Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Sophistcated Lady Re-Do

Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 AM
maynardrupp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sophistcated Lady Re-Do

I have an older Sophisticated Lady that is in great shape. I would like to update it with a newer type motor, ESC, and Lipo pack. What do the experts think? I did fly the airplane about 15 years ago and I do fly RC planes with engines. I just hate to keep moving the "lady" around my workshop and the old drive system wasn't great. What and where do I get a new folding prop? What motor, ESC, and LiPo pack should I buy?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:54 AM
BMatthews

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Sophistcated Lady Re-Do

It would be a marvelous conversion. I remember seeing some Goldberg Electras fly over the years and it was pretty apparent to me that the wing used on the two Lady's and Electra does not like heavier wing loadings. Switching to a far lighter motor and battery pack combo will reduce the weight of your SL down to where the airfoil will again be happy and the model will appear to float more readily when flying.

You'll want a motor with a low Kv value and that can handle up somewhere around 150 to 180 watts without over heating. But these days you can find such a motor that is about 1/2 the weight of the old brushed can motors that would handle that much power. And I'm pretty sure the 3 cell Lipo pack is much less than 1/2 the weight of the old classic NiCd packs. So all in all your power package will be less than 1/2 the weight of before.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:45 PM
snobelt

On the topic of the "Ladys" - I am considering both of the kits, but (of course, there's always a but) I have never flown a glider other than on a sim. I have and do fly both nitro and electric RC planes and a small heli. Recently I have become intrigued with the gliders. They seem so pure. I am wondering though, if I should go with an electric glider for a starter plane or try the hi-start launch version. So, my questions are twofold: one, does the ease of launching an electric plane make up for the extra weight (and presumably shorter glide time)? Is the trade off worth it? Part two - and here I guess I'm looking for an emotional response - does adding the motor sort of defile the purity of a sailplane. Yeah I know that's an obtuse question but I figure you guys who fly sailplanes must have strong feelings about that sort of stuff. I'd appreciate your answers. OK - one last thing - are the Goldberg "Ladys" good starter planes or should I be looking in another direction entirely? I love building almost as much as flying so that is not an issue. Thanks much.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:21 AM
maynardrupp

I haven't flown mine in years, but it was not hard except on windy days. These "ladys" haven't much penetration ability. I said mine is a "Sophisticated Lady", but I think the kit was called "Electric Lady". I have both.. The Gentle Lady and the electric version. The motor and battery give the airplane much better penetration, (flying upwind). At our field we don't allow a Hi Start rig because no one else can fly until you remove the stuff from the runway area. If you were in a sailplane oriented club it might be OK, but not when you are trying to mix in with other RC airplanes.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 PM
snobelt

Thanks for the input - good points. I do fly mostly at a field with other people and can see how a hi-start would annoy them. The wind penatration is also a good point. I don't want to be limited to calm days. I know how few there really are - I fly a light heli and usually have to wait till around sunset for light wind conditions.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:36 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hi,
A buddy and myself are building GLs with the AG 35... airfoils (same as the alegro lite) and I beam spars, moving the battery and servos forward of the LE. This allows for balast weight to be fastened at the CG (using the Hook threads left long and a wing nut). No wind restrictions for us!
Dr Mark Drela's AG airfoils can be downloaded from
charlesriverrc.org
Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aeros...eLadyIdeas.htm
Second row, 2nd and 3rd pictures..
The external pod leaves the basic airplane unmodified.
With the GL it always comes out tail heavy, so extending the nose permits moving the receiver battery forward in lieu of adding ballast.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:47 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

What Tall Paul said,
Yep they tend to be a little tail heavy so be glue concious when building the tail. We extended the nose block 50% and dremeled out the block so the battery would slide partially into the block.