Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Glider Carrier Release

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 03:05 AM
Gtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glider Carrier Release

I've seen this but I don't know hw it was done. A large trainer type RC had a glider riding along "piggyback"/ The glider was a two chan. RC. The larger carried the glider to altitude and released it for another pilot to fly. How was this glider held onto the carrier and how was it released???
Old 05-15-2003, 07:57 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Glider Carrier Release

Ours is set up like that. It will take 2M planes easy and up to my 118 inch windrifter no problem, but I think it would have problems with large flat wing birds. Flaps on the glider also are a problem, the straps can stick in the cracks or break flaps if not done right.

Anyway, there are two small bungee cords on each side that go over the wing and hook on a sliding pin on the front. The bungees hold the glider on the rack. We fly the plane with just rudder. When you want to release, you flip the switch, the pin pulls back and releases the bungee cords which flip over the top of the wing and back. Then the glider guider pulls up and flys away while the mother pilot pushes forward a bit so they move away from each other. It works pretty well.