Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Landing skid for glider

Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 AM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing skid for glider

My boy and i started flying my trusty old Wanderer glider. We have to land on our runway because the off runway landings mess up the plane because of all the bushes. Skidding in on the asphalt runway is taking its toll on the belly of the plane. What would be a good skid material to stick to the underside to protect it.

skeeter
Old 07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Landing skid for glider

There is self adhesive plastic protective stuff or you can glue a skid on the bottom of balsa topped with thin ply and then smear some Ca over it.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Samson4721

I think maybe the plastic on a binder would work, thin durable for a little
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
kwmtrubrit

I use some black car door bumper trim. It's about 3/8in wide, half round, comes in a roll/strip and sticks with attached double sided tape. durable and cheap. If it comes off, use some double sided carpet tape and stick it back down. I've had the same piece on my Riser for 4-5yrs.

Keith
Old 08-08-2008, 09:26 PM
niner57

Am currently putting an Omega 2.5 together and can't get proper CG. I guess it's just add
weight to nose but have never seen this on any build logs on the Omega. Am running one
lipo 3s. This and motor installed doesn't bring ship to correct CG. Am a first-timer
with sailplanes..any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Niner57

P.S. Joedoe..Thank you for your response
Old 08-09-2008, 11:39 AM
KMR1

2 cts. Double sided tape and the thin plastic used for cutting veggy's on
Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 AM
pokypaden

what I have done in the past for this is to go to Home Depot and purchased a stip of rubber non slip surface (typically used for stair steps) with the self adheasive backing and cut a strip of this with sissors to fit to the shape of nose of the bottomof the plane and slap that baby on there. works great. One tip, recheck your CG and remove a little nose balance weight to compensate for the addition of the non slip surface.
good flying!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 AM
pokypaden

what I have done in the past for this is to go to Home Depot and purchased a stip of rubber non slip surface (typically used for stair steps) with the self adheasive backing and cut a strip of this with sissors to fit to the shape of nose of the bottomof the plane and slap that baby on there. works great. One tip, recheck your CG and remove a little nose balance weight to compensate for the addition of the non slip surface.
good flying!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kwmtrubrit

I use some black car door bumper trim. It's about 3/8in wide, half round, comes in a roll/strip and sticks with attached double sided tape. durable and cheap. If it comes off, use some double sided carpet tape and stick it back down. I've had the same piece on my Riser for 4-5yrs.

Keith
+1 on this. I use this stuff (from Pep-Boys) on my electric pylon racers and hotliners when I fly off paved surfaces. You can easily remove it using orange oil or goop-off spray.

Barry