Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

CMPro Ventus- 2HX 2600mm

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
lanpc
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMPro Ventus- 2HX 2600mm

Anyone build and fly this ARF yet? Tell us about it. Construction. Instructions. Does the retract wheel look like its going to last? How does it fly? Did you Hi-Start, Winch, or Aero-tow launch it?

Thanks

Patrick
Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 AM
colmo-RCU

Default RE: CMPro Ventus- 2HX 2600mm

I just recieved mine, it looks very nice, but the landing gear does look a little week. Im thinking about copying it in aluminum as the mechanism is really pretty, but the plastic, well, it´s chinese. The joiner rod came all warped, so i might get a new stronger one, as this one bends with the hands. The speed brakes look really cool and move smoothly. Ill let you know more as it happens
Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 PM
jetset1968

I am interested in installing a power pod with a brushless motor on this aircraft....anyone have any ideas of where to get one OR how to make one??
Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Mine is on order, should be here Saturday. Ironically, I'll be out aero-towing that day.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 PM
pitviper51

there is a great build here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875336

i should get mine mid next week, the plan is to tow with kmp husky, and a friends mothership carrier.. not sure on histarting.. will see how much room is on the fuse.. i couldnt pass it up for a first scale glider.
mike
Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 AM
colmo-RCU

I flew mine on Monday after 2 days assembly and I have to say it`s the best glider I`ve had. It flies super fast and slows farely well for landing. I towed it and went up pretty fast. The tow plane pilot stopped climbing and the glider passed the towploane so we had to disengage at about 50 ft. The gliding angle is amazingly flat, so landing was a bit tricky. I used the fantastic gear without a door because I was afraid to break it on landing in our grass strip. The only thing that really sucked was the spoilers, they deffinitly dont deploy because of the slop and resistance of the mechanism, even with the highest torque micro I have (53 oz).

Definitely, the best 140 bucks I`ve ever spent. And also the only chinese plane I have owned that I would ever recommend
Old 08-28-2008, 01:57 PM
colmo-RCU

These are of the first flight, unfortunately actual flight pics are no good. Hope you like them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86549.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1021163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79150.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1021164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65756.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1021165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37139.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1021166  
Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 AM
mariocast

I would like to know if this plane can be launched with Hi Start ... any suggestions?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 AM
BarracudaHockey

Yes.

Locate a tow hook 10mm or so infront of the CG

Lanpc did it with one.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM
gradiz

Re CMPro Ventus: Just got mine looks great but I can't find a RX battery that fits without blocking the tow release. Any ideas??
Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 AM
BarracudaHockey

I took a 4 cell flat pack and it fit.

To ballast the front, and provide a guide for the tow line, I epoxied (I used EPO GRIP MODEL MATRIX) a brass tube, the same diameter of the tow line hole, into the nose and it extends into the nose about 2"

Then I took lead buck shot and mixed it with epoxy and filled in around the tube all the way up in the nose so as to get the weight as far forward as possible.

Then a 4 cell flat pack will slip up into the nose.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Military Planes

Hi all,

Like PitViper I too couldn't go past this for my first scalish glider. However, after reading the rcgroups thread it seems to have a few issues, namely the retract, spoilers and weight.... What is the consensus here? Personally, for the price I think it's great and can't wait to get it up flying (aerotowing). Also what servos are people using??

Cheers.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Yes.

Locate a tow hook 10mm or so infront of the CG

Lanpc did it with one.
With a standard high start or the larger one? (Hosemonster?)
Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 AM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: Military Planes

Hi all,

Like PitViper I too couldn't go past this for my first scalish glider. However, after reading the rcgroups thread it seems to have a few issues, namely the retract, spoilers and weight.... What is the consensus here? Personally, for the price I think it's great and can't wait to get it up flying (aerotowing). Also what servos are people using??

Cheers.
Spoilers suck, they need work.
Retract:I've had numerous runway takeoffs and landings w/o any retract issue other than the measurement in the manual is way off.
Servos, hs81MG I think.
Weight, its a bit heavy and flys a bit faster than a wide chord thermal ship and since its fast it doesn't react to lift like a regular sailplane so you need to have an idea where to go to get a good flight. There's times Ibeat the tow plane down but lately I've had a couple of really good flights.

I think rebuilding the tail feathers so they are built up would get rid of quite a bit of weight in the front.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Military Planes

Hey Andy,

How did you remedy the spoilers? I saw that a couple people tried a rubber band to aid the retraction side of things, which seemed to work. I think I'll be ditching the spoiler mech in the fuse and replacing it with a single servo mounted up above the wing tube and connect it directly to the spoilers.

Where did you move the retrat position too? and was it for a scale reason or functionality?

