Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Anyone know about this plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Anyone know about this plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:31 PM
trumanmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know about this plane

Hi everyone,
I have had a fuselage ordered for my Tower Hobbies Vista EP for 3 months. It was to be here late December. Now it will be late March. I have decided to buy another 2m glider and it won't be from Tower Hobbies.

Does anyone know anything about this plane? http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8372
This plane is in my price range and I think it looks great but I don't want to buy junk. Everything I have ordered from these people in the past has been OK.

Thanks,
Truman
Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone know about this plane

I'm never seen that one fly but it looks alright for a foamie. If you were to invest your money into something like a Gentle Lady or another wood kit you'd get the pleasure of both building and flying your plane. There's a great feeling when you see what arrived as a box of sheet wood and sticks take to the air. Most of the wood 2 meter planes can handle an electric motor system in them and will fly as good as if not better than a foam plane.

Setting up for building a 2 meter plane is not that expensive to do as long as you already have your radio equipment. There are a number of build threads on the web that could help you if you run into problems. If you're not a member of a local club then I'd suggest that you join one. Having other members makes flying more fun and most are glad to help you build your plane.

Here's an example of a Gentle Lady. It's a pure glider that can be electrified with ease. It's been around forever and has one of the best reputations you can get.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76935.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1112299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51512.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1112300  
Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$34 for a fuse, $89 for a whole plane and it's in stock......

Just the fuse and you'll have to reuse your stabs, elevato and rudder by cutting them off the old fuse....
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not seen that plane, but after reading the specs I note that the stated all up weight for this 2M glider is 520 grams or about 19 ounces. That seems nearly impossible.

$120 for a receiver ready 2M electric glider with brushless motor and, if I read it right, 2 free lipo packs. That is an incredible deal. And the fuselage parts are cheap. I would suggest buying at least 2 spare props when you buy the plane, just because that is what is most likely to be damaged.

I have had a couple of EPO foam planes. It seems fine for smaller models but I don't like it for the long wings of a glider. But if they put some good stiffeners in the wings, they should probably be OK.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 AM
qldviking

I agree with getting spare props/blades, they will cop a caning and broken ones will happen
Old 02-01-2009, 07:27 AM
trumanmc

Thanks Guys,
I don't think I could build a plane due to numb fingers from a bad disc in my back. I have a hard time holding small parts in my right hand.
I took a chance and ordered the plane from HobbyCity and I will let you know how it flies. It should be here by next weekend.
Truman
Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope it works outwell for you, but if it doesn't, don't be discouraged. There are planty of good quality ARF, receiver ready and RTF planes out there. You don't have to be a builder to be a flyer.

Considering fingers and back problem, foam planes would be the best material for you.