Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Radian - a new e-glider from Parkzone

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Radian - a new e-glider from Parkzone

Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Radian - a new e-glider from Parkzone

Have you tried or seen a Radian Pro? My Radian is not in good shape.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen video, but not an actual plane.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Tom Nied

I ask because I think my first Radian is almost at the end of its life. Repaired so many times doesn't fly well anymore. I may replace with just another regular Radian. It flew very good and I experienced my first thermal flying. Best flight 1 hour 8 mins. Although I loved the longer flights, I got a real kick of getting into thermals.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:29 PM
stevewicking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wondered...how are you holding your wings on your Radian? Mine got real sloppy from inserting them friction fit. So I used tape...and it pulled foam out and was a pain. Now I am using wingstays. Does anyone else here use them?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:43 PM
gopherhunter

I use two layers of tape. The first is clear packing tape, which stays attached to the top of the wings. The second is 1 inch strapping tape (it has nylon filaments in it) that runs wing to wing, right through the fuselage. When I take the wings off, the strapping tape is thrown away, and the packing tape remains on the wing. No foam damage, and almost invisible. YMMV.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Tom Nied

I haven't done anything and mine is pretty sloppy. Probably an accident waiting to happen. But right now the motor mount is so screwed up I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Sure was fun when it was new.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:06 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been flying my Radian for a year and use nothing to hold the wings.

If the wings are so loose at the root that you are concerned you can pour hot water on the root of the wing. this will swell the foam and tighten up the fit.

or you can do as gopherhunter does and put a layer of tape on the wing, and a layer on the fuse and tape to the tape. I do this on my wood planes so I don't pull the monokote off.  Works great.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Frede2

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

right now the motor mount is so screwed up I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.
If you are talking about a loose motor mount -
I suggest removing the motor mount, spreading a very thin layer of Gorilla Glue on the area of the foam which is covered by the mount, misting inside the plastic, and reinstalling the mount.
Never again will you see any movement.

If you are talking about a damaged motor mount -
It should be replaced. It is fairly cheap and when a cracked mount decides to diassemble itself, the result is an epic mess.
Phil
Old 12-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Tom Nied

An epic mess I do have. The area where the four screws go through is completely trashed. I have a new mount, but don't see how I can easily remove the original. Any suggestions?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
gopherhunter

In little pieces... use a pair of needle-nose pliers or similar that will let you nibble off small pieces of the plastic, breaking them off as you go. I think once you get to that point, you can shove a thin blade like a butter knife in from the front, and separate the foam from the plastic. Gorilla glue the new piece. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:26 PM
guapoman2000

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys,

Like to provide you with some thoughts on one ugly crash I had with my Park Zone Radian back on September 14th, 2012. The reason I am posting this now is because I did not have time to repair my Radian until a few days ago and my findings were a little shocking, at least to me.

Here is my Report as I posted back in September 19th, 2012 at the Radian Thread and you can find the same at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=13263

================================================== ========

Friday (09-14-2012) morning at Moon Port Modelers RC Club was enjoyable and after flying my Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX, I hand launched the Park Zone Radian Powered Glider. I was tooling around close and for some reason, decided to command my Radian up higher and did not realize a strong upper level winds.

Pretty soon I found myself struggling to bring the model back over the field and it got higher very quickly and found it in a worse situation, several hundred feet down range. I was not clear on what it was doing at this point and it just circled and circled as I have a mechanical Left hand Rudder input in case all radio signal gets lost. However, it was still accepting commands from my transmitter when I powered up the motor. Just could not get it back.

Mark S., a nice friend that Lives in Titusville and who ownes an Ultra Light Experimental Aircraft was out of town that day and with luck he was back in town on Sunday (09-16-2012) and performed an aerial survey on his Aircraft and to both our surprise, found my Radian Powered Glider next to a barbed wire fence near the entrance of the Great Outdoors.

If you look the Google Map picture, the model almost traveled a full Mile ( ~ 5,000 feet) from the point of origin.