Cheers,

Chilli
Old 06-02-2009, 05:14 PM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: Military Planes

Hey Andy,

How did you remedy the spoilers? I saw that a couple people tried a rubber band to aid the retraction side of things, which seemed to work. I think I'll be ditching the spoiler mech in the fuse and replacing it with a single servo mounted up above the wing tube and connect it directly to the spoilers.

Where did you move the retrat position too? and was it for a scale reason or functionality?

Cheers,

Chilli

I dont use the spoilers but I was thinking of something similar, maybe ball links with the servo in the middle. I tried the rubber band to pull them closed but they wont open (not even a really strong rubber band). The rods move maybe a 1/4" or so from full closed before they start to move the spoiler, well I figured I'd adjust the linkage to account for that and they seemed to work perfect.........right until I took off when the airstream sucked them out and I had a rather exciting and quick flight at full spoiler. If the rods aren't bottomed out, they aren't locked down. I just land without them but I have a good amount of room and I'm a decent pilot.

When speaking of the retract the measurement for the linkage rod was way off and it wouldn't even come close to making the doors operate, it was off by something like 10mm or more if I remember (it's been a while)

Name:	Bz79517.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	1210827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92000.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1210828  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
zippidydoodah

I just received mine in the mail. It's heavy, but I like the airplane...and it was on sale.
All the talk about problems with the spoilers means I'm just not going to open the wing and install them...save a little weight with the associated gear and servo, less drag, too. Tons of RC gliders without spoilers andnot many beating down the doors for spoilers. Not much sense in cutesy spoilers if they dont work.
I don't like thelooks of the spoilers retracted anyway.
I'll just fix it so whenI lower the gear, it drops an anchor.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:40 PM
zippidydoodah

I was too quick to dismiss the spoiler mechanism until I took a look at what problems could potentially be ironed out.
On further examination I found the spoiler mechanism in the airplane to be not deploying full range so I took the unit out and smoothed out  all 3 raceways. The unit is bolted in with 4 bolts into mounted nuts and one of the nuts was not installed but 3 is sufficient.
After installation of the unit, the wings with spoilers in place, the spoilers deploy and retract effortlessly at about eye blink speed using  a Hobbico CS-12 micro servo of about 36 in/oz. I used Dubro quick links and just didn't bother with the 'bend, fold, and mutilate' linkage included; just straight rods with a threaded link on one end and in the case of the servo push rod a soldered quick link at the other end.

I really think the spoilers and deployment mechanism and retract units are great, it took a bit of work to design and build just for a model airplane. I've been building and flying since the fifties and I'm familiar with the plastic molding business. Believe me,  I appreciate the stuff on the market now. I covered the spoilers with white monocote.

I need to get hold of Nitro as one of the wing tips is kind of screwed up. Anyone know how to do this?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:39 PM
BarracudaHockey

Send a PM to Nitrostaff1 Thats John from Nitroplanes.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 AM
gradiz

Am I unlucky with my Ventus? They claim weight to be 1200g-1300 g, mine weighs 1500g then I have to add 250g of lead to make it balance. The airbrakes have so much play in them they are very difficult to set up evenly. I have a friend who claims his Ventus tipstalls, glides like a brick and is not a patch on the CMPro Discus. I just hope the enthusiastic reviews on this site are right and he is wrong, I am going to try it out on the slope first.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:41 PM
zippidydoodah

It's heavy and my thoughts are that it's going to need a tow to altitude and good thermal weather to stay up.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM
simonw

Hi can you help please, i have got a CM pro 2600MM same as you. but mine does not fly. First flight was not good it all went very wrong.Can you help me with the centre off gravity as i have set it up as the instructions say but it seams to be very nose heavy and i have no virtually no elevator control.

Thanks

Simon
Old 01-10-2010, 11:49 PM
davidj

CG should be 48 to 50mm from leading edge. If you can get it near 60 oz. it flys well but the spoilers are in the wrong location and should not be used. They are to far inboard and disrupt the air flow over the elevators and they are in front of the CG not behind it. Don't bother with the retract unless you fly off pavement as it just adds a lot of weight.

Name:	Bz77510.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	1353889  
Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
simonw

HI thanks for your help with the Ventus 2hx .

Has anyone els had and good or bad experasese with the ventus and any more tips.

thanks

Simon

Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 AM
BarracudaHockey

Mine flys ok with the CG at the back of the range. Any farther back than that and its a nightmare. It's heavy, we tow it up and its flights are marginal unless the lift is really popping. The best flights I've had are when something else was in the air and I knew there was a boomer and we towed it up and dropped it smack in the middle

To get the weight required to balance it as far up front as possible I ran a brass tube up to the tow line exit, then I filled in around it with lead bird shot mixed into epoxy. I think stick building the stab and elevator and loosing some lead in the nose would help, maybe the same with the rudder if you do it before you put it together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.