Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

CMPro Ventus- 2HX 2600mm

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CMPro Ventus- 2HX 2600mm

I just bought this one - Flying Dream 5~6 Channel ASH-26 2600mm from nitroplanes

Looks pretty much the same as the ventus in the picture you got from the same company. My First Scale Glider as well - Cant wait. Maybe show-up Friday or next Monday. Im sure I'll have to make some improvements but you just cant pass this up. I've been wanting a Scale forever and after watching my Radio Carbon Art / Scale Aerotowing DVD. I bought the glider.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47624.jpg
Views:	4126
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1354878  
Old 01-13-2010, 02:04 PM
pl365322

Just an advice, before starting building, take a care look to all threads of the plane and even on ASW 28 , Discus and DG100 (which I built but not flew yet, it is winter and snowing here !). There is plenty of good advice on RCGroup thread.One first thing anyway, forget about the spoilers and retract. They are of bad quality ! Spoilers are opening on their own in flight and retract is nice on the ground but useless, landing...Save weight ! And use turbulator on wings and stab. See the thread mentioned before.
Have fun, it takes time to read but it is worth !
Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 PM
jw637362

pl365322 - thanks for the advice. I have searched for threads on this particular plane and could not find anything except for the model. Not the manufacturer.
Could you post a link or 2 of what you have seen so I could take a look.
Where did you see this
Spoilers are opening on their own in flight and retract is nice on the ground but useless
Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you
Old 01-14-2010, 08:28 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

There's what looks like play in the mechanisim. If the rod isn't moved all the way out then the spoiler isn't locked and will get sucked out in flight by the airflow over the wing.

I make sure they lock down but don't mess with them much. I need to get after it and put a servo in the center or a micro in each wing and be done with it. There's tree lines at our field that make having operational spoilers desireable.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM
jw637362

Excellent - Ill make note. Looking to be here tomorrow. Hope to have it built and flying early next week. I see how that could be an issue in flight[X(]
Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have mine almost ready for flight. I got burned out after our attempts to tow my brothers up was not to successful. We did get 3 flights that day. The video is of the second flight. The plane was better off then it looks in the vid.

We now have a different type of launch setup and am getting ready to try again. The kit over all is a great kit. I used the lightest servo I would trust for the elevator. That way I used less nose weight.

I too used a brass tube the size of the hole in the nose to route the tow release through. I used clay and BB for ballast. I could pack it around and mold it to fit.

The air brake setup is the weak link. I tore out the mechanical setup and put a servo in the middle of the fuse with ball links. It was able to pull them down and lift without a problem. I have the air brakes on the throttle stick so I can add a little at a time. I am also mixing elevator to air brake. I have read that when they deploy the plane slams down. I have about 10% up elevator mixed in. I also have the flaperons in case I need a little flap.

I am using Airtronics 94091 servos for the elevator, ailerons, HS-81MGs for retract, tow release, and a HS-56 for air brake. I did not use foam tape to mount the ailerons servos. I made up servo mounts out of lite ply and 3/8" square hardwood. I then epoxied the mounts into the wing. That way I can pull the servo without destroying the wing.

There were three things wrong with our attempted flights. First is that it was windy. It was well over 25 mph and a little gusty. That was our 3rd attempt, and the tow plane was a little under powered. The weight of the Ventus was real close to the tow plane. The ventus would actually pull the tow plane in a turn. It would also slow the tow plane down to the point of stall.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWpUmOSSDtQ[/youtube]

We will try again with my Ventus.

Dru.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 PM
pl365322

I have reed that in in recent test of the Discus CS Jamara but the Terran fuselage in a French magazine (Modele Magazine)....The spoilers and landing device are the same on all CmPro gliders. I have the Discus CS and the DG1000, both EP version. As I did want to ad spolers in both of them, I ordered to HobbyKing a pair of those. Soon I had them in hand, I realise the problems I read about them.Poor plastic quality and a lot sloppy. That's why I decide to modify the wings to install very tiny nicely made electrical spoilers, re-placed them scalewise on the wings of the DG (see pictures on RCgroup thread DG1000 2.6 meter - Page 45- #661/662 or Rcgroup -Scale sailplane -questions- Electric spoilers - thread #10). No hassle of servo, links and set-up... Their position should be out of the stream of the stab and behind the CP of the profile (as the full scale). Browse the threads and you will find lots of good infos. It is worth doing so..........

Keep in touch.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 PM
jw637362

Well I'm a little bummed, installing servos and looking at the Air Brakes etc. Come to realize they never sent the Mechanism that mounts to the wood back section to actuate the airbrakes. The White plastic piece that the airbrake rods plug into.[&o]

Figures. I'm dead in the water. See what Nitroplanes.com has too say.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Cory2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to install a towhook for a high start winch or bungee. The 10mm in front of the center of gravity is rightin the middlethe wheel retract doors. I was thinking of putting 2 towhooks just to the left and right of the doors and then use a "Y" type of connection that ends with2 rings.