A few pictures detailing our rescue adventure:

Heading North on a dirt path road:

Looking East along the Fence:

Here is how my Park Zone Radian Powered Glider was found!

Mark and his Ultra-Lite Aircraft over the Great Outdoors!!

Digital Zoom:

================================================== =======

FAST FORWARD: January 13th, 2013 Repairs and Findings:

1. I found lots of detached Foam Hinge material from the Rudder.
2. The Elevator had suffered a slight detached hinged at where the Control Horn area.
3. The Push Rods had lots of corrosion and once lose from the servos they were very hard to push or pull within the Guide Tubes.
4. The Rudder Servo was becoming jammed as it was making a loud noise while attempting to move the Arm.
5. Elevator Servo was observed to move by itself. Without the Servo Arm, I just touched the top and it decided to move on its own and even after I removed my finger.

FINDINGS:

Certainly, during a crash into a barbed wire fence any and all damages can result from the listed observations and considering the model sat for two (2) days and nights until it was spotted by my good friend with the Ultra Light Experimental Aircraft can cause corrosion quickly as a result of the model being out at the environmental elements.

However, it is my thoughts that my lost of control was NOT caused totally from high level winds nor any issues with Spektrum AR500 Receiver (I always check to make sure it has a Solid Red/ Orange Light before hand Launch). A number of items such as Rudder Foam hinge material coming detached is another factor and the high level winds just made matters worse. Other factors are the use of cheap steel push rods as I noticed lots of pits and ruts along the push rods themselves and I had to take a hobby knife to remove these spots and used sand paper to removed corrosion from the remaining push rod assemblies. Using Lithium Grease really did the Job to lubricate the Push Rod Tubes and keep the rods from any future corrosion.

I am going to spare everyone with the detailed Airframe (FUSE) Repairs as I am pretty sure those of you out there have used CA and Hardener and everyone has there own technique so, again, I am going to show you all what I have done to make my Radian and even better flying model.

I have replaced both STOCK (PKZ1060) servos with the Digital Metal Gear type, (DSV130N). These DSV130M are used within the Park Zone Spitfire Mk IX and being metal gear are much stronger to withstand those unexpected High Level Winds or unexpected dive as a result that many have when allowing the model to attain very high altitudes and resulting in RC Flyer really not noticing what the model is doing (Dive or Climb).

My efforts here are just to alert the general RC Powered Glider Community about my findings and what I did to make my Radian a little safer in the future. I believe my work on the Push Rods and the use of Metal Gear servos will provide carefree flights. (Update: See my Latest Videos for flight results)!

Okay, finally some pictures:

Removed the STOCK PKZ1060 short lead servos:

Installed new Park Zone DSV130M (Digital - Metal Gear) Servos:

FUSE all together again and better than ever!

Replacing the STOCK Control Push Rod Keepers with Dubro (The Stock seems to be made from Aluminum and the thumb wheel just snapped off while tightening).

DUBRO Hardware on a Park Zone Product!

RESULTS: (See Videos!!!)

https://vimeo.com/57333606

https://vimeo.com/57389230
Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Maximilionalpha

This is what I use my Radian for...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W00QvCa_ixU&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]
Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM
george tarleton
My Feedback: (1)

hi! i am new to the forum. my son gave me a radian for christmas and we have managed to dork it several times. i keep hot gluing it back together. it seems to want to really fly well, then it will turn hard to left and go into dive. is this a stall? i have been out of r/c gliding for about 12 years and do not remember the cause. i have have been trying various setting, but i think i am just stumbling in the dark.
also had a head injury a few years back and get older and brain does not work as fast.
any help appreciated- thanks - george tarleton
Old 09-19-2013, 03:19 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Does anyone have a good program for the Spektrum radio for this aircraft? I've flown gliders off hi-starts and winches and mostly rudder-elevator-spoiler set-ups. This full-house set-up with flaps has me a somewhat stumped. I've downloaded the update for the Spektrum DX8 that gives sailplane programming but I'm still at a loss. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:54 PM
dahut

Love to see it - this is where I am heading in my RC endeavors.