't fly 5 to 10 times better.

So there is absolute performance, and there is value. The Easy Glider and the Cularis are value planes. For what they cost, they deliver a great deal. They do not compete with the high end planes and so should not be compared to them either.

My Ford Taurus Crossover doesn't compare to a Porche in performance, but the Porche won't haul my planes, equipment, batteries winch and retriver to the field for me either. So the Taurus is a better value for me, even though it is lower performance compared to the Porche.
My thoughts exactly.....
Only that you managed to put it in words much better than I would have....

People sometimes tend to "diss" these planes, because they are made of foam, instead of glass, carbon & kevlar. but as you said, they do deliver an exceptional value.
Also, as we all know, a great part of the performance of any radio controlled model sailplane is in the hands of the pilot, and not in the airframe. Spending $1k or more on the airframe does not guarantee exceptional performance....

Most of us weekend fliers ( myself included ) probably don't have the skills to really get the performance from a high end model of which it is capable.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 PM
elmog

quote:
My Ford Taurus Crossover doesn't compare to a Porche in performance, but the Porche won't haul my planes, equipment, batteries winch and retriver to the field for me either. So the Taurus is a better value for me, even though it is lower performance compared to the Porche.

Ever heard of a Porsche Cayenne? It'll haul your planes, winch etc., and get you to flying field first!

There is one down side to the Cularis if you plan to slope soar with it and land in rough areas. A buddy of mine had a hard landing with his Cularis and cracked one of the plastic wing joiner tubes where it attaches to the center section. Very hard to repair.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 PM
tkilwein

The Cularis I have is great in the wind, 40mph+ so far.
Glides nice, only thing on mine is when you use ailerons in a very tight turn with low speed she stalls easy but I think it is by design.
It wants to fly with some speed. I am by no means a thermal reader but I had mine up for 20+ minutes and had to spiral down to get back down one day.
Best flight I had so far. It is a KEEPER!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM
rcpilotny

I am very impressed with the cularis at thermaling, was thinking of getting a carbon sailplane but this is one tough/good 103" plane for thermaling and wind, may just get another cularis..
Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 PM
roknHS

As reported above, the only bad habit is the tip stall. If you get it low and slow on final and try a turn, it will bite you in the ass..........guaranteed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.