Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Radian sailplane opinions please

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Radian sailplane opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM
spirit pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radian sailplane opinions please

Recently came out of my cave and learned of the Radian. I would appreciate any comments anyone would be willing to share on this glider.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:27 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Re

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=5596

Here's a start for you to check out.

While I haven't flown one myself I've hear a lot of good things about the Radian. There are a couple of guys at my local field that have picked them up and seem to be enjoying them.

Jeff
Old 02-11-2009, 09:44 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent first e-gldier to lean to fly or to learn to ride thermals

Excellent e-glider for an experienced pilot to use to train others

Excellent travel glider to take with you on vacation

Excellent quick into the air glider for some quick sport flying

Excellent first slope glider for moderate conditions.

Buy it, you'll like it!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hi,
Would you getting out of the cave be a sign of spring? I think AEAJR likes the Radian It has been getting good reviews and is a good flying and repairable craft...not at all a bad combination. I believe it is becoming the trainer glider of choice in some glider clubs.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:48 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: spirit pilot

Recently came out of my cave and learned of the Radian. I would appreciate any comments anyone would be willing to share on this glider.

Spirit pilot,

What is your background? Did you start on the Spirit? That was my first glider.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 PM
UpToto

I LIKE this glider. An hour flight with 7-8 climbs on battery in minimal lift is good to me. Bought one to get flying fixes in while building an OLYIISe.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:22 PM
epoxy123

Was thinking about buying a Radian. Sounds like everyone who has one is really pleased.
Typically what kind of wind conditions can it handle?
Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
TRAXXAS829

Doesn't like too much wind. It'll penetrate up to about 10 mph.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM
UpToto

I am still astounded at the performance of this glider. Radian not failsafe though. Nice day here in Kansas. After about 1/2 hour flight Radian went into diving left turn with no response on transmitter. Funny thing...I don't hear well from weapons, rotor blades and maybe some rocknroll? I swear I could hear the motor running at almost full speed. Crashed into a hedge row with major damage. Throttle was off at time of glitch. Transmitter was still a green light. I am still in shock as I liked flying this thing.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:14 PM
spirit pilot

Thanks to all who took the time to give their opinions here. Im sold. Now if this @#$ Iowa winter would just end.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM
phillipmorris

Default RE: Radian sailplane opinions please

Pssst
No reason to wait for the winter to end, put on some duds and your off, just in moments ago near an hour flight, dang Radian hit lift after noticing some dead sink, realized must be some lift about to come in, and wham, up she goes, larger section of the field turned into a lift zone similar to what happened about a week ago, it refused to want to come down and kept climbing, Radian attracted two hawks who mirrored my flight for a few moments, as Radian was instructing them, hi hi...last had to do nail biting down stick and spirals to bring it back from outerspace, do I like it, oh yeah, hi hi...haven't a clue how to keep it under control when spring gets here let alone summer, its a true winner...<>..lets see maybe a few dozen sinkers will keep her level, hmmm...<>.

Serious note on winds it handles up to 10 MPH with ease according to the pilots skill, but Radian does manage 15 MPH or more but not the enjoyable normal flights..<>..tho did rather well with a smooth 18 MPH, however beware of gusty conditions..<>..

Last if your a raw beginner at least get help with this dude, its brushless, and glides to the Never Never Land so you ceratainly need a huge area at least on the maiden flights, at fruit top tree high it will cover over a football field and then some with its awsome long glide...I personally suggest slightest down elevator on this puppie, or at least flush, certainly no up elevator, motor will set it on its tail so just over half throttle will give a nice easy ride, infact my first flights were all only 1/2 throttle, now I use max only at bursts to accomplish lightening fast elevations, during landing of course with the ground effect add some more downtrim as usually needed, have some room behind you as the first landings will likely overshoot to the other end of the field, hi hi..nice isn't it !!
Old 02-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Tinkrerpilot

phillipmorris

Great flight report! Knowing that it will thermal in the winter is a hoot. Will be picking one up later towards the end of the month.
Other half wnats to learn to fly too. SO, there is a plus side to getting it. Already have a Spectrum radio, so there is the buddy cord all ready to go. It is always good to here the teasing of the hawks coming out to check things over. Always interesting to hear. Better with pictures, never forgotten.

spirit pilot

Everything that has been written for the Radian and all the reports say that it is a good buy and a good plane for the new ones. Add a couple of battery packs to the list and there is a good day to be had just flying the daylights out of it. For the price and al lthe reports. It is a tough one to beat.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 AM
Tinkrerpilot

phillipmorris

Great flight report! Knowing that it will thermal in the winter is a hoot. Will be picking one up later towards the end of the month.
Other half wnats to learn to fly too. SO, there is a plus side to getting it. Already have a Spectrum radio, so there is the buddy cord all ready to go. It is always good to here the teasing of the hawks coming out to check things over. Always interesting to hear. Better with pictures, never forgotten.

spirit pilot

Everything that has been written for the Radian and all the reports say that it is a good buy and a good plane for the new ones. Add a couple of battery packs to the list and there is a good day to be had just flying the daylights out of it. For the price and al lthe reports. It is a tough one to beat.