Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Radian Battery Packs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radian Battery Packs

How large is the Radian's battery compartment? Would I be able to use 3S 2100mAh LiPo packs in it (100mm x 34mm x 27mm), instead of the smaller 1300mAh packs that come with it? I've got six of these 3S 2100mAh packs for my other electric planes, it would be nice not to have to buy more packs for the Radian if I get one.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:39 PM
-pkh-

Default RE: Radian Battery Packs

If nobody knows if the larger battery will fit, can someone give me the dimensions of the LiPo battery pack that comes with the Radian? Horizon's website doesn't list any info on the pack (dimensions, max current draw, etc.)

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 PM
UpToto

6.5cmX2.3cmX3.2 in shrink wrap but not measuring the wiring harness. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
-pkh-

Thanks!

I just ordered a Radian RTF from Ultimate Hobbies. If my 2100mAh packs won't fit, I guess I'll have to get some smaller packs from HobbyCity, they have some 3S 1300mAh packs that are about the same size as the stock battery.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

The larger packs fit fine, but they have WAYYYYY more capacity than you need, they add weight, and move the cg significantly forward of where most sailplane flyers prefer.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 PM
OEMFlyer

pkh
I have had my Radian since christmas and have flone severl times in temps anywhere from 15- 40 degrees. Flight durations from 30- 45 min. depending on lift. The most I have put back into my lipo pack was about 650ma.-or about half of its capacity. If you really want to make a day of flying I would get one more lipo pack the same size as the one it comes with. You will love this sailplane!!! good luckOEMFlyer
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
-pkh-

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

I maidened my Radian on Friday, flew it twice. I limited my flights to about 10 minutes, but I quickly understood why the 1300mAh packs were more than enough. This is my first sail plane. I didn't realize how long it would stay in the air, even without riding some thermals. I think if I just get a second 1300mAh pack, I could fly this thing all day (one charging and one in the air). Nice flying plane. Definitely feels different from the planes I'm used to flying.