Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hoover Dam

Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Steve108
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoover Dam

Has anyone ever gone slope soaring at the Hoover dam? I don't know if you can with security and all but if you spit off the top it goes up over your head and lands behind you.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:35 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hoover Dam

LOL... Interesting "lift test" there Steve. I'm pretty sure that you could fly a brick there if you could mount controls on it. I don't think they allow flying off the dam though. It would be a great place to fly but like most of the really good spots, someone has something against it.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Steve108
My Feedback: (36)

Yea, I figure that would be a problem. Maybe there are some other smaller dams shaped the same with less security.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I could stand that close to the edge without getting the heeebieegeebiees
Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 PM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Well you're supposed to be looking up at your plane Vic. Not down at the bottom of the dam.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:34 AM
simmo8

lol i thaught the same thing i was there about 4 weeks ago and was thinking the exact same thing
Old 03-13-2009, 04:39 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: scaflock

LOL Well you're supposed to be looking up at your plane Vic. Not down at the bottom of the dam.
Up!? What fun is that?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's more fun down and then screaming up at cha...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Ron Landram

First of all the prevailing wind blows from the southwest which is down the canyon not across it.

They would never let you fly from the dam itself because of security and the crowds of visitors and traffic. They do not allow anything to be thrown from the dam, I think including airplanes.

There is really no place to land other than the busy street. If you lose it behind you, you're in the lake.

However, thinking about it, on the Arizona side of the dam, at the 14 mile marker there is a turn out with a senic view point next to the road that goes down to Willow Beach (on the Colorado River) and the drop off there is about 800 feet. It faces south west so the wind should blow right up the slope.