Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Robbe Geier flying wing glider

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Robbe Geier flying wing glider

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:48 PM
wingnutinc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robbe Geier flying wing glider

I just completed this Geier flying wing glider. I built it from and old kit that I traded for. I'm not sure how old it might be, but I know it went through 3 other peoples hands before I got it. The wing was partly built, but the workmanship was pretty poor, so rebuilt what I could without totally destroying it. I had to make the missing fins and some other missing parts. The single page drawing that came with the kit is very detailed but the text on it is in German. We had some good wind so I was able to make a maiden flight on it, plus a couple others. I'm not a seasoned gilder or flying wing flier, so I'm not sure how this model is supposed to fly. To me it seemed to handle pretty well. I was very surprised that I had hit the CG right on, as it only needed a couple of clicks of up and left trim.
If there is anyone out there that can tell me anything about this Robbe model I would greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84191.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1006280  
Old 08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Robbe Geier flying wing glider

A friend of mine won one at the '85 Nats, so that's when it's from.

I flew it a couple of times off a winch, it thermals, but not well, it's really a sloper. It flies nice, with the CG at the right place it's cool if you slow it down, the nose bounces up and down about 3~4 times a second as it stalls then quickly recovers, then stalls again. I found it had no vices.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 PM
wingnutinc

Thanks for the info Rich.
If this model has been laying around from the late eighties, I can see way the plastic in it was so brittle and cracked easily. I figured that it was an older model when I didn't get much for hits on a Google search, but I had no idea that it could be that old.
I did my maiden flights on a slope. I thought from the shape of the airfoil that it was probably a better slopper than a floater. It has a very sharp leading edge airfoil, more like would be found on speed plans.
I did have it bobbing in a few stalls as I was trying to find it's slow speed envelope. It has a very gentle stall and just seems to sink in the stall rather than break. The full span flapperons seemed to be very effective, even in a stall. Not knowing what the control throws should be, I just swagged it and went big. I haven't worked the high speed range yet and I think I'll set the radio up with dual rates before I make go too fast, as this is my first experience with slope soaring.

Thanks again for the info on the Geier.

Jim K.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:41 AM
SoarLA45

Very nice plane! Could you send us some pics of the plane and setup? And could you please send me the plane so I can keep it nice and safe?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:37 PM
wingnutinc

Hey Alex,

Here a couple more pictures of my Geier. The first is the bottom of the wing. Then there is a closeup of the servo mounting.

Name:	Jh16029.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1006895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38305.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	1006896  
Old 08-08-2008, 05:45 PM
wingnutinc

Now that was a strange upload. Don't know why it didn't load in the usual thumbnail format.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
SoarLA45

Are those H85MG Hitec servos?
Old 08-09-2008, 01:28 PM
wingnutinc

Those are JR DS 811 servos.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:09 PM
wingnutinc

Here is a picture of the replacement fuselage. I'll smooth it up with some auto body filler and spray some paint on it to complete the job.

Name:	Qo41494.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1016097