Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

spoilers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 12:13 PM
00hex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spoilers?

They are flaps that stick up from the top of the wing. They reduce lift & increase drag. They allow the plane to descend at a steeper angle while landing.
R/C planes with spoilers are usually sailplanes. Full size jets use them too though. If you get a seat near the wing it's often quite easy to see them while the plane is landing; they stick up at quite a steep angle.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:21 PM
Ron Kay
My Feedback: (3)

Default spoilers?

I've got a question for you regarding spoilers...

I have a 3M F3B Genesis that I've been flying for the last several months. Unfortunately the filed where I fly is rough. On a typical approach I'll drop the flaps on final and line up for the landing. Just before contact I'll try to retract the flaps. If I don't, the rough terrain will do damage to either the flap or more likely the servo. I've replace the gears many time because of poor timing on my part. In any event, here is the question. I was thinking about installing spoiler(s) for use on this field. Any idea of the dimensions or most favorable location for the addition of a spoiler on the wing. Oh yes, it's an SD7032 foil.

The configuration and location of the servo makes it push the linkage to drop the flaps. I did think about installing some sort of spring or something similar to take the shock, but short of a major redesign I don't this is possible.

I look forward to you input on this issue...

Regards and good flying,
Ron[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2002, 10:09 AM
b1rd37

Default spoilers?

Ron Kay

Mon October 21, 2002 05:21 PM

I've got a question for you regarding spoilers...

I have a 3M F3B Genesis that I've been flying for the last several months. Unfortunately the filed where I fly is rough. On a typical approach I'll drop the flaps on final and line up for the landing. Just before contact I'll try to retract the flaps. If I don't, the rough terrain will do damage to either the flap or more likely the servo. I've replace the gears many time because of poor timing on my part. In any event, here is the question. I was thinking about installing spoiler(s) for use on this field. Any idea of the dimensions or most favorable location for the addition of a spoiler on the wing. Oh yes, it's an SD7032 foil.

The configuration and location of the servo makes it push the linkage to drop the flaps. I did think about installing some sort of spring or something similar to take the shock, but short of a major redesign I don't this is possible.

I look forward to you input on this issue...

Regards and good flying,
Ron

I believe DUBRO has a product called "SERVO SAVER" that has a spring on the control rod that will compress if the flaps strick the ground, saving the

Jerry

PS. The F9F had "flaporons", (spoiiers) instead of ailorens. I believe the "BUF" had the same lateral control system.

Jerry
Old 10-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Ron Kay

Default spoilers?

Jerry,

Thanks for the information. I looked at DuBro and the mechanism is just too light to handle the load induced when flaps are fully deployed.

Flaporons are great but the same problem exist when deployed...

Any idea of the basic design/dimensions for a spoilers? I think that may ultimately be the solution other then improving my flying technique..

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Ron[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2002, 11:45 AM
3 Channel Brain

Default spoilers?

I have a great planes Spirit 2m & the Spoilers start 11" out from wing cl & are 6.5 " long x1.5'
wide . the leading edge starts on top of the main spar for support & is hinged with covering matl. I havent hooked them up but they are activated buy an elevator horn that is canted about 45 forward & pulled up by fishline led thru plastic tube so as to pull straight aft ...closure is by 2 small stick on lead weights on each spoiler.

Luck
Bill Teller
Old 10-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Ron Kay

Default spoilers?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Bill,

Thanks for the information. Is that the Spirit Elite you're talking about? I was just reading about it in QF and it looks like a great ship. How does it handle? Been thinking about building a 2m Sagitta900 with foam core wings and glass fuselage, RES. It was a great flyer in the 70's.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Regards,
Ron
Old 10-28-2002, 12:24 PM
3 Channel Brain

Default spoilers?

Nope just Spirit ( no ailerons) I am new to RC but I suspect that ailerons would really help it it seems to
have a nice flat glide but could turn better..It took about 2oz up front to balance .