Ithought about doing away with the retract wheel and installing the towhook on the cross brace just above where the wheel was. Ican remove the excess wheels struts to allow room for the high start ring connection. When the gear locks it wont put stress on the servo just as it does not with a hard landing. I'd rather not go this route and just do away with the extra wieght if the double tow hooks works.

If I'm gong to do away with the landing gear completely then Ican glue the gear doors shut and add some glass for support and use one tow hook.

so far the 2 towhook idea gives me the most options if Iwnt to change things around with out too much hassle and haveing to get a new set of doors.

any suggestions or experiences with this would be apreciated. thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
T2p2

Nitroplanes offers a power pod that takes in 50 to 70mm EDFs. I just got my Ventus today, including the p EDF pod.

-T2p2
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 AM
davidj

need pics
Old 03-17-2011, 10:52 PM

Hi Discus owners, to say I was disappointed with my first flight is an understatement. I followed the instuctions to the last page, cg correct, surface movements etc and headed off to our local slope. I have a 6.25 meter ASW22 and have flown it a number of times off the same slope. I launched my new baby into the breeze and it went up like a homesick Angel! Then the drama set in, I tried to turn right with the ailerons and it wouldn't respond, so I turned left and it turned and drooped its nose at about 45 degrees, pulled a little elevator and it recovered but now was heading downwind to the left of where our landing zone was and dissapeared out of sight into a wooded area. Oh well I thought, radio problems, cg too far back or what. I trudged off down the hill to find my baby nestled in waist high grass in a gap in the trees about 4 meters wide. Not a scratch,Ok, I got me a "lucky Discus", phew. Back on top of the slope I checked everything, travels were good under load (holding the ailerons while twiddling the sticks),so what was the problem. I stepped back and took a long hard look at this "monster". Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, NODIHEDRAL! It didn't look right, so it wouldn't fly right!!
I had to go towork so I packed up and later at home I decided to sort this problem out. I used a tracing comb toolto copy the shape of the fuz wherethe wing joiner goes through. I made a 6mmply former too match, cut a 2 degree slot 4mm deep on either side of the centre to give medihedral, then epoxied a matchingformer to give me"a joiner slot", noeffort at all andafter cutting the Carbon joiner in half, I assembled the wings onto the fuz, andhey pesto, it now looked like a scale glider,not a racing plane.
Of course the proof would bein how itflies, and I haveto say, it now flies beautifully, I love it.
Everyyear the South African Scale glider pilotsget together at the end of April at a Central slope and spend time flying our scale aircraft. If the wind dont blow, we dont fly, so I decided to electrify my Discus. I had a EFlight Park 480lying around, so I made up a test mount, 3 cell 1700 lipo, 40 amp ESC, 13 x 7.5 folder and switched on, phew, I couldn't wait to put it in the plane. I marked off wherethe firewall would have to be go and made the cut. With everything installed I headed to our local schoolyard. The spinnerfrom the folding prop almost matched the shape of the noseI had cut offso when theprop folded back, it looked normal ( I just have to paint it white). I took a run, opened the throttle and the Discuss climbed out of my hand at a very respectable angle. To cut a long story short, I now have a very useful aircraft that I am so chuffed with,so do the dihedral modand you will be so much happier.
One other thing, the airbrake position is so wrong on the Ventus, seal them up, and dial in 5 mm ofup aileron(half Butterfly) and it will land just as easy!
Have fun, fly safe
Russ
Old 04-30-2011, 01:22 AM
pl365322

ORIGINAL: Military Planes

Hey Andy,

How did you remedy the spoilers? I saw that a couple people tried a rubber band to aid the retraction side of things, which seemed to work. I think I'll be ditching the spoiler mech in the fuse and replacing it with a single servo mounted up above the wing tube and connect it directly to the spoilers.

Where did you move the retrat position too? and was it for a scale reason or functionality?

Cheers,

Chilli
Hi guys.
Yes, kit spoilers are no good and on the wrong position. Take a look at the forum DG-1000 post #6. I re-position the electrical spoilers where they should be scale-wise on the Fly-Fly/Jamara DG.
You should be able to do the same on the Discus/Ventus (I'll be doing that soon as landing are much easyer then without, I use ailerons up for now).
Remember, building is as fun as flying.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 AM
blvdbuzzard

Well I was able to get another 5 flights on this HEAVY pig of a glider. She is no thermal plane for sure. We have a glider tug take her up and she does look good in the air. She flies very fast. She does not thermal very well, just to much of a pig. Had a great time flying it around so to me she is worth it. She looks so dang good in the air.

Buzz.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:53 PM
pl365322

Ok Buzz. As I am on vacation and weather is decent here in Belgium, I'll fly mine as well.
By the way, mine is not that heavy at around 1.3kg. And with all the mod she is thermaling pretty good...
I'll up-date you after few more flights.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 AM
gradiz

I only flew my Ventus once, off the slope. It dived so much I couldn't hold it and it smashed into the slope giving indication of too nose heavy. Are you guys flying with the CG position as the instructions?[]
Old 08-29-2011, 03:09 AM
pl365322

Absolutely not. Almost all of CG location from Fly-fly are wrong. If you read the full tread of Ventus, Discus or DG1000, it is worth doing so. Any way, CG location is as far as 70 mm. Between 50/55 to 70 mm from LE. All depend of how you like it, easy or tichy. Go to the post, you'll found your happiness.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have my CG at 51mm and it hold level pretty well.

I may try to put her on a diet to loose some weight. Mine weighs in at 3 pounds 6 ounces or about 1.5kg. I do have the retract, tow release, air brakes installed. Mine does not slow down for anything. She flies fast, looks good doing it, but does not do it for long. She gets down in a hurry. Could be just me. I will find out next fly session.

Buzz.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:09 AM
pl365322

Hi Buzz.

Sorry but I re-weighted mine and, with 2.2mAh 3S Turnigy pack, she is @1.7 kg.

If you put turbulator on wing and stab , you will transform the thermal performance.
I also put gurney flaps and shim the back of the stab by 1.5 mm which I still have to fly (may be today).

Happy fly.

Philippe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57819.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1655084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm82939.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1655085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz53876.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1655086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx81121.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1655087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf67400.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1655088  
Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 AM
BarracudaHockey

The spoilers are worthless, remove them, the servo, and all associated hardware.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:34 PM
blvdbuzzard

I am in the process of removing the crash brakes and all that goes with it.

I will try to turb strips and add just a touch of flap to the wings. I know the flaps help this plane fly a lot better. I saw a few tube vids on them.

It will be about a month for the next flight session so I have time to make changes and see if I can keep this pig in the air.

I am looking at an art hobbies Orion. I think this will add to our glider flying pretty well.

http://www.arthobby.com/index.php?pa...ry=32&item=381

Buzz.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Warbirdsforever
My Feedback: (4)

I have owned 3 of these.. And have been trying to work it out. Just so tempting. . Spoilers are cute but won't lock down and get sucked up in flight.. Plus this glides like a rock so no idea why spoilers would be used. Retract actually works but won't take much and the doors won't last at all. My last one I cut the wings and made permanent flaps to the ails. Using an exacto and straight edge. Airfoil is wrong. These guys havent figured out that you cant just scale down an airfoil. Left the spoilers in the box and don't even think about looking for thermals. All the Chinese stuff is way to heavy to fly well and snaps if much below terminal velocity. I have an older Graupner LS-8 2.6 that really works, too bad they don't make it anymore. All the stuff out of the orient glides like your flight box with tiny wings. Also I fly a graupner 3.1 Ventus made 20 years ago or more that is lovely.so it can be done but not for $100, still got a 4 m Discus and Grob in the box ... Thank goodness as none of the current Chines stuff is good for anything unless you live you live next to Torre Pines.. So sad. Old post I know but these thing are still on the market without improvement.
Want to fly buy a S. Lady from Goldgerg or make a pretty display model out of the Chinese junk. Better yet Check out Icare Sailplanes up in Canada.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Warbirdsforever
My Feedback: (4)

I have owned 3 of these.. And have been trying to work it out. Just so tempting. . Spoilers are cute but won't lock down and get sucked up in flight.. Plus this glides like a rock so no idea why spoilers would be used. Retract actually works but won't take much and the doors won't last at all. My last one I cut the wings and made permanent flaps to the ails. Using an exacto and straight edge. Airfoil is wrong. These guys havent figured out that you cant just scale down an airfoil. Left the spoilers in the box and don't even think about looking for thermals. All the Chinese stuff is way to heavy to fly well and snaps if much below terminal velocity. I have an older Graupner LS-8 2.6 that really works, too bad they don't make it anymore. All the stuff out of the orient glides like your flight box with tiny wings. Also I fly a graupner 3.1 Ventus made 20 years ago or more that is lovely.so it can be done but not for $100, still got a 4 m Discus and Grob in the box ... Thank goodness as none of the current Chines stuff is good for anything unless you live you live next to Torre Pines.. So sad. Old post I know but these thing are still on the market without improvement.
Want to fly buy a S. Lady from Goldgerg or make a pretty display model out of the Chinese junk. Better yet Check out Icare Sailplanes up in Canada.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got one too, had to rework the landing gear - very flimsy and thrown out the spoilers and the central spoiler deploying mechanism - placed a servo in it's place with a " hook in" mechanism. The original spoilers is horrible and was not retracting properly - one stayed out.
Otherwise it is a nice glider.
Cheers
Bundu
Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 PM
BarracudaHockey

Dont bother, rip the whole spoiler mechanisim out and throw it all in the trash.

They are too far inboard and block airflow to the elevator when deployed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